• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Speed Camera Locators...Any Advice?

Been looking to purchase a speed camera/black spot locator but there so

many out there not too sure which ones are most effective?

Any advice or recomendations would be appreciated

:rolleyes:

i get mail from that site all the time with tips on how to dodge tickets and updates on new cameras coming out and how to avoid them.

In all honesty, most of the gps based systems are pretty good. The most important thing is keeping them up-to-date. The Talex systems are pretty robust and reliable so you should be pleased with your new purchase

I looked into these systems quite a bit last year. For me, I decided that the best system was a detector as opposed to a GPS device. Reason being is that I've been caught twice and every time was by mobile laser gun.

If you normally keep your eyes peeled on the road then you will usually see Gatsos and Truvelos etc. However it is a different story trying to spot a policeman in the distance, usually hiding behind something and pointing a laser gun up the road.

Therefore, I went for a laser and radar detector instead. The downside is that it gives false alarms but it is the tone for "laser" that I listen our for as radar signals are all over the place.

I bought one from these guys:

http://www.microfuzion.co.uk/default.asp?PARTNER=GOOGLE&gclid=CKeLqduWkp4CFZoU4wodQ0Zupg

My one is the Microfuzion Voice Radar Detector near the bottom. Thought I'd go for the cheap one to test it. Not driving past a laser gun as yet so can't tell you if it works or not but I did a lot of reading around and they sounded promising. However, you could go all our and get their Total version and add detector to it. That you you get a GPS system, laser detector and 0-60 timer!!!

Hope that helps others if they haven't got one.

I dont think you will ever get round a laser, unless you pick up a signal when the laser is targetted at the car in front for example. The speed of light is certainly quicker than my reaction times!

You're both right, but as it can give you a warning if the car in front is zapped then that at least gives me a "chance". I also heard that they have to take an average of a couple of seconds (not sure on the reliability of this statement) but if that is true then it gives you enough time to jam on the anchors.

Therefore, if it does give me a "chance" then it's better than another 3 points and £60.00 and for a device that is only £55 I didn't have much to lose.

Rear parking sensor installed in the front for lasers. The proximity sensor bounces back the proximity sensor from the coppers.

Downside is that they may well stop you to find out why their gun isn't working, then you need to blag them about having a small garage or something, hence the necessity for a parking sensor in the front.

All else fails, give the points to the missus :p

Rear parking sensor installed in the front for lasers. The proximity sensor bounces back the proximity sensor from the coppers.

Downside is that they may well stop you to find out why their gun isn't working, then you need to blag them about having a small garage or something, hence the necessity for a parking sensor in the front.

All else fails, give the points to the missus :p

Lol, or you could get laser jammer which are sold as "garage door openers" whereby the garage opens when you drive up to it. Therefore the signal (jammer) is constantly being sent out.

Like you said though, they might stop you to check your car out so you better have an electric garage, or even a garage full stop for that matter.

Captain Redbeard, you're right it doesn't do mobile speed traps so if you've got a sat nav then you don't need one of these.

I use a road angel Navigator 6000. It is a bit out of date now and the Sat Nav element of it is useless, but the GPS camera location has always been good. It does blackspots as well as locations where mobile camera vans are known to sit although most of the time the alarm will go off and no van is present. I think there is an update fee of £3 per month and when I got mine the first 6 months was free.

It has definitely saved me a number of points although yesterday I think I got zapped out of the back door of a van doing a local journey without the detector turned on. Only yesterday morning I got my licence back having had my only other incident removed after 4 years :evil:

It has definitely saved me a number of points although yesterday I think I got zapped out of the back door of a van doing a local journey without the detector turned on. Only yesterday morning I got my licence back having had my only other incident removed after 4 years :evil:

Ouch....unlucky mate. They're the definitive definition of "traps" aren't they?

Ouch....unlucky mate. They're the definitive definition of "traps" aren't they?

Absolute b*stards! I was in a 40 with roughly 45 on the clock going down a hill when I spotted the van and got the speed off, but I suspect they are positioned so that by the time you see it they have already zapped you.

I don't mind too much seen as we live in a society with no serious crime, rapes or murders going on because the police have already locked up all the real criminals.

Does that do mobile cameras? The advert's really ambiguous. :confused:

First it says this:

What are fixed mobile speed traps?

Then it says this:

And then this:

Sounds like it just does fixed cameras which most sat nav units will tell you about won't they?

Think it means fixed locations where Police use their mobile traps. Updatable meaning you can attach it to your computer 24 hours a day to receive the latest updates. And available to add your own known points where you feel there may be a trap lying in the midst :evil:

I've had a few over the years and I have gone back to my old Origin B2 Solo. It has the most accurate data base.

I'll get a pic of it tomorow.

aleung2...

When I was looking at laser/radar detectors the consensus seemed to be that by the time your device warned you you'd already have been zapped, making them a bit useless. Has the technology changed/progressed such that this is no longer the case?

You 'may' get the laser splatter off the car in front but mine has never gone off.

Radar dectectors can tell you if GATSO's are live or not but can be set off in city centres by other radio traffic.

Back