• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

Cheers Ben. Yes the FD as above. Stevie said it may gain some noise when it has a few miles on it however they have been slightly redesigned and it may stay silent. :(

The shortened ratios leave the car eager to rev and it feels more urgent on the road. 'm looking forward to giving it a good run out on track to see how it fairs. Just got to get the speedo calibrated next week at TDi North then it's sorted.
Hopefully it will produce a bit of whine when it all wears in. The stage 1 clutch took about 3000 miles to properly bed in on mine but once it does it just feels like the stock Exedy, one thing you might notice is that it can be a bit smelly to begin with but that's normal. The great thing about your setup is that even with the shorter gearing you don't lose too much economy thanks to the 9k rev limit, I noticed on my EP3 when the final drive was changed to a 5.10 that the pickup in particularly 3rd, 4th & 5th was hugely improved.

That 5.46 FD will be excellent on track

Hopefully it will produce a bit of whine when it all wears in. The stage 1 clutch took about 3000 miles to properly bed in on mine but once it does it just feels like the stock Exedy, one thing you might notice is that it can be a bit smelly to begin with but that's normal. The great thing about your setup is that even with the shorter gearing you don't lose too much economy thanks to the 9k rev limit, I noticed on my EP3 when the final drive was changed to a 5.10 that the pickup in particularly 3rd, 4th & 5th was hugely improved.

That 5.46 FD will be excellent on track

If the final drive doesn't make any noise it will be me Ben who will be whining :)lol:). Clutch will have to put up with a couple of track days with approx 600 miles on from fitting. If it isn't worn in beforehand, I am certain it will be afterwards! It's more a case of me getting used to the bite on it. Driving home in traffic last night was a little interesting trying to get a smooth getaway. No kangaroos thankfully. :)

TBH I wasn't worried about economy, I mainly do short trips in town to and back from work. Can run in 6th at 30mph and it pulls about the same revs as 5th did before. Should see same mpg around town. :)

Have noticed the same with the pick up. Expecting to be quicker out of corners which should help overtaking quicker cars on track. Hopefully surprise a few people. ;) Roll on 21st October.......

The other week I paid Donington Park a visit with Trev, Colin & Jordan for what turned out to be one wet and slippery track day. The day was littered with red flags and various spins from the rear wheel drive contingent. Donington lived up to it's reputation of being difficult in the wet. The belief being that it's proximity to the airport leaves a film of unburned fuel on the track. It certainly felt like that!

I am not going to review my LSD upgrade or the Performance Friction pads as I couldn't really stretch the car. Brakes wise though I will say this, during the period when it dried out a little I was braking way to early!

I will upload my video's as and when time permits. In the meantime I have uploaded a few to view. Unfortunately I missed one session as I forgot to start the camera (doh). It was a good session with a couple of cars going off in front of me as well. Gutted!

On a sour note I missed a gear on an up change (yes that's right an up change). Caught 3rd instead of 5th and buzzed the limiter. Car is booked in to Grinspeed in a couple of days time for new timing chain, tensioner & guides as a precaution. Car has run fine since the mishap however I am not taking any chances. I won't be doing that again!

Anyway a few vids.......................

Big thanks to Trev, Colin & Jordan for a cracking day. Also big thanks to Stevie & Lee from Grinspeed who joined us for the day.
icon_biggrin.gif

hi I have a stock fn2 gt just fitted a larger throttle body told would run fine as is but to get the best I need a re map but funds are low see you started with flash pro is this a good place to start
thanks steve

hi I have a stock fn2 gt just fitted a larger throttle body told would run fine as is but to get the best I need a re map but funds are low see you started with flash pro is this a good place to start
thanks steve

Hi Steve,

As per pm, you won't get any gains out of a throttle body on it's own. Wait until you can fit a race exhaust manifold and get a custom map fitted. That will transform the car. :)

After my poor gear change at Donington and subsequent over rev I took the decision that it was best to change my timing chain, tensioner and guides. They have been on the car from new, done 40,000 miles and 9 track days. I do not wish to destroy my engine so preferred to play safe.

Yesterday I paid Stevie and Lee a visit at Grinspeed and had them replaced.

All the necessary bits:

To be fair Stevie & Lee said the old one was in good shape. Apparently there was a small amount of stretch in the chain but nowhere near as bad as many of the cars they have seen.

In addition to the timing chain I had asked Stevie if he could get hold of some Whiteline upgraded droplinks. Essentially I had replaced the passenger side twice within 12 months. The hope is that the upgraded ones will last a little longer. While there I had these fitted.

The big surprise was the drive home. I wasn't expecting the droplinks to make any difference to the feel of the car, however I was wrong. The front end feels really taught (more so than before) and the steering feels more responsive.

Just hoping that Silverstone on Monday has a reasonable amount of dry time. Want to give the car a good work out and see how the diff feels. Fingers crossed.
icon_smile.gif

Had an interesting track day yesterday at Silverstone with Trevor (Lazytrev) & Paul (Typesgt4me). Start of the day was wet and the track rather slippery in places. Had booked tuition and was at first upset that I was first victim of the day. Basically I went out on 2 lots of parade laps at a sedate pace and then come straight in for my tuition. No fast laps meant I had little idea of where the grip was (or wasn't).

First lap coming through the loop came off the brakes turned in with power on and car started to slide to the point that it was a matter of selecting where to go off. Straighten the car up and over the rumble strip on to the outside of the corner and follow the 'get out of jail free' tarmac strip round the corner and then re-join the track.

