• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Show me your tweeters folks, pretty please!!

I used to have mine in the footwell close to the woofer by pointing upwards in a cross-direction path accross the cabin. It sounded more complete with the comps I was running in me old car

Red said:
Hobbes said:
zeffania said:
Mine are in the footwell as I was trying to keep mine closer to the source

:? Tweeters in the footwells

Personally being an Audio "Hussy" that I am, If I had components you want the tweeters around Ear level...........

However depends on how much you wanna hack your car around.

Just the sound will be bouncing round in the footwells first before "washing" out into the car............ as I said its only because I'm so anal about music and sound............... you should see the trouble I'm having convincing my folks to mount their surround sound kit speakers in the right places!!!!

LOL!

Well, techincally, you're wrong :wink:

I really read up on this when I was installing a system, and I mean REALLY read up on it. The average audiophile declares that the tweeters should be at ear level, or at least at dash level and pointing up to the ears, but the real hardcore motherf*ckers agree that they should be as close to the mid drivers as possible to elimiate delay between the two sounds.

Unless you've got the ability to delay the tweeter sound by fractions of milliseconds then the only solution is to have both sounds coming from the same place or very close to each other.

I'm sure 99.9% of people couldn't really tell either way (including me) but if you want to be really audio freaky about it then this is the way to go.

I did this in my old civic to see if I could notice the difference. I don't think I could to be honest, but it definitely didn't sound any worse, and it did seem to alter the sound stage in a good way. It was very balanced and seemed to fill the car a lot better.

The only problem with tweeters in the footwell is you need to angle them quite steeply up towards you or, as you say, the sound gets directed into people legs!

Thats why the most fussy audiophiles would use time alignment :wink:

Funky said:

Yeah but how many people go that far in a car audio setup? :) I can understand it for home cinema where the speakers are static but in a car that's just going too far.

Red said:
Funky said:

Yeah but how many people go that far in a car audio setup? :) I can understand it for home cinema where the speakers are static but in a car that's just going too far.

Many headunits come with TA as standard, Alpine 9855 and Pioneer 8600 for example. IIRC Pioneer do auto TA as well via a microphone :)

Funky said:
Red said:
Funky said:

Many headunits come with TA as standard, Alpine 9855 and Pioneer 8600 for example. IIRC Pioneer do auto TA as well via a microphone :)

I've never been convinced that those auto jobbies with microphones could actually work well in a car. It's just not a good environment for audio at all.

Red said:
I've never been convinced that those auto jobbies with microphones could actually work well in a car. It's just not a good environment for audio at all.

I agree here. My mate tried it with one of his pioneers. Not only did it takes agaes to do, it sounded awful afterwards

Best thing to do it to play it by the ears and fine tune it according to you taste and perhap to the kind of music you listen to most!

Still fine tuning mine! :D

Regardless of a cars crappy acoustics compared to a home hifi system, time alignment does make a big difference. It stands to reason really, if one speaker is 3-4x as far from you as another then without any TA you're gonna unconciously hear the track at different times in each ear.

If you play around with TA you can definitely hear the sound move around the car. :)

Back