• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Speedo irregularities

Hi all.

First real post so here goes. This is the second new style Civic I've owned, FN2 now and prior to that 1.8 SE.

Has anyone else noticed that when using a sat nav, not factory fitted but e.g. Tom Tom, that the speed on the speedo on the Civic doesn't match with that on the sat nav. It is generally higher than that on the sat nav and sometimes 5/7+ MPH out.

When I go through local speed signs that display your speed this always matches the sat nav and not the Civic speedo.

So I guess my real question is... Is the speedometer on the Civic inherently inaccurate?

Tommy.

When i had my friends tom tom in my EP3 it was about 5mph higher on the tom tom

I think all speedos in cars are a little over the actual speed you are travelling by around 4mph I think? Not sure why this is?! I'm sure someone will let you know for definite shortly though :)

Scott

in Australia new cars are sold with a 10% error adjustment (i guess you would call it) to ensure you dont speed normally...

I have found regardless of the speed (in km) I am doing its generally 10-11% out, so natually I adjust for it now :p

Both my FN2 and my wife's FK2 (1.8 EX) show as doing 30mph on the dash but 27mph on a local roadside speed sign.

I've recently done GPS speed tests on the motorway and at 70mph on the dash I was doing 66mph on the GPS, so it's not a straight 10%.

My gf's TomTom said 67mph when I was bang on 70mph in my EP3. It's meant to be even more inaccurate after 100mph.

THis is generally where the phrase "you're allowed 10% over the speed limit before you get caught!" comes from. Mine is 10% but have slightly different tyres to standard.

speedos are just a rough guide not a true reading lots of things can influence it. having bigger wheels for instance

Back