• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spoon LSD

CTR

Ain't nothin' but a peanut
Definately investing in one somtime in the near future but im obviously looking to find one for cheapest possible price. i found a site (www.vtecperformance.co.uk) which was selling them for £523.86 inc VAT (states on front page that all product prices include VAT and del.). Tried contacting via e-mail and telephone to no avail. Dunno whether the site has gone bust, but at that price im eager to buy one. Does anybody know for somewhere where they're going close to this price? They work out at £500 on takakaira but dunno how much shipping would be on an item like that. I know i paid something stupid on shipping for my mugen grille from there.

Spoon diff is noisy mate, it's a race diff at the end of the day.

Better off going for a quaife, no maintenance required like the spoon would have :D

Howabout getting the JDM LSD? must be some about out of stripped race cars? probably quite cheap too as it's just junk to the race teams.

hovblackctr said:
Spoon diff is noisy mate, it's a race diff at the end of the day.

Better off going for a quaife, no maintenance required like the spoon would have :D

I agree with Julian, quaife for road use would be the way ahead.

Spoon diff is very noisy, contact Tom at TGM Sport as i beleive he will have a JDM DC5 diff from a brand new gearbox very soon for sale. Tell him Simon sent you. :wink:

Quaife or JDM all the way. :wink: Dont touch the Spoon one unless your happy with the yearly bill of stripping your gearbox down to check and set your diff. the JDM and Quaife are fit and forget. The spoon isnt. :wink:

tp said:
Quaife or JDM all the way. :wink: Dont touch the Spoon one unless your happy with the yearly bill of stripping your gearbox down to check and set your diff. the JDM and Quaife are fit and forget. The spoon isnt. :wink:

Yearly bill, The diff will last a good 3 years before a rebuild unless you are excessivly bullying it!!!

Another point is that plate type diffs are the only type that do not allow the wheels to spin in the event of one of the driven wheels lifing off the floor

Going back to JDM Diffs - I did have a groupe buy for these - re open shortly

Anthony

SSEL said:
tp said:

Yearly bill, The diff will last a good 3 years before a rebuild unless you are excessivly bullying it!!!

Another point is that plate type diffs are the only type that do not allow the wheels to spin in the event of one of the driven wheels lifing off the floor

Going back to JDM Diffs - I did have a groupe buy for these - re open shortly

Anthony

You've settled it for me ant and you should know, I guess you'll be hearing from me soon after xmas.

You've settled it for me ant and you should know, I guess you'll be hearing from me soon after xmas.

JDM diffs are only rated to lowish BHP aint they, and seriously DO NOT GET the SPOON diff its each to there own and all that but I know at least 2 people that have fitted one and its been off within about 50 miles.

Its very very noisy and also DOES have to be serviced, dependant on usage of course

I would personally get a ATB QUAIFE diff these are fit and forget and one of the best diffs on the market at the moment.

One of the best mods I ever did to my car was fit a Quaife diff have fun

Tarticus said:

JDM diffs are only rated to lowish BHP aint they, and seriously DO NOT GET the SPOON diff its each to there own and all that but I know at least 2 people that have fitted one and its been off within about 50 miles.

Its very very noisy and also DOES have to be serviced, dependant on usage of course

I would personally get a ATB QUAIFE diff these are fit and forget and one of the best diffs on the market at the moment.

Spoon is adjustable isnt it?

So whats to say you make the car undrivable on normal bumpy roads so need it adjusting? You got another £300 labour bill to try and reset it.

Listen to the majority of actual punters who have them fitted as opposed to a supplier selling his own products. :wink:

The Spoon is a good product...but for track IMO.

There was a couple for sale recently on the civic forum. Couple of people fitted them then immediately had them removed and changed for Quaife. What does that tell you?

If you really want one find the ones for sale and save yourself some money as well....But I recon you will regret it.

