• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

spoon or dc

hi there fellow enthusiasts . i no this prob been asked before but could someone tell me which is best system for ep3 type r ? a dc sports cat back or spoon cat back ? which will give best power on standard header ? be changin that later . thanks sorry if been asked allready :twisted:

Honestly it does not matter dude. Weather you go for Spoon, DC Buddy Club or Toda. All are good with good flow rates. There may be 3 or 4 bhp difference between them. but , and this is important. You will NOT notice on the road the difference between the systems. Whatever anyone will tell you.

So go for one according to budget, looks and the sound you like.

Of course having said that, at upper levels of tune, depending on how much power you are getting some may flow slightly better than others. But even then I doubt very much you will notice the difference as long as you have chosen a good system, like the ones mentioned above and that your car is set up well at a reputable tuner.

I met a fellow member the other day who has a Spoon setup. I have a DC Sports system. The cars are identical in every other way except colour.

Whilst the Spoon system retains a secret stelth look with it's smaller diameter exit it sounds a lot louder on full chat than my system. The DC has grown on me. It has changed the character of the car from a polite lone swordsman to one who screams when out killing. (Best analogy). It sounds loud on cold idle and quietens off when warm. Throttle adjustments can be heard clearly from the muffler as I razz along but I don't think it sounds too annoying to pavement users unlike some Nova/Corsa backboxes. I really need to let somone do a drive-by in my motor whilst I watch to really listen to it.

I'd say the quality of the steel is the same between the two systems and both have been used in high power setups by other members with no trouble at all.

As G has said - budget and sound. On a regular street car no-one would tell the minor differences in power. Go with what your heart says. I would have loved a full Spoon setup but my DC system came by at a very good price - and I only know of the Scouser owning one so got a bit of exclusivity too. :p

Jay..

And that Scouser is me!!! :twisted:

The Spoon is a quality bit of kit, no probs there.

The DC Sports is also a great zorst.

Once you have heard and seen both then make a choice. 8)

jocksaway :) if you want mega light waight system and racing type, go for buddy club pro spec or the spec 3. i have the pro spec and it sounds amazing. Buddy Club Pro Spec muffler. Designed for the road but developed on the race track. its a race team for honda and they know what they do, its cheap only 420 pounds, also easly a mach for spoon and better sound. Developed by the race winning team, this cat back system looks sounds and fits perfectly.
Designed to optimise torque in the low to mid speed range the ProSpec Muffler is designed for performance as well as meeting sound level standards (with bung attached). With its deep throaty tone it echoes it's racing lineage.

The BC stuff is good IME, had a Spec III on my car. Got fairly decent results with it, although I have a sneeking suspicion that I'd have seen a couple more ponies if I'd had a Spoon exhaust and more still with the Toda.

IMO, Spoon vs BC, I'd take the BC exhaust, it's lighter and doesn't have the price tag or dodgy aesthetics of the Spoon system. That said the 2nd hand price of Spoon systems has dropped loads as they've become about the most common exhaust on the CTR.

If you have the money though I can't recommend the Toda system enough, it's not loud in the slightest which makes it ideal to mate up to a race manifold. BC exhaust + race manifold = way too loud for road use, infact my Spec III was damn loud with a stock manifold. Spoon + manifold is loud, but not much louder than a BC exhaust + stock manifold IME.

So:
Not planning on manifold: BC for the cheap option, Spoon if not
Want Manifold: Spoon possibly, although Toda would be best bet

thankyou message

thanks fella"s for your replies to the debate on spoon or dc . to b honest i really fancied the spoon one but that peashooter tailpipe really puts me off . where as the dc has bit presence wi 4 inch pipe . and they really comin down in price . abp sellin at mo for £475 . Anyone sellin cheaper ? by the way i was led to believe the buddy club one really loud ?? :?

yeah the BC Spec III is pretty loud, however they do a really cool spec IV, which is quieter in general driving, but as the revs increase sounds really nice :D. Oh it looks cool as well. There should be a pic in the Trader section I think, look under Unit 8, or on thier website....

G said:
however they do a really cool spec IV, which is quieter in general driving, but as the revs increase sounds really nice :D. Oh it looks cool as well

N77 has made a vid of this exhaust on someone's car. Pretty cool as well.

Has it not been placed on here???

If not try here

RIGHT CLICK SAVE TARGET AS....

dotty said:
I wonder which one is the more free flowing out of the two :?:

I really doubt there will be too much in it tbh m8, at least as far as stage 1/2 tuning goes. It only really becomes any kind of issue when you are pushing the tuning higher.

G said:
dotty said:
I wonder which one is the more free flowing out of the two :?:

I really doubt there will be too much in it tbh m8, at least as far as stage 1/2 tuning goes. It only really becomes any kind of issue when you are pushing the tuning higher.

Cheers G. I thought as much 8)

bhp ?

how much power increase should i expect from a spoon or dc catback system i aiready have a aem cai kit on. after sorted zorst lookin at puttin on the k100 ecu from cpl. anyone done this ? anygood ? :wink: by the way i mean total bhp :twisted:

Re: bhp ?

jocksaway said:
how much power increase should i expect from a spoon or dc catback system i aiready have a aem cai kit on. after sorted zorst lookin at puttin on the k100 ecu from cpl. anyone done this ? anygood ? :wink: by the way i mean total bhp :twisted:

215bhp at a guess...

Re: bhp ?

dotty said:
jocksaway said:

215bhp at a guess...

is that guess at the fly or wheel?

Re: power

jocksaway said:
is that all ? thought maybe few more ponies than that ? :shock:

I reckon you'll be seeing about 185 maybe more at the wheel.

Back