• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Someone scratched my new car!

I’ve not even had my Type-R two months yet and someone has already scratched it! :mad: :mad: :mad: :(

I noticed it yesterday when I went to clean it and as you can imagine I wasn’t best pleased.

So the reason why I’m posting in the Car Care section is to see if I can get it out without using SMART repair or a body shop?

I started yesterday by giving it a good clean and polishing with some Autoglym Super Resin. It looks much better but still not how I want it.

What should be my next step? I was thinking maybe silver T-Cut/Turtlewax Colour Magic or more Autoglym but with an orbital polisher?

What do you guys think?

Can you catch your nail in it? If you can its too deep for a machine polisher and will need to be repainted.

Dont bother with T-cut it does more damage than it repairs.

Well I took some photos any way, if you need better I can try tomorrow.

Yes I can catch my nail in some of the scratches.

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

They don't look too deep. Maybe a couple of passes with a dual action could reduce them drastically.
Second shot would be a light wet sanding and then D/A.
Last shot would be a smart repair. I think I'd rather still see a bit of the scratch than a mis match in colour over your panel.

I went round to the local body shop at lunch to see what they had to say.

I asked how much to respray the panels, front and passenger skirt (as they already had scuffs, not done by me) and it was £480.

After I almost fell over we had a bit of a chat (nice guy) and we came up with a plan.

They would spray the front , passenger skirt and buff out the scratches in the photo. He said he couldn't guarantee to get the scratches out but it would look better. That was £150 which I thought sounded pretty reasonable.

What do you guys think?

I can have a go at the scratches for you, for say, £20. It'll need washing, claying and then light light machining, working my way up.

DE12 is my postcode if you're interested.

if your going to spay the front you may as well save the extra cash and get the scratches done as well

Can you catch your nail in it? If you can its too deep for a machine polisher and will need to be repainted.

Not true Charlotte ;)
Alot of them can be filled with touch up paint, then wet sanded flat & then polish the sanding marks out.
I've seen a friend do it :cool:

I'm pretty sure that will polish out without anything too aggressive polish with a rotary or PC.

Not true Charlotte ;)
Alot of them can be filled with touch up paint, then wet sanded flat & then polish the sanding marks out.
I've seen a friend do it :cool:

I'm pretty sure that will polish out without anything too aggressive polish with a rotary or PC.

I didnt mention anything about filling just that you wouldnt be able to polish it out, I know that can be done with touch up pen as ive done it on about a billion stone chips on mine but I wouldnt want to try it on that much damage.

I didnt mention anything about filling just that you wouldnt be able to polish it out, I know that can be done with touch up pen as ive done it on about a billion stone chips on mine but I wouldnt want to try it on that much damage.

Fair point ;)
It's not like it's one isolated scratch is it.

I wonder what's caused that, doesn't look like a car impact as there's no denting. It's like something has brushed past it, I've seen footballs make that kind of marking before but not down the length of two panels.

Either way, hope you get it sorted with the minimum of expense.

if the scratches are light in the lacquer and not down to the paint then i would try t cut. it can damage if you use it all the time or have a mad sesion on one spot.
more erosive that polishing compound but your using your hands and not a machine.

you haven't borrowed your car to the Doris have you, familiar scrape marks to when my lady friend borrowed mine out.:evil:

I can have a go at the scratches for you, for say, £20. It'll need washing, claying and then light light machining, working my way up.

DE12 is my postcode if you're interested.

Thanks for the very kind offer.

I'll let you know if I decide not to get it done by the body shop.

if your going to spay the front you may as well save the extra cash and get the scratches done as well

It's not so much the saving but I don't really want to spend the best part of £500 on non essential car maintenance.

The car isn't in A1 condition being 8 years old so I don't want to chuck loads of money at it.

I wonder what's caused that, doesn't look like a car impact as there's no denting. It's like something has brushed past it, I've seen footballs make that kind of marking before but not down the length of two panels.

Either way, hope you get it sorted with the minimum of expense.

I have no idea, It's been puzzling me.

I can't pin point exactly when it happened either. I'm thinking some time on Sunday but I can't be sure.

It's a strange one as it goes from just below the door handle to almost behind the headlight, on the way it catches the side skirt under the wing mirror and the wheel.

My first thought was a push bike or a pram but who knows?

Cheers mate.

if the scratches are light in the lacquer and not down to the paint then i would try t cut. it can damage if you use it all the time or have a mad sesion on one spot.
more erosive that polishing compound but your using your hands and not a machine.

you haven't borrowed your car to the Doris have you, familiar scrape marks to when my lady friend borrowed mine out.:evil:

I think this one was done when no one was in the car.

It looks like the sort of damage you might get by rubbing some bushes on the side of the road.

Back