• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

spudgun GB's premier edition ep3

Around the early part of August, my wife's best friend was on the hunt for a new Mini and her current car,a 2005 Civic type R, had to go. Her original plan was to sell if off directly to trade as the Mini dealership wasn't keen to have it as a part-ex and they didn't want the hassle of lots of tyre kickers coming around and mucking them about.
I had admired the Civic for sometime and her level of care for the car was bordering on OCD.
She always parked at the far end of the car park as far away as she could from anyone else, full dealer service history. It even had rubber car mats on top of the geniune Honda ones, which I found amusing.
The bottom line is, apart from a few stone chips, its a beauty.

DSCF8365.jpg

DSCF8368.jpg

DSCF8366.jpg

As you can see, its premier edition as well, which is good. Too be honest when I started equiring about it, I didn't have a clue what a premier edition was. You soon learn though. Also another strong reason for having this one was the mileage.

DSCF8373.jpg

DSCF8382.jpg

When I picked it up it was on 39,200 miles. Not bad for a nine year old car.
However, it wasn't all good news. The MOT only had 4 weeks to run and it was overdue a service.
A quick look over didn't reveal any issues and it went through the MOT no problem.
Now I was a bit stuck though. I have always serviced my own cars in the past but this has full Honda history and I didn't really want to let that lapse.
I ended up getting Honda to the basic service, which as far as I can tell is just an inspection, an oil and filter change and a rub around with a rag. £165. Can't say I see the value in that. Nevermind.
The rest I did myself and, generally speaking, its not a bad car to work on at all.
The jobs I undertook were.

Cabin filters
Air Filter
Spark plugs
Valve clearances- I can't believe they use the old school nut and screw for adjustment on a engine that revs like this :)
Gearbox oil
Coolant
Auxilary drive belt- The worst job by a mile. I ended up having to make up tooling to hold the sprung loaded tension in place while slipped the new belt on.
Rear Brake pads
Brake fluid

It think that's about it.

One thing I did try and do was the fuel filter. It lives in the fuel tank and it all came out easily enough but there is a problem that might help others. The blueprint part that is being sold as a fuel filter on ebay by many suppliers is infact the EVAP canister. Shame on you blueprint, that was a wasted morning.

The engine bay was a bit dissapointing and looked a bit of mess in all honesty but after a quick blow over with a pressure washer, it was transformed. It was mostly dust and cobwebs.

DSCF8383.jpg

I went out for my first decent run at the weekend up to Avebury and back and it's fanatastic on the twisty A and B roads. I have read complaints about a lack of torque, but maybe because I'm getting on a bit, its plenty fast enough for me even off vtec. I do understand the critism aimed at the numb steering though. It's miles away from the mk1 MR2 that I had before this on the communication front.

DSCF8371.jpg

The recaro's are very supportive. I like them a lot.

There are a few jobs to do though.

First off with be the front tyres. They were nearly bald when I first looked at the car and too be fair to to the wife's mate, they put new ones on for me before I picked it up which was really good of them, however, I think what is on there maybe at the bottom end of the market.

DSCF8380.jpg

Rovelo, anyone?

Also the front wheels themselves aren't perfect and I could see all four getting a trip up to Platinium wheel services at Swindon during the winter to bring them back to their best.

Other than that my plan is to keep it as standard as possible, to the point I may even fork out for a set of Bridgestones for it. I would need to be feeling flush for that though, maybe.

Cheers for stopping by and having a look.

Rovelo tyres? Are they budget tyres?

First thing to do is switch them! :) Toyo Proxes or F1 Asymmetrics is good choice in my eyes :asw:

Im sorting my tyres next week, my mate owns a tyre shop, ive always had proxes, they were 117 a corner, but had a far worse rating than a 75quid gt tyre he sells, both directional so do abit of digging before slapping proxes on.

Cheers you boys for the positive stuff so far.

Is your front bumper a different colour to the rest of the car?

DSCF8380.jpg

I know its never had a spray gun pointed at it so that's how it must of come out the factory. The rear bumper cover has been replaced some time ago but Honda supply them finished in the correct colour, so no need for spraying there. I read somewhere there was an issue with the bumpers being a slightly different colour to the rest car somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be honest, I love my proxes, but they are a bit pants in the wet.

I will be changing them as soon as the buggers go down :)

apparently asymmetrics are awesome for wet or dry according to this forum and every other forum out there :)

But seriously, you have a lovely example right there, standard exterior...KEEP IT! :p

do something mad with the engine though, bore it out or a thruster in the boot ;)

That looks like a mint example. Very nice.

+1 for the Goodyear F1 asymmetrics, I love mine, wouldn't put anything else on now tbh.

Also, pressure washer in the engine bay! :eek:

I know its never had a spray gun pointed at it so that's how it must of come out the factory. The rear bumper cover has been replaced some time ago but Honda supply them finished in the correct colour, so no need for spraying there. I read somewhere there was an issue with the bumpers being a slightly different colour to the rest car somewhere.

Ah fair enough, she does look mint though. Was the colour I really wanted when I was first looking.

Also Focus ST's have a really obvious issue with the bumper colours, I think it's the plastic.

Good info on the tyres. I had a MR2 Mk1 for 13 years before I sold it to find room for the Civic and the Goodyear eagle f1's were highly rated in those circles. Not great for track work but great on the road apparantly.

Coincidently, I used to run T1-R's on the MR2 and loved them, but do remember they were a bit marmite. The general conclusion was they were good on a light cars but anything that weighed a bit and they weren't so hot.

What's your feeling on them in the dry, the toyos? I'm in the fortunate position the Civic isn't my only car and will probably not see too much wet weather driving. The jag does the hard day to day stuff.

Don't panic with the engine being pressure washed, probably sounds worse than it was. I went nowhere near the cylinder head and my little Karcher seems to have prostrate trouble these days.

Very tidy looking example.

Keeping it standard?... Will see...

You might well be right, but externally it will be left alone.

On wednesday, I was reading through the forum and I spotted a fix to a little problem I had noticed on mine. A slight of a metallic rattle at 3000-4000 rpm. So out with the jack and off with the exhaust and driveshaft heat shields. Rather than leave them off though, I MIG welded the inserts to the shields with a couple of tacks per insert. Touched up with a bit of paint and we're good to go.
Put them back on and no rattles at the minute. Happy days and all thanks to the guys on here.

Back