• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

So whats wrong

My ATR has developed a problem!!

Below 5.5k rpm i can accelerate hard and she accelerates as normal however after 5.5k rpm the car is hesitating, like a kangaroo action she'll start to accelerate then slow then accelerate again. No problems below 5.5k though.

Valve clearances are a few k overdue and ive convinced myself i can hear a "new noise" coming from the nearside of the engine bay ie cambelt side. Belt+ tensioners changed 40k ago.

Tried resetting the ECU but that hasnt done anything. Infact ive just realised the hesitation has only started since filling up with 95RON (i had no choice) but this could be coincidence. Im pretty much empty now so ill brim with Tesco 99RON tomorrow and see how she goes.... but if it isnt dodgy fuel what else could it be? Oil level is fine and i cleaned the EGR plate/valve 3 months ago too.

Cheers

!!**UPDATE, CAR IS NOW FIXED**!! as detailed on page 4. If you cba to read this whole thread boohoo (theres some quite useful info in it imo). Valve clearances done and now shes flying again! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
have you checked oil level? 5.5k is vtec change point i think and low oil can cause vtec to not engage properly i believe.:-k

If oil is low it won't build up enough pressure and VTEC won't engage. However, I think you'd really notice this!

If your ATR is a pre-facelift they really don't like 95 ron, could be causing early detonation and losing power.

The belt noise is normally pretty evident, generally when the tensioners need changing you hear a noise which sounds a bit like a diesel engine.

If the valve clearance need adjusting the generally the engine will sound tappety, but they can sound a bit like that anyway.

When were you spark plugs last changed? Could it be distributor cap or rotor arm?

when i let my atr run low on oil the vtec would not kick in so i dont think it will be that

when did you last change the fuel filter i ask this because when i got my fuel lines replaced and new filter fitted i noticed a difference in acceleration

If oil is low it won't build up enough pressure and VTEC won't engage. However, I think you'd really notice this!

If your ATR is a pre-facelift they really don't like 95 ron, could be causing early detonation and losing power.

The belt noise is normally pretty evident, generally when the tensioners need changing you hear a noise which sounds a bit like a diesel engine.

If the valve clearance need adjusting the generally the engine will sound tappety, but they can sound a bit like that anyway.

When were you spark plugs last changed? Could it be distributor cap or rotor arm?

Actually u might be onto something here. When i first got the ATR i ran it on 95RON until i found Tesco 99RON, mine is a pre and it never had these symptoms before on 95RON. Spark plugs were changed about 25k ago iirc. The rotor arm i replaced about 8months ago ... i didnt replace the dizzy cap though, i had bought one of the transparent ones but the original screws didnt seem to fit so didnt fit the new dizzy cap .... i do remember losing one of the mounting screws though!! Maybe some moisture had gotten in, but surely this would cause problems throughout the rev range not just in the VTEC zone.

Ill take a closer look at dizzy cap tomorrow

Last edited by a moderator:
when i let my atr run low on oil the vtec would not kick in so i dont think it will be that

when did you last change the fuel filter i ask this because when i got my fuel lines replaced and new filter fitted i noticed a difference in acceleration

Im not sure, like i says its due its 82k service which is when the fuel filter is due replacement aswell as valve clearances being set.

Bad batch of fuel
Valve clearances
VTEC solenoid filter blocked
PCV valve

mine was doing the same thing, so i cleaned the vtec solenoid and the egr valve and its no running better than ever

Ah yes, the VTEC solenoid. Also had to clean this one mine and it made a big difference to VTEC performance. Could be worth a look.

Just had a look at the service manual and it looks simple to remove. Ill remove it tomorrow on my break at work and drown in carb cleaner or something :D

Quick update, didnt get round to removing the VTEC solenoid. I did however replace the dizzy cap and rotary thingy. Made no difference but my how cool do those transparent dizzy caps look in the dark :p

I brimmed my tank full of 99RON today and reset ECU and went for a good thrash, still the same though :(

I was driving back from football and i felt the hesitation ever so slight at about 3.5k rpm, but only once for the whole journey, its generally confined to VTEC. Can someone put my mind at rest, lets say my cambelt had managed to jump 1 tooth ... it would be idling like a dog and generally be undriveable yer?

Im sure i can hear a vibrating/metal on metal noise from nearside of car when i rev and let the revs drop down. But i wouldnt describe it as the dreaded "diesel rattle". Ill try and get a soundclip from inside the car. Ive had my head under bonnet but cant hear the sound when i rev the car due to the engine/induction noise.

Looks like my weekend will be consisting of cleaning the PCV valve, VTEC solenoid, cleaning EGR plate/valve and sorting out valve clearances. Going to be a long weekend!

to clean the vtec solenoid, you need to remove the the 3 nuts 10mm and you also need to move the bracket that holds the leads in place a small star driver will help with that, then clean with a cotton bud until all oil and residue is all gone, replace it and reset ecu and then let the engine warm up and give it some of that vtec roar :smt023

UPDATE

Removed PCV valve and started blowing and sucking it, it seems to be working perfectly and there wasnt any blockages in it. The spring valve moves nice and freely.

Removed the VTEC solenoid asm from the car and checked the metal gause filter, that wasnt clogged either. I didnt remove the actual valve from the top of the asm (held on by another 3 bolts iirc) should i have removed this too?

So ive got EGR plate and EGR valve to do (im doubtful these are the cause, afterall they were only cleaned couple of months ago). So im suspecting my valve clearances are out, they are due to be done afterall.

Yer and as Rich says, i live 10mins down road from him in the glorious village of Rainworth!

does it sound/feel like misfire when the engine is under load? could be a spark plug/lead breaking down when load on engine gets high.
i know it doesnt sound nice, but does vtec engage/run ok when engine revved with no load on it?
if you want a hand or in the grantham area anytime let me know mate.

TBH snowy i dont know what a misfire feels like so im not sure if its that. Ill try reving it whilst stationary and see what happens.

Back