• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Soaking wet CAI

I have an AEM CAI fitted and drove home from work last night in torrential rain, carefully avoiding puddles etc. but on the drive to work this morn i was accelerating, the vtec cut in normally at 6K then at 7K i nearly headbutted the steering wheel. It was like slamming the brakes on - I quickly pushed the clutch in and drove the rest of the way slowly.

When i stopped i peeled back the arch liner and the filter was soaking wet. Also there was a puddle of muddy water and dirt in the bottom of the black plastic undertray.

The rain was bad yesterday but im not sure whether to swap back to the standard airbox just for the winter. It a ballache swapping them over though. OR do I just stick the filter on the radiator tonight and carry on as i am?

Will the water on the filter restricting the airflow damage the engine in any way? Has anyone else had a smililar experience?

CTR_Paul said:
These threads are becoming pretty common!

AEM owners take care in wet conditions.

Don't remember this amount of issues in previous winters, something to do with the new dry flow filters becoming saturated more easily?

something to do with the new dry flow filters becoming saturated more easily?

Yeah id agree with that. My friend has had the old type fitted for a while for ages without any issues. I bought one from his recommendation.

I remember seeing some sort of bag that you put over the filter somewhere too?

Sounds daft, but maybe going back to a stock box for winter might be the answer?

Better to be safe than sorry :wink:

Its the new filter that AEM supply that is causing the issues boys. The dry flow filter will not VTEC when its wet.

The filters have always got wet, even the old style oiled one however the oiled one didn't have these problems.

You can get a Oiled K&N one which will sort all the problems, or do what I did and get a injen hydroshield. Stops the filter from becoming too wet. You can get them on Funkystyling

http://www.funkystyling.co.uk/item_detail.php?prodID=449002210

Hotshot said:
hyrodshields still ok for breathability (is that even a word) ?

Its fine mate, i'd recommend it 8)

Black R said:
nip into halfords and get some air filter oil, K&N or Pipercross and spray filter

That fooks up he dry flow filters apparently.

just bought a brand new AEM v1, Hydroshield is a definite purchase methinks, dont fancy an £8000 useless lump in my engine bay

CTR said:
I'd never buy one

An AEM or a Hydroshield?

I think I'm gonna shell out on one, cos I'm sick of the car developing a misfire in heavy rain with running water on the roads. It's never going to manage to hydrolock. I think that there's just too much spray coming from the open arch onto the V2, which is cooling my spark too much.

Harvey - Which Hydroshield is it on the website, there's 3 :?

thejudderman said:
CTR said:
I'd never buy one

An AEM or a Hydroshield?

I think I'm gonna shell out on one, cos I'm sick of the car developing a misfire in heavy rain with running water on the roads. It's never going to manage to hydrolock. I think that there's just too much spray coming from the open arch onto the V2, which is cooling my spark too much.

Harvey - Which Hydroshield is it on the website, there's 3 :?

X-1033 I think

It says that one fits all AEM filters

thejudderman said:
CTR said:
I'd never buy one

An AEM or a Hydroshield?

An AEM mate. I really don't like the idea of having an exposed cone filter mounted way down towards the wheel arch.

Gruppe M is the way forward I'm afriad. It's costly but you get what you pay for in this life :wink:

Surely the Gruppe M will suck in just as much air seeing as it has an air scoop at the bottom of the front windscreen where all the water will have run down? :lol:

Rcb said:
Surely the Gruppe M will suck in just as much air seeing as it has an air scoop at the bottom of the front windscreen where all the water will have run down? :lol:

I've had a Gruppe M on the CTR for a German winter and now I have one on my Teg and I've never had one single problem with either. There is a drainage hole at the bottom to allow excess water out. I've never once seen a thread on here nor any other forum that suggests the Gruppe M has problems with rain.

Fair enough. ANd yea I've never seen a Gruppe M rain problem compared to the amount of CAI probs 8)

After I encountered the same problem with my AEM CAI - I switched to the OE airbox modified the Hondata way, with an ITG drop in filter.

The good old butt dyno showed no difference in performance - Only downside was the loss of the rampant chainsaw noise at VTEC engagement.

Back