• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sickly's wheel, Rota, offset etc mongo questions thread

Right chaps, I need to call upon the vast amount of collective knowledge available on this fine site. (I've had a search and haven't found what I'm looking for :lol:)

Bhasically,

As some of you may or may not know, I recently fitted an excellent Wilwood brake setup to my car. Banging.

As a result of fitting these bigger brakes, I now have to run 5mm wheel spacers to clear (juuust) the calipers. A downside to these spacers is that my wheels are now no longer hubcentric as hubcentric 5mm spacers do not exist and are physically impossible to manufacture so I am now suffering from very slight wheel wobble at motorway speed that gets worse at "higher" speeds. Plus I feel that this setup is weak and if too much stress was somehow put into it whether it be a pothle or whatever, then this would be the point of failure and my wheels would fall off :(

The two main routes or remedying this horror is to either fit bigger hubcentric spacers that would require extended wheels studs which (so I have been assured) requires new wheel bearings to be fitted as the old ones need to come off and cannot be put back on again. This route is hella $$$ plus I really can't afford to have the car in at a garage at the moment as it is my daily drive and I cannot realistically get an alternative way into/back from work.

The other route that occured to me in a desktop daydream today is to fit aftermarket wheels that have sufficient negative(?) offset to negate the need for spacers and can clear the calipers on their own, then this would be a more pleasing and easy alternative.

Now I am a total noob when it comes to wheels and have only in the past 5 minutes learnt what wheel offset actually is. So I just thought I'd get some expert opinions on whether or not this is actually feasable or not. Even if I could get wheels with just slightly more offset than my OEM's, so that I could run 3mm (if they exist) spacers and the lip on the hub could catch the wheel centre therefore holding it concentrically.

I'm sorry if that makes no sense at all guys, it was written on the fly and in a hurry.

Cheers for reading chaps, all input welcome!

Y'all stay classy now

New wheels will work fine mate, don't know about offset size specifics, ask Sun, he would know. Stock offset is +45 so at a guess some wheels that are 17*7 +40 would fit?

You've got a Teg right mate?

What's the wheel specs of your OEM's, including offset?

Technically, if you go for the same wheel size and width, but in a lower off-set to what you currently have by (x amount of ET = mm that you need), you should have no problems. So if your OEM's are +45 for example and you went +38-ish on your new wheels, it would push the wheel out by circa 7mm and hopefully give you the extra space that you require.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC2 is 5*114.3, offset is 50, 15" wheel, can't find the width. If you are on stock wheels now, then a wheel that is the same width as OEM with a 45 offset would work.

I reckon something similar width to OEM on a +45 would be fine, however I'd personally go +42, +43 to be certain of clearance.

I hate doing the maths for offsets LOL.

Aftermarket wheels is an opportunity to lower the offset. High off-sets aren't a bad thing, but lower off-sets improve the appearance of the car by filling out the arches. Performance wise you can increase the track-widths which has it's own benefits if done correctly.

OEM wheels irrespective of the Honda, are almost always high. +50 is pretty high, I think the DC5's are the worst +60 possibly. We stuck some +42's on Harv's car and that difference was epic - made the car look like it was rolling on wider wheels, however they were the same width's and size as OEM's - just pushed out all round by almost 2cm.

Aftermarket wheels as an opportunity to lower the offset. High off-sets aren't a bad thing, but lower off-sets improve the appearance of the car by filling out the arches.

OEM wheels irrespective of the Honda, are almost always high. +50 is pretty high, I think the DC5's are the worst +60 possibly. We stuck some +42's on Harv's car and that difference was epic - made the car look like it was rolling on wider wheels, however they were the same width's and size as OEM's.

I take it with a lower offset, you are also widening the effective track of the car, which will improve handling?

I take it with a lower offset, you are also widening the effective track of the car, which will improve handling?

Yeah I would say so. I believe lowering the offset by enough mm will widen the track without using spacers, and if the cars set-up properly, you could improve the handling as a result. I've heard of a lot of performance versions of standard cars like Civics etc. having their track widths widened and the height lowered a touch, from the factory, to improve handling characteristics.

The FN2 has a widened track IIRC over the standard shopping trolleys. IIRC the Mugen FN2 is widened further still - I'm not sure whether that's through the GP wheels though or the actual track.

This is very much appreciated guys :smt023 I'm a total beginner with wheels :oops:

So going by what you are saying, these R*ta's in 16" should do the trick? Or is that cutting it fine? Also, any suggestions (within reason/modest budget:lol:) of what you think might suit the car well aesthetically are welcome :) I'm quite conservative about wheels so maybe there's some wee gems out there that I am unaware of :D

They are wider than OEM, I'm sure that has some effect on distance from the hub, but I'm far too tired to work it out. :lol: :oops:

Sun, you really are the man to come to when it comes to rims and offsets. What i have picked up from you has been a great wealth of knowledge about stuff i had no clue before, cheers man, Darren ;)

Sickly what's the offset on the Circuit 10's.

Darren - you're too kind man, no need dude. Serious., no big deal.

The offset is the difference/distance between the centre line of the wheel and the mounting face. If, for example, the mounting face is closer to the outside of the rim (spoke side) they are on the plus (+) side of the centre line.The offset is determined by how many mm plus/mius the hub-mounting face is from the centre line - if that makes sense?

Low offset wheels have their mounting face closer to the inside of the wheel, high offset wheels are the opposite with their mounting face toward the outer half of the wheel (closer to the spoke side).

That's all dude. It does take a while getting used to the maths though. Lol.

That said, if you need a hand give us a shout :) I'd be happy to try and help out.

Sun, the offset on the Circuit 10's is ET45 which I gather would possibly be cutting it quite fine. The Grids are ET40

Check out their EBAY shop too mate, you can get some real genuine bargains on there ;)

Back