• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Should I remove radiator fan on track car

Ok so as per title I am wondering wether or not I should leave the fan off the radiator for my track car build.

I received my new 35mm aluminium radiator today and when trying to swap I found the original fans do not line up very well at all, should I send the radiator back or just run without? Another possibility is to put on a 16” electric fan, it will be filled with water and water wetter only and AC has been removed so air flow will be better to the radiator.

I have been doing a bit of research on this with other cars and it seems to get mixed opinions on wether it is fine to run without, so figured I’d ask the question on here. TIA

Big old NOPE! Keep an aftermarket fan but on a switch. Make sure you have a good temp gauge, and keep an eye on it. Getting rid completely is not a good idea as you can guarantee you’re gonna need it one day. Just my 2p dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I note you say fans, only one is a cooling the fan other is the a/c fan which you can remove as you say you've no a/c, yes you will need a fan for track days and possibly an oil cooler...

Big old NOPE! Keep an aftermarket fan but on a switch. Make sure you have a good temp gauge, and keep an eye on it. Getting rid completely is not a good idea as you can guarantee you’re gonna need it one day. Just my 2p dude.

Is there any after market gauges designed for an EP3 that are any good, I have found lots of universal ones on eBay but most require cutting in to the top hose, ideally I’d like to use the original probe hole in the new radiator for either an electrical or mechanical type.

I note you say fans, only one is a cooling the fan other is the a/c fan which you can remove as you say you've no a/c, yes you will need a fan for track days and possibly an oil cooler...

As you can maybe tell I am quite new to working on a track car, so lots to learn lol I did think one would have been for the AC, can you tell me which fan is for the AC? I would hazard a guess at the RH side one? If so it is actually the LH side fan that does not line up properly

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get good gauges but they cost a fair bit. Look at people like Demon Tweeks for good gauges. Depo or Defi are good quality and reliable. Anything digital is always a good starting place.

Just another thought, if I get a new slim fan would I be able to use the existing wiring to the radiator fan to run a slim line style fan? If so this would eliminate the need for a switch in the cabin correct?

The nearside fan is the cooling fan (passenger side), EP3's are not know for cooling problems, even on track because of the large OEM radiator and mine is standard OEM cooling, although I've fitted an oil cooler, which means it carries about half a litre more oil, if the oil gets too hot the VTEC stops working, I've tracked mine at Castle Coombe, Brands & Spa with no cooling problems at all...

In my opinion, improve the handling & stopping for track days before worrying about the cooling.

The radiator on the car was a bit banged up so I figured I may as well replace with an aluminium one to start with, but unfortunately the fans do not line up to the holes in the new radiator.

I have messaged the company informing them of the poor fitment, so will see what they come back with.

In the mean time I now want to install a water temp gauge lol do you happen to know what size the probe thread is and can I remove and use the existing position for a new gauge probe?

I am also on with the other things you suggested doing for the track, it is a project for me which I have been doing for a while now and I am hoping to get it track ready for summer 18 so have now started to spend some money on bits for the car, I ordered my seats today & roll cage is next, after that I’ll be on suspension and braking.

The nearside fan is the cooling fan (passenger side), EP3's are not know for cooling problems, even on track because of the large OEM radiator and mine is standard OEM cooling, although I've fitted an oil cooler, which means it carries about half a litre more oil, if the oil gets too hot the VTEC stops working, I've tracked mine at Castle Coombe, Brands & Spa with no cooling problems at all...

In my opinion, improve the handling & stopping for track days before worrying about the cooling.

Didn't know that, everyday is a school day.

I would say the hottest track day we've had was at Cadwell back in August and I think we suffered more than the car did. :lol:

We're changing the rad now only because it's split. Original part and the car is an '02.

No oil cooler on it yet.

Back