• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Should I do the timing chain on my EP3?

As the title says... The car is reaching 113k miles. Even though the car gets driven quite hard it is very well taken care of and the car is driving fine at the moment.

Can't remember the service interval but isn't it check at 50000 and 100000 and then every 15k after 100000 and replace if needed?

Service book originally said do it at 100k, then they changed it to a part for life.

Personally I had mine done at 100k, the outlay is minimal compared to if it goes.

I needed a new chain and tensioner at 46k on my FN2. It had a hard life and the Skunk2 cams didn't help. My EP3 was fine at 56k when I sold it. It's hard to tell really.

I'd definitely do it at 100k regardless though.

If it's been driven hard would it benefit from the Toda chain and tensioner? Is the Toda an upgrade? Just wondering when mine's due would it be worth using the Toda instead of OEM?

To answer the your question I would do it.

Yeah I was being told that it's a part for life which is why I was wondering if I should do it or not.

But I will be doing this within the next few weeks. Where can I get the Toda chain and tensioner? Do they do the guides as well?

Thanks for the replies

Toda chain and tensioner can be found at CPL Racing, Tdi Plc you would have to search for other sites, however, they are £££ probably £300+ for both. I don't think they do guides so I would presume you would get OEM guides.

The question then I suppose is, is the Toda chain and tensioner worth the extra £££'s over the OEM? Keen to get other people's opinion on this.

Just had a look on the CPL site. Almost £400 for both. I think for myself that is too much of a stretch at the moment. As I would like to do the guides too and I'm going to be forking out for service parts as well (new tyres, discs and pads all round, oil, gearbox oil, plugs etc).

Yep that's what I'd like to know as well, is it worth it?
Has the Toda chain and tensioner been made for mainly the more heavily modified civics? My car has only got a gruppe m and a custom b-pipe.

There's nothing wrong with OEM it'll be fine to use OEM chain, tensioner and guides and seems your on 113k I would get it done soon out of peace of mind and stick with OEM. You'll save a decent amount of money for other service parts too.

I just thought would the Toda be a better option if the car's being used hard.

But, again, I wonder if the Toda is that much better though? To justify the price tag lol.

OEM are fine unless you are running cams with a bit of lift that are hard on the chain and tensioner. Like Skunk2 or some of the wilder Todas where you'd be doing valve springs anyway, or if you've a setup that benefits from raising the rev limit, again this is usually with cams or forced induction where you can make more power by revving the motor out.

So really it wouldn't be worth getting the Toda chain and tensioner unless you have a seriously tuned motor like running cams or forced induction etc.

May as well stick with OEM then :).

Or if planning such mods. No point to get a new oem timing chain kit only for to bin it a bit down the road because your choice of mods would benefit with the toda.

If you've no plans on modifying internals or going forced induction with big power then stay oem.

If you have such plans, may as well go with the toda now.

I'm at 108k and I haven't done the timing chain yet well there's no history if it's already been done. If the chain need replacing wouldn't the engine management come on as the chain would stretch and miss a tooth or something? could be wrong! I thought the timing chain is meant to last for life if the car has been well maintened!

I'm at 108k and I haven't done the timing chain yet well there's no history if it's already been done. If the chain need replacing wouldn't the engine management come on as the chain would stretch and miss a tooth or something? could be wrong! I thought the timing chain is meant to last for life if the car has been well maintened!

Most people change them out of peace of mind.

I think it would be good practise to change it at around 100k you know it'll be good then. The cost of getting done outweighs the cost of not doing it if something should happen.

Most people change them out of peace of mind.

I think it would be good practise to change it at around 100k you know it'll be good then. The cost of getting done outweighs the cost of not doing it if something should happen.

Yep, bang on.

Even though I've done many timing belt jobs, this would be my first timing chain job. Looking forward to it :D

Not necessarily. They can stretch as well. Friend of mine has an EVO X with FSH and when he changed the timing chain it had stretched to a point were timing was out by a tooth and a half.

Mines on 156000 now. Still on original timing chain. I've read on here and elsewhere that Honda say its good for the life of the car. I don't nail it everywhere though to be fair.

I don't believe everything I read on the net but I'll take my chances with this one.

Back