I contacted Mike Blair at ADR Motorsport regarding this issue, and he said to me that if I was to ask anyone in motorsport about Quaife products I would get the same answer-they are not very good.I trust Mike's opinion implicitly he knows whats he's talking about when it comes to stuff like this, they run the GpN Mitsubishi program at ADR after all. He said to me that the Spoon diff would require re-setting around every 8000 miles. The way I look at is if you want performance, you gotta be prepared to pay fot it, but as it's been stated its each to their own (after all it would be boring if we all liked and had the same things). The Spoon diff, along with the Kaaz one, are the only one's that are 1.5way items as well, which is obviously a benefit when under heavy deceleration. Anyway, I don't wanna knock anybody's choice so I'm just stating my own opinion here. I'm gonna go for the Spoon item, the noise won't bother me.

CTR said:
I contacted Mike Blair at ADR Motorsport regarding this issue, and he said to me that if I was to ask anyone in motorsport about Quaife products I would get the same answer-they are not very good.

Ok...but controversial.

So would anyone like to compile a list of all the race teams that run Quaife products now? :wink:

I will start it shall I?

Ralliart Europe an option for the Evo 8. :wink:

I contacted Mike Blair at ADR Motorsport regarding this issue, and he said to me that if I was to ask anyone in motorsport about Quaife products I would get the same answer-they are not very good.I trust Mike's opinion implicitly he knows whats he's talking about when it comes to stuff like this, they run the GpN Mitsubishi program at ADR after all. He said to me that the Spoon diff would require re-setting around every 8000 miles. The way I look at is if you want performance, you gotta be prepared to pay fot it, but as it's been stated its each to their own (after all it would be boring if we all liked and had the same things). The Spoon diff, along with the Kaaz one, are the only one's that are 1.5way items as well, which is obviously a benefit when under heavy deceleration. Anyway, I don't wanna knock anybody's choice so I'm just stating my own opinion here. I'm gonna go for the Spoon item, the noise won't bother me.

Hummmmm contraversial, to say the least, obviously you dont realise how many race teams actually use Quaife diffs, but like I have said the Spoon diff was designed for RACE use not street use.

Its up to you if you take advice from people who have actually had them fitted, and had them removed after less than 50 miles, (the spoon diff that is)

I would love for you to keep us informed how you get on with the Spoon diff when you have it fitted and best of luck with it, but please take others advice DONT GET ONE, im only stating advice that I known and have learnt and the SPOON diff is not a diff to use on the streets, im only trying to save your cash and time m8 at the end of the day, and if you stuck on the spoon on then go for it, but dont say we didnt warn you.

Bazzer said:
Tarticus said:

Pete, how much did this cost you including fitting?

Hard to say really as I had a Helix Group N Racing Clutch fitted and ES motor mounts etc etc fitted at same time, and other small bits and bobs :p

Deffinately a worthwile investment though

Tarticus said:

Hummmmm contraversial, to say the least, obviously you dont realise how many race teams actually use Quaife diffs, but like I have said the Spoon diff was designed for RACE use not street use.

Its up to you if you take advice from people who have actually had them fitted, and had them removed after less than 50 miles, (the spoon diff that is)

I would love for you to keep us informed how you get on with the Spoon diff when you have it fitted and best of luck with it, but please take others advice DONT GET ONE, im only stating advice that I known and have learnt and the SPOON diff is not a diff to use on the streets, im only trying to save your cash and time m8 at the end of the day, and if you stuck on the spoon on then go for it, but dont say we didnt warn you.

Will definately keep you informed mate. I know what you mean about my statement being a bit controbersial, I always thought Quaife products were OK and was surprised when Mike told me that. Anyway, I'm stuck on having the Spoon item, even if I don't get on with it I won't be taking it off. Practically living in work to pay for it so I'm gonna be sticking with it regardless. I'm only 23, earning good money with no missus to sponge off me and no other outgoing bills unlike many people on here who are married etc. so the money side of things (overhauling the diff) doens't really bother me. Its the performance I'm after at the end of the day and as a general rule it usually costs more in the long run. Anyway as soon its fitted I'll place a thread.

Respect your choice, most of the mods I have done on my car have been for performance regarless. Fitted the quaiffe diff,as found the spoon one very hard to drive on the road.

Friendy said:
Respect your choice, most of the mods I have done on my car have been for performance regarless. Fitted the quaiffe diff,as found the spoon one very hard to drive on the road.

Cheers mate. In what way was it hard to drive? I know it can be adjusted for different pre-load settings.

Back