• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

When I was at Stevie's the other week for the service and MOT he said my front pads were very low. I ordered some fresh EBC Yellowstuff pads and set about changing them.

Think Stevie was right...............

Must keep a closer eye on them in future.
icon_wink.gif

Just read from first page. Great read
looks a mint car bet it drives like a dream

pain to keep clean ***! My golf did my head in, had to clean it all the time

Couldn't honestly answer. It doesn't really fit an FN2 without some jiggery pokery. It is a good piece of kit though.

I really like this car, I would buy it if it had mugen wing, bonnet and if it were for sale of course. Haven't read though this entire thread yet, what alloys are those? and is that an RRC or RBC fitted? would you perhaps hit 270 with a skunk2 intake and TB? 268 is as high as i've seen on EP3s woth tdi drop in cams and I though FN2s generally got slightly lower figures.

I really like this car, I would buy it if it had mugen wing, bonnet and if it were for sale of course. Haven't read though this entire thread yet, what alloys are those? and is that an RRC or RBC fitted? would you perhaps hit 270 with a skunk2 intake and TB? 268 is as high as i've seen on EP3s woth tdi drop in cams and I though FN2s generally got slightly lower figures.

Thanks, so do I. lol. After seeing some of the cars on display at Silverstone Classic last Sunday it might be up for sale at the end of the year!

The alloys are Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2s and the air intake manifold is an RRC.

I would have fitted a Skunk2 intake and TB but to be honest the costs kind of outweighed any possible gains (if any). Thing is when I'm driving on track I am not bouncing off the limiter all the time, hence not using all the power. Also I wasn't out to chase numbers at all costs. What I wanted was to maximise what I had without spending money just for the sake of it. As you know n/a tuning is expensive and as such I have spent enough on other mods to help handling etc hence I wasn't going to chase a couple of extra horsepower. As it stands it goes well enough for my current needs. The way to go if I was so inclined would be either bigger cc or another car. :)

Did a track day in July (25th) at Oulton Park. Haven't had time to write any updates to the thread, so here goes:

Having fitted a fresh set of Yellowstuff pads I had to put some mileage on them before the track day itself. Unfortunately due to work commitments I didn't manage the full mileage required. End result is I suffered big style on the day. Two moments of brake fade and poor pedal feel through out the day. None of this helped by scorching temperatures which resulted in me taking it easy (don't like giving the car death when it is very hot).

I managed to get the first session loaded:

Oulton Park Session one Civic FN2 - 25th July 2014 - YouTube

First session felt OK especially with the new tyres fitted (Federal RSRs). Grip was improved over the Paradas I had tracked before. I then ran into an issue with the tyre pressure gauge I had been using. It appears it has become less accurate and therefore thinking I had say 30 psi in a tyre I actually had something like 24 psi! The only indication that something was not right was when the whole car started moving about quite badly under braking. This led to the first time I have ever had to put air back into my tyres during a track day.

The day itself was broken up with numerous red flags ending sessions and in the afternoon I did less sessions than desired due to one of the lads running with us dropping all his oil! Overall though an interesting and enjoyable day.

The new tyres are very good and I had far more grip than with the Paradas. Be interesting to see how they perform on a cooler day. Perhaps Donington will oblige in October.

Going back to the brakes. Since the track day I have had no brake whatsoever. Poor pedal feel and no confidence in them. Suspecting the pads to be glazed I tried de-glazing them with no joy. Having seen a hardly used set of Performance Friction pads for sale I decided to buy them and give them a go. I took the Yellowstuff pads out the other morning, they are toast! Put the Performance Frictions in and had a quick blast out. Initial reaction to them is 'WOW'. Excellent pedal feel with superb cold bite. Done a couple of stoppies from 70 mph and they are outstanding. If they maintain this level of braking ability when hot then I will be buying again (even at their full price).

I will update the thread again when I get the other video up.

Well the car hasn't been messed with for a while, mainly because I have been happy with it. Having the engine at a level that any improvement would mean big bucks (I've spent enough in that department) I had a few plans in the back of my mind. Cue a few weeks ago when Stevie at Grinspeed posted on Facebook that someone had let him down. They had booked for a new final drive and then cancelled. That left him holding a new MFactory 5.46 final drive. He offered me a good deal on it and I decided to take him up on it.

Car was booked in today and it had a few other items done as well:

* Internals on the MFactory LSD changed for the race version

* New stage one Exedy clutch fitted

* Clutch fluid replaced

* Brake fluid replaced + brakes checked over

* Geo checked

* Issue with locking petrol cap fixed

* Handbrake adjusted

* Pollen filter changed

* Loose top mount on front right coilover located and tightened up

Work started at 0830hrs and was completed come 1600hrs. Stevie & Lee didn't stop all day. Can't fault them.
icon_smile.gif

A quick blast in that car when finished and the LSD is a revelation. Just a pity the race upgrade wasn't available when I had it fitted in the first place. Turn into a roundabout or power through a tight corner and I have to wind off the steering as the front end drags itself around. The feel is far more pronounced that it was before. Looks like I shall have to learn to drive again!

Few pics from today:

Various bits lined up on the bench

MFactory Internals

Exedy stage one clutch plate

Clutch fitted

Going to take it careful for a few days to make sure the clutch settles in. Car will then be put through it's paces at Donington next month.
icon_smile.gif

Big thanks to Stevie & Lee at Grinspeed for all their hard work.
icon_biggrin.gif

Excellent update. What do you make of the final drive change? I bet it goes like a greased whippet now!

Excellent update. What do you make of the final drive change? I bet it goes like a greased whippet now!

Cheers John. As I've had a new clutch fitted Stevie said to take it easy for a few days just to make sure it has bedded in properly, therefore I haven't pushed it. It does feel more 'spritely' though. The only thing that has dissapointed me is the lack of noise! One of my mates has one fitted and it has a nice whine. Mine at the moment is silent. :(

The diff you mean? Maybe Stevie is just the master diff fitter?!

Excellent update Paul I bet it must feel like a different car yet again with the new additions. I presume the whine you are referring to relates to the 5.46 final drive? How are you getting along with the shortened ratios?

Excellent update Paul I bet it must feel like a different car yet again with the new additions. I presume the whine you are referring to relates to the 5.46 final drive? How are you getting along with the shortened ratios?

Cheers Ben. Yes the FD as above. Stevie said it may gain some noise when it has a few miles on it however they have been slightly redesigned and it may stay silent. :(

The shortened ratios leave the car eager to rev and it feels more urgent on the road. 'm looking forward to giving it a good run out on track to see how it fairs. Just got to get the speedo calibrated next week at TDi North then it's sorted.

Back