Second lap coming through Club, car loses grip completely. Power kept on and head over rumble strip on to the outside 'get out of jail free' tarmac!

On both occasions the instructor and myself were just laughing. The grip was questionable in a few places but the track was still fast. The rest of the tuition went without incident.

As the track started to dry out the pace increased and it has to be said, I cannot wait to go back! Silverstone is fast, challenging and really good fun. The tuition being first thing was actually good. Knowing early on in the day what lines to take made the rest of the sessions far easier.

Did a few sessions and then came the bad news. Trevor happened to look at my rotors and said, have you seen this? Went over to look and both front rotors had small cracks on them.

Unsure how they looked on the inside I decided to give them time to cool down. During dinner I took off one of the wheels and checked the inside of the rotor. All was fine. Decision was taken to go out after dinner and take it easy for a few laps, come in and check them again.

Off out after dinner and immediately there was a small vibration. Nothing too serious, and one that seemed to drop off with heat in the brakes. Having done about 4 laps and meeting with traffic I decided to play it safe and come back in. The result can be seen below. Game over!

I am getting new rotors fitted next week and will have a better look at these when they come off. Suffice to say that track time was done for me on the day and the drive home was a gentle one!

Big thanks to Trevor for spotting it before something went big time wrong.

Good effort, especially with two small offs with the instructor with you!

What do you reckon has caused the cracks? Some decent temperature cycles or just length of use?

Good effort, especially with two small offs with the instructor with you!

What do you reckon has caused the cracks? Some decent temperature cycles or just length of use?

Cheers John. It would have happened with or without the instructor in the car. The track was quite bad in places!

The cracks I think have been caused by heat generated by the Performance Friction pads I had in. The stopping ability of these pads is on another planet. I fitted them before Donington but the weather was that bad I couldn't really use them. Yesterday as the track dried out I was hitting the brakes at the end of Hangar straight and the fronts were locking up immediately and ABS having to intervene at 120 mph! There were no cracks on the rotors at the start of the day and the cracks all appear around the middle of the rotor where it gets hottest. I just think the rotors can't cope with the heat being generated by these pads (add to the fact I have had 20000 road miles and done 9 previous track days with these rotors fitted). Time to try a different pad me thinks.:)

Gyrodiscs 2 piece rotors with the performance friction pads. Friend of mine using them in his Evo X.

Gyrodiscs 2 piece rotors with the performance friction pads. Friend of mine using them in his Evo X.

Had a quick look at these. It appears they do replacement for OEM discs which doesn't really help with have the BBK fitted. Needing the car repaired ASAP as it is my daily I have ordered a set of Stoptech replacements. My intention is to try and find something else that will fit and work with these pads at a later date.

Had a quick look at these. It appears they do replacement for OEM discs which doesn't really help with have the BBK fitted. Needing the car repaired ASAP as it is my daily I have ordered a set of Stoptech replacements. My intention is to try and find something else that will fit and work with these pads at a later date.

Should be able to get a set. My Impreza has Ksport 8 pots with 2-piece discs and they can provide a set. Once they know what fitment the bell is and how big the discs are needed they can put it together. My friend took his Evo to Anglesy whenhe had his bedded in and they never faded on track but did create enough heat to turn his callipers a nice golden brown :D

Another friend of mine was that impressed with the stopping power considering the weight of the Evo X that he has put them in to his classic impreza wagon. Think his cost €600+

Will have to make some enquiries in the new year when the finances have recovered.

There is no question about the braking ability of the pads. They are awesome. Can certainly understand someone wanting them fitted to their car after a run out in one with them fitted. Nothing else is going to feel as good.

Paid Stevie & Lee a visit at Grinspeed last Monday to get my broken brakes sorted. Was worried that when they tried to get the bell housing off that the pins would be knackered and the housing would not be in good enough shape to be re-used. As it happens I need not have worried. The new discs came with fresh pins and the bell housing was in fine shape.

New discs............

New discs fitted...........

With the damaged discs off the extent of the cracking can be seen. It was visible on both discs on both sides.........

The disc that had split was in a bad way...........

The actual split had started to go through the vented section......

A steady drive back to get rid of the coating was required followed by a bedding in procedure. All done on Monday night. It's so nice to have brakes.
icon_smile.gif

Big thanks to Stevie & Lee at Grinspeed for their help.
icon_smile.gif

Finally got time to upload the rest of my track day sessions at Silverstone from November. During sessions 3 & 4 the track was getting progressively drier making the laps quicker. Very enjoyable.
icon_smile.gif

3rd Session

4th Session

After the 4th session the cracking discs were spotted by Trevor and having checked them I went out for what was the final gentle session............
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif
icon_sad.gif

Good news though as the track day is being run again this year in November and I am already booked up. Can't wait.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Paul

Hope you are well mate.

Just remembered that you had a 5.46 final drive installed on your FN2 at Grinspeed.

I'm seriously considering getting one for the EP3 with carbon synchros and a lightened flywheel (already got a stage 1 clutch & LSD installed too) and I just wondered how you are finding it in terms of improvement and reliability?

Any advice/reviews would be greatly appreciated :)
Pete

Hi Paul

Hope you are well mate.

Just remembered that you had a 5.46 final drive installed on your FN2 at Grinspeed.

I'm seriously considering getting one for the EP3 with carbon synchros and a lightened flywheel (already got a stage 1 clutch & LSD installed too) and I just wondered how you are finding it in terms of improvement and reliability?

Any advice/reviews would be greatly appreciated :)
Pete

Sorry Pete I was too late. You've already ordered them! You'll love them. :)

Back