• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Shell FuelSave

You can't just switch a tank of fuel and then directly compare MPG and performance with the previous taank, you need to have a couple of full tank fulls through to make a proper comparison IMO. :idea:

Agreed with that.

On my first tank of VP, which was in actuality half a tank of old regular unleaded and a half tank of VP, I got a gain of 10 miles to a tank. Worked out prior that a gain of 10 miles per tank, roughly, would negate the cost of the extra £2 or whatever it is.

So now that I'm running through more tanks of VP, I'm really quite pleased :)

shell garage employees in the south east have a prerequisite to not speak any english and have a penchant for card cloning. infact, if they don't list successful scamming and cloning in their previous job experience they do not get the job.

bonus points awarded for: not smiling, all having the same name, talking on blue tooth headset to a friend in native language when taking your card or money.

:lol:

Well I filled up this morning after using a full tank of this coverved 300 miles and that gave an average of 36.9mpg.

Well I filled up this morning after using a full tank of this coverved 300 miles and that gave an average of 36.9mpg.

How did you work that out?

50litres = 11 Gallons (UK)

300miles / 11Gallons = 27.27 mpg

And thats only if your tank was completely empty which it wont have been

I used some online calculator thing, typed in the amount of litres purschased, then the miles covered pressed enter and it gave me that mpg.

The only was to get 36.9mpg over 300 miles is by using 8 Gallons which equates to around 36 litres

Reset your tripmeter when you have filled a full tank, then when you go to fill up again write down how many miles you have done since the last fill up and use that receipt to work it out. It will be much more accurate than guessing from a mark on your fuel gauge, or from when the red light comes on.

Reset your tripmeter when you have filled a full tank, then when you go to fill up again write down how many miles you have done since the last fill up and use that receipt to work it out. It will be much more accurate than guessing from a mark on your fuel gauge, or from when the red light comes on.

I might do next time, but to be honest im not too fussed about mpg, I just thought I'd post up mpg from first tank of fullsave.

The only was to get 36.9mpg over 300 miles is by using 8 Gallons which equates to around 36 litres

Ok my fault sorry I should have said I didn't have a completly empty tank when i filled up, I only purchased about 36.88 litres.

Out of interest what website do you use? I use two of them, but one gives me how much I pay per mile aswell which is quite handy sometimes.

I found it through the forum, there was a link on here sometime ago.
The site is called eforcourt mpg calculator or something.

I'm running on pretty much 90-100% fuelsave now. put £50 of fuelsave in couple of weeks ago and another £60 in today.

I got 340 miles out of this tank.
11.2 gallons to fill back up to the top.
30.35mpg

I'm well impressed. Will check again on the next refill to confirm. :)

I've put three tanks in now and I thought I'd share my results 32.39, 33.89 and 33.72 mpg. I usually struggle to get above 30.

I think fuel is a bit of a voodoo science though as their are too many factors (journey/driving style) I use Shell standard any way as it's the cheapest round by me so I'll be sticking with it.

It certainly hasn't reduced my mpg and the car runs well on it.

I have to agree with sublow. ^^^^^

I usually get nowhere near 30mpg. The car seems to be running well, even though the sticker under the fuel cap says '98 RON minimum'

Mine usually runs rich, so I'm not sure if running a lower octane fuel helps the engine run leaner at higher revs?

I'm not sure how it works on high mileage engines with worn out piston rings......

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the feedback, I'll probably give this a go myself, haven't used anything else other than V-Power for over a year now. I normally get between 300-330miles a tank until the red light comes on with v-power which is normaally fairly consistent - although not really an accurate test, will see how I get on with this stuff.

Latest result on mine :

132.5 miles
21.73ltrs
27.68mpg

this is with a mix of calm driving, urban, heavy m25 traffic and some serious vtec action, when conditions allowed. :)

Stu thanks for the info. I'm currently running mainly on V Power but with fuel prices and the amount of miles I'm doing I might switch. Do you notice any kind of performance issues at all?

Not on mine, but then I run 11/12:1 AFR in vtec, so it may not affect mine. Is yours a pre or post, chris?

It's a pre and standard (although I might actually get my decat fitted tomorrow). I take it until a controller is fitted it's too risky?

it's hard to say. pre has the old stubborn ecu. :(

I reckon that a 50/50 mix of v-power (99) and fuelsave (95) could be ok. most s/ul is 97 RON anyway and i've never heard any owner complain about 97 ron fuel. :)

i paid 114.9p per litre for fuelsave earlier, which is probably £3 or £4 per tank cheaper than v-power. :D

Back