• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spark plugs - To grease or not to grease?

Will it do any harm to apply some copper grease/slip onto the threads of the spark plugs of an EP3?
I am thinking not but not 100% sure if it will do any harm.

The last ones I done were a bit tight getting them off and I will be replacing them very soon.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Would you apply grease to something that requires friction to stay in place?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you apply grease to something that requires friction to stay in place?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough.

It's just that i have seen people using it before but wasn't sure. It seems after a bit more looking that NGK advise not to use it as it can lead to over tightening of the plugs leading them to break in some cases so i will not bother.

Fair enough.

It's just that i have seen people using it before but wasn't sure. It seems after a bit more looking that NGK advise not to use it as it can lead to over tightening of the plugs leading them to break in some cases so i will not bother.

You’re spot on there. Unless it’s stated to apply grease or oil to the threads (sometimes required on head bolts/studs) then always keep the threads dry and more importantly clean.

NGK advise not to use it as it can lead to over tightening of the plugs leading them to break in some cases so i will not bother.

This. Greasing a thread that should be torqued dry means a false torque reading, you're actually tightening it more than the tool indicates. Dry unless stated by the manufacturer.

If concerned about moisture entering the plug tunnel grease the coil boot with some dielectric grease.

Here in Australia re-Holden Commodore engines (V6) I witnessed a Mechanic of long standing grease his Threads (his own car). Why I asked? He said 'Alloys a bit soft on these heads'. I've been racing (not Holdens) and never done it or had to do it in 40+ years.

Plug go through multiple heat cycles, they should never seize up in the block. If they do, they've been in there far too long.

Correct. If they seize they were done up too tight. Otherwise there is no reason for them to seize

Back