• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spigot Rings - Are they important?

TypeGRRR

Administrator
Administrator
I searched this before when I bought my TE37's as they have an oversized bore. I was told no, and that they just aid to centre the wheel when you're putting it on. Obviously with tapered seats/bolts I just assumed that this would pull the wheels square on the hubs. I've never had any problems with excess wobble or anything like that.

However, I've read on another forum that it can be highly dangerous to run wheels without using spigot rings. Is there any truth in that?

I've had the car down at TGM several times with the wheels off, and Tom's never mentioned it to me, which I would expect he would, if it was 'dangerous'. :confused:

I would say it is not ideal missing the rings, they would take the impact of bumps etc whilst the bolts can bend and put the wheel off centre. after a while of driving with the bolts bending back and forth they can become work or stress hardened, then brittle, then snap, in theory.

They are important, I remember when a garage forgot to refit my spigot ring on my team dynamics and the wheel was all over the place.

Given that half the spigot rings on the market are plastic, they're not going to do much for bump absorption. Also, there's far more strength in the wheel bolts than in the comparatively small area of contact between wheel and hub.

Provided you can make sure the wheel is on right it's not a problem. But it's easy to get wrong without them, and dotty's post outlines the results.

If your wheels don't vibrate/cause the car to snake at high speed I think you're pretty much fine without them.

i'd run with them if you have an overized bore. as stated elsewhere they're a tenner and you have nothing to lose.

The wheel can be supported and run smoothly without them but at higher speeds the difference would be noticed

I ran them on my DC5 and it sorted some vibration out coming through the wheel.

it is vital to fit wheels with oversize hub holes using spigot rings. Their function is to accurately centre the wheel on the hub. The wheels will not centre correctly on the hubs without them. I would recommend you fit these ASAP!

as i have previously worked as a wheel fitter at an after market parts shop i can tell you spiggot rings are a MUST.

i take it by you saying you dont notice the differance that you must either not drive quick at all.....

basically if you havent got spiggot rings fitted in aftermarket wheels, at 70MPH (on motorways) as most cases are you will start to feel a vibration through the steering wheel. as the speed increases the vibration will get worse, this is because as it was correctly said earlier that the wheels without spiggot rings may seem like they are on correctly but they will be sitting off centre and therefore you may aswell be driving on egg shaped tyres.

this is dangerous becuse it can cause the car to react differently at higher speeds and will be very uncomfortable (i know as i have had it myself)

you are correct that they do help centre the wheel on the hub but they do serve a greater purpose. the technician at the garage may not of told you about it as they are quite often overlooked as they are not a standard part

P34NUT's recomendation of the day..... go out and get yourself a set. they are cheap as chips. make sure they are exactly the correct size as they do come in decimals of a MM

the outter size is usually 73.1 and the inner bore where it fits on the hub will be 64.1

i hope this helps mate

How do you know if the alloys you're buying have an oversized bore?

because there isnt an after market wheel i know of that is made to fit each car and would cost companies loads to stock wheels like that

wheels are mainly produced with a bore size 73.1 and cars are all different not all honda's have a centre bore of 64.1
for example a civic type r and a toyota mr2 both have a PCD (stud dia) of 5x114.3 so by a company selling wheels they can sell one set from stock to 2 different customers by supplying the honda customer with a plastic ring with a 64.1 size hole in it or the toyota customer by supplying them with a plastic ring with the size of 60.1

it all sounds confusing but its easy when you get your head round it and it all comes down to companys thinking smart and making sure the make money in the easiest way

Thanks for that. I'm not sure many would describe me as a slow driver. I've traveled considerable faster than said speed and nothing has felt out of the ordinary.

I'm not experiencing any of the side effects, but considering the fact they are so cheap, I will get some for peace of mind.

It can also be that your wheel has coincidentaly lined up central enough when being bolted on for you not to feel the vibrations. Its probably not worth chancing it at £10 a pop for some spigots.

Is 73.1 outer and 64.1 inner the correct spigot ring size for Rays wheels, EP3 fitment?

Also will any type of plastic spigot rings fit the wheels

yes the inner bore is 64.1 and any spiggot ring is fine metal or plastic (i prefer plastic if im honest)

i have had a look around for you to find out the info regarding the rays wheels bore size and there doesnt seem to be a definate answer on that one 99.9% of after market wheel that are "not" an oem replica will have a standard bore size of 73.1 but i have seen that there is info talking about 74 and 75?

you have a couple of options from here................

go into a wheel shop and try a few inside to test the wheels bore size

have a look through a few threads on google stating "rays wheels bore size"

contact a rays wheel supplier, get the info and the rings from them so you can return if incorrect a couple of suppliers i know are funkypower and vividracing

remeber that whe a spiggot ring fits into the back of the wheel it should fit snug and flush, often requires a few taps

i hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Back