• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sports Cat for DC5

Anybody know anyone who makes or can make a sports cat for a DC5?

I know a decat would be the best option, but was just wondering if there was a legal way around restrictive flow be using a sports cat instead? Ideally, I would like just the cat replacement, as I'm fairly happy with the DC5 mani atm.

Also, how would be standard ECU and map behave if I were to do this? Never quite got my head around the whole running lean or not thing. An explanation on this would also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you please.

Mugen do a Mani sport cat combo, but as Mugen is it's mega expensive.

Not sure I have seen a sport cat replacement for the DC5, the Spoon de-cat is the only one that springs to mind mate, but it's not what your after as it has no cat.

As far as the whole running lean thing goes this is my take on it...

As you increase the air flow, (ie, intake and exhaust) you get the gases in and out of the engine quicker, this alters the mix ratio of the air fuel being burned in the cylinders.

So by changing the air flow you end up having a uneven mix, too much air, and not enough fuel, this makes the mix lean.

By having the car re-mapped, you alter (increase) the fuel being injected into the cylinders to allow for the extra air, hence more bang for you buck.

A de-cat just gets the exhaust gases out quicker.

Hope that makes sense mate :) .

If you don't want to change the mani then just get a proper decat, kpro and have it mapped. Will make a huge difference, wouldn't bother with a sports cat unless you spend $$$$$ on a good one.

I know someone who could get around the whole no cat issue when it comes to MOT time, so do you think a Spoon De-cat would be a better option? I really haven't got the bare dollar to afford a Kpro and Map atm or even in the near future, as things like weddings etc take presedence.

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I get better flow by de-cat or even a sports cat, will I notice any significant (worthwhile) gains without a re-map?

I suppose what I'm asking is, if I get better flow by de-cat or even a sports cat, will I notice any significant (worthwhile) gains without a re-map?

For the 2 days, I had my DC5 mani, Spoon de-cat and Spoon B-pipe fitted without the new map, the only difference was noise really and maybe the revs climbing a little quicker higher up.

On my dyno run, with the standard EP3 map and a GM along with all of the other breathing mods I mentioned above, I got 205bhp, so that's a increase of 8bhp.

So its minimal without a map IMO.

Saying that I think you have a N1, plus having the JDM K20 to start with you may get more, but thats a ball park for you.

Thanks for the info guys

Saying that I think you have a N1, plus having the JDM K20 to start with you may get more, but thats a ball park for you.

More importantly, I've got the B pipe, which is going to help more than the N1.

JDM K20 is about 220bhp at the fly IIRC, so I'm guessing with the Gruppe M and Spoon cat back, I will be getting no more than 230bhp. Still enough for me.

More importantly, I've got the B pipe, which is going to help more than the N1.

Yeah, I knew you had the B pipe, I was getting at the point that if you got the Spoon de cat you would have the same set up as me, bar the N1. So you would get more of a idea in power increase.

I got a extra 20bhp in all after my map, but my OEM box was strangling it.

Yours would be interesting starting from 220bhp.

So let me get this right. Unless I remap the car on an aftermarket ECU, a decat/mani combo is simply píssing into the wind?

I got 8 BHP form my bolt on's without a map.

20 BHP with a map.

been thinking about this and I don't think it will make a difference without a remap :)

Back