• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sound deadening

Ok folks, ICE is my next mod, looking at sound deadening at the choice is huge!!!

Dynamat, Brown Bread, Fat Mat, RBLOX the list goes on.

Who uses what? Or is Dynamat the real daddy?

Cheers
AC 8)

Black R said:
Ive used Brown Bread and dynamat, to be honest i found no difference in the two.

Only the price i guess then,

Brown Bread £12.99 100cm x 60 cm
Dynanat £15.00 4 sq ft

AC :?

I used Dynamat extreme, no idea about the other makes you mentioned but there is a definate difference before and after sound deadening. I'll be putting up a short video to demonstrate soon.

Funky said:
I used Dynamat extreme, no idea about the other makes you mentioned but there is a definate difference before and after sound deadening. I'll be putting up a short video to demonstrate soon.

Cheers mate, found a deal on 2 Dynamat extreme speaker kits so may plump for them as a starter.
AC 8)

Its all pretty much the same stuff. Just differences in pricing.

Are you gonna use it to stop rattling or to actually sound proof the car?

saboteur said:
Its all pretty much the same stuff. Just differences in pricing.

Are you gonna use it to stop rattling or to actually sound proof the car?

A bit of both i hope mate, gonna change the speakers for one and maybe stop the odd rattle in the process.
AC 8)

LOL @ that pretty pointless video..

You only really need sound-proofing if your sound system is gonna include a sub and your whole setup has an output of 800w RMS or more.

My setup to illustrate has about 700w RMS with a sub unit. I've put some sound-proofing in the boot as it rattles in the car and is very annoying when you're listening to music with bass (Civic 1.4i). My brother has probably 500w RMS in his supra TT but there is no rattles whatsoever. The only rattle you can hear is from the outside but that doesn't really matter....

So it's upto you... but one thing I would say is that unless you're planning to do the sound-proofing yourself, it can be very expensive.

Caraudiosecurity do cheap rolls if you're on a budget.

saboteur said:
You only really need sound-proofing if your sound system is gonna include a sub and your whole setup has an output of 800w RMS or more.

No, just no :roll:

Sound deadening helps to improve midbass, its got nothing to do with sound proofing which is something totally different!

Funky said:
saboteur said:

Sound deadening helps to improve midbass, its got nothing to do with sound proofing which is something totally different!

Indeed. The vibrations from the speakers are lost throughout the body of the car if it does not have proofing.

I use Fat Mat. Works pretty well. was the cheapest of all with the best review. Dynamat was just 4 times more expensive, with no actual proven gain over the FatMat.

type_r_lover said:
I use Fat Mat. Works pretty well. was the cheapest of all with the best review. Dynamat was just 4 times more expensive, with no actual proven gain over the FatMat.

Cheers mate, thats the ticket!!
AC

Funky said:
saboteur said:

Spot on.

My doors vibrate noticeably with just a set of components running off an aftermarket headunit (i.e. no proper amp at all). Plus there must be loads of the sound just being lost through the door.

Sound deadening works for even the most basic setups.

What I meant to say was sound-deadening not proofing! :oops:

Funky said:
saboteur said:

Back