• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Spoon N1 db?

Just wondering what is the db for a spoon n1 back box for an ep3, would it be more than 99db? Im thinking of getting one but it could be a problem for the car test if it is.

102db, mine my N1 cat-back (3 years old from new) + DC sports header (6 months run in time) , this was static test at brands hatch this year

nice, what increase in bhp could I expect? Would a remapping be necessary or would standard be fine?

nice, what increase in bhp could I expect? Would a remapping be necessary or would standard be fine?

You would maybe get a few bhp but hardly anything I'm afraid. Therefore I don't think a remap would be necessary.

sorry to bring up an old thread... just bought a genuine spoon N1 backbox and wanted to know the db from anyone and everyone... it will be connected to the OEM b-pipe.. i'll be insuring it but i've had word that there is a copper around my area at the moment that will pull you and scrutinise everything so I want to keep one step ahead ;) don't get me wrong I don't "cruise the seafront" but it would be my luck getting stopped on the way back from work/gym, etc...any help would be appreciated :)

If people only just used the search function. Or thought to read the stickies on exhausts! :eek:

'Exhaust guide' thread, page 3... took me less than 30 seconds to find...see below :lol:

All readings were taken at 5500rpm with calibrated meter 45' to exhaust outlet and 0.5meters away.

Manifold, B-pipe, Backbox, level (db)

Std, Std, Std, 93
Std, Std, Spoon, 102
Spoon 421, Spoon, Std 94
Toda, Spoon, Spoon, 106
Std, Spoon, Spoon, 104
Jr , TG, TG, 109
Std, TG, TG-Ti. 96
Std, Cobra us, Cobra, 109
DC, Spoon, Spoon, 108
JR, Eurosport, Eurosport, 105, Spercharger & Cams
Std, Mugen, Mugen, 89
Toda, Toda, Toda, 94

Couple of points from personal experience:
1. Spoon bung doesnt actually work very well. Yes it does reduce level slightly but when you lift off it bangs and pops going even higher than a box without the bung.

2. Its worth carrying your standard backbox with you as even with a full race manifold and Spoon B-Pipe it will still see you under 100db.
icon_cool.gif

If people only just used the search function. Or thought to read the stickies on exhausts! :eek:

'Exhaust guide' thread, page 3... took me less than 30 seconds to find...see below :lol:

All readings were taken at 5500rpm with calibrated meter 45' to exhaust outlet and 0.5meters away.

Manifold, B-pipe, Backbox, level (db)

Std, Std, Std, 93
Std, Std, Spoon, 102
Spoon 421, Spoon, Std 94
Toda, Spoon, Spoon, 106
Std, Spoon, Spoon, 104
Jr , TG, TG, 109
Std, TG, TG-Ti. 96
Std, Cobra us, Cobra, 109
DC, Spoon, Spoon, 108
JR, Eurosport, Eurosport, 105, Spercharger & Cams
Std, Mugen, Mugen, 89
Toda, Toda, Toda, 94

Couple of points from personal experience:
1. Spoon bung doesnt actually work very well. Yes it does reduce level slightly but when you lift off it bangs and pops going even higher than a box without the bung.

2. Its worth carrying your standard backbox with you as even with a full race manifold and Spoon B-Pipe it will still see you under 100db.
icon_cool.gif

cheers :D I didn't actually think to look in the sticky but will do in future besides this is my first forum and I'm still getting to grips ;) 9db difference from standard....I'm pretty good with words so I'm sure worst case scenario I can talk myself out of it :D

Yeah its worth reading all the stickies, build threads etc.
There’s a vast wealth of information across the threads on here.

I had the Spoon N1 on a standard centre section. It's not too bad, liveable with easily, but it makes the best noise when you get up the revs. It's also legal as I got pulled with it and the Policeman said it was okay on the dB meter. ;)

just got it fitted took for-fecking-ever...downside to 9 year old bolts lol found out i didnt get the bung/baffle with it :-( bit gutted but oh well its still genuine..

first impression - deep tone when driving nothing unbearable, took it to 4k rpm...sounds fine..at this point i was wondering whether all the hassle was worth it then i took it down the dual carriageway and floored it...big smiles :-D had my future father in law take it down the road so i could hear it and im 100% satisfied with my purchase, i've wanted a jap sounding car that isnt OTT for a while and now i've got it, just need to find a dam bung :-@

I still miss the sound of the Spoon B-pipe and N1 combo on my old EP3.

First time I booted it after fitting the B-pipe, I just :lol:'d.

Back