• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

Nice update Paul, glad to hear you are happy with the exhaust note now and the engine is making really good power, going for more of a sleeper look too ;)

Any other plans in the pipeline buddy or are you going to enjoy the set-up on a few track days?

Cheers Pete. There are things I would love to do but tbh I've spent a small fortune getting it to where it is now. Probably enjoy it for a while until I get bored, then who knows. ;)

Haha I know what you mean mate, modifying Honda's is definitely not for the faint hearted :D

Go and enjoy those track days Paul, I might come and have a go with you during the year, then when you do get content/bored I predict a turbo install haha.

Last weekend I went to Oulton Park for a track day. The weather first thing was very cold with ice everywhere. MSV had put down salt on the track to help get rid of it. Track conditions throughout the day were bad to reasonable depending on the weather at the time.

Over the winter MSV had relaid Shell Oils and the notoriously slippery Druids. In the videos this can be seen by the lack of white track boundary lines in these locations (as they hadn't been in a position to paint them yet). These relaid areas provided more grip than had been previously presented. Two locations that were poor (compared to my last track day there) was Hislop's and Lodge. Both were very tricky and not helped with fuel going down during the early morning.

Either way I will be uploading videos here and in the thread for the track day. They will be posted when they are done (it takes ages to edit and