• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Servicing

Hubby said when type r's go in for a service it needs to be done at Honda. Reason for it so he says is that the I VEC has a valve that needs to be checked and changed, and the only people who will do it is honda. Is that true ? If not then can anyone tell me more about this valve so I can ask my garage to look at it ?
Thanks

No I'm afraid it's not true. Actually happily it's not true as it won't cost you an arm and a leg to get it done at a local garage. Basically if your car has more than around 60,000 on the clock, you need the valve clearances done, it's an easy job, a bit like the old tappets on older cars. It can be done by any competent mechanic. If the car has over 100,000 you might want him to check the timing chain and tensioner at the same time aswell, these have a good life, but for safety's sake, you may aswell get them swapped out at this point. Make sure you get the oil and filter for him, Fuchs Pro Race from Opie Oils in the trader section is the oil of choice for most as it has a higher burning temp, so works well in the K20 engine. You can also get the HAMP filters from him at the same time. Hope this helps, Darren ;)

Valve clearances? I think people usually have them checked every 25-30k miles or so? They can be checked/adjusted by any mechanic with the know-how, just make sure they have the engine stone cold when they do it

Ok thanks guys just going to book it into honda im sure they know what they are doing. My car has done 48k but I haven't had a service since I brought it 6 months ago.
Must be the valve clearances he was talking about. Cool thank you !

Back