• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Shell FuelSave

Got my first tank of FuelSave over the weekend, going fairly good at the moment. Done 80 miles so far and the needle is still less than a quarter off the red line... so pretty similar consumption to, if not better than v-power.

Haven't noticed any difference in performance at all but that could be down to me having the oil changed recently as well.

From my experience of experimenting with different fuels on my FN2 CTR I have found that V-power only gives a tiny mpg increase.

However i have also noted that v-power does seem to make the throttle response a little better in the 2-4K rev bracket and generally feels smoother in this region of the powerband. Its also got the benefit of being better for the engines internal. I think i will be swapping back to it after this tank of normal unleaded has gone.

at the moment, i'm running mostly fuelsave. i put £20 of excellium 97 in there as well.

Getting 27mpg at the moment. :)

It's all placebo probably. LOL.

Instead of making some new fuel - bring the price down of the existing fuel already available - and let the driver decide whether they want to fuel save, rather than offer us something that will help. Taking advantage of the circumstances. Cunning.

Tesco momentum FTW.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been running Fuel Save for a couple of months now, been getting 31mpg average which around what I was getting on V-power and performance doesn't feel any different. Nearly £5 a tank cheaper too. :)

I'm a V-power whore but put Fuel Save in Jayne's EX.

Not noticed any difference in MPG to be honest, she normally gets 36-38mpg to my 26-28mpg :lol:

8 pages of this thread and I still have no clue if this stuff is really worth it or not in the long run. So for my own tests this whole month Im only using Fuel Save. Then next month only V Power, although I know I roughly average 26mpg on the power anyway.

I'm happy to pay for whatever gives me the best performance. The car doesn't pull as hard and I get worse economy on 95 but I've yet to see or feel a difference between 97 and anything higher.

Yeah, I'm biased toward performance over economy - though saving a bit of coin, is always nice.

Is your S not set-up to maximise the benefits of 97ron?

8 pages of this thread and I still have no clue if this stuff is really worth it or not in the long run. So for my own tests this whole month Im only using Fuel Save. Then next month only V Power, although I know I roughly average 26mpg on the power anyway.

This - I'm way too cynical, and sheepish to revert to a lesser ron.

Wow. Halfway through, yet the trip computer says 5-miles to empty? Yikes.

Sounds as though you might be right, as regards to the S4 being mapped to process 97 ron.

If I'm honest, I can't say I've actually noticed the difference between fuels/ron; I sheepishly stick with V-Power, due to the supposed additives in the formula. Conversely, I suppose I'd have to fill her up to the brim to experience the benefits and differences? I rarely do this, as it's more of a license for me to drive uneconomically a lot of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think most people notice that much difference in fuel consumption (if any) but the general feeling seems to be that Fuelsave doesn't feel much different to V-power in terms of response/performance. Which to me is a good thing now that v-power is like £65 a tank!

Fuelsave definitely doesn't perform as well as V-Power when you're caning it.
Well I'd certainly hope it doesn't otherwise there's no point in paying extra for it! However compared to what was normal shell 95ron, fuelsave doesn't seem a lot different to v-power. And given that some people don't actually notice the benefits of v-power in the first place, this fuelsave stuff can't be that bad.

So I've been using this is the 206 as of late.

Two tanks to be precise.

It's working too. I have seen a increase of 40 miles per tank, even in this freezing weather.

I have a fairly controled method for testing this as I commute to work everyday in a total of about 50 miles. I normally get 400 miles to a tank and have been getting 400+ with the fuelsave with a less frugal driving style and in - degree temperatures.

It works, buy it for your non performance, general vehicles.

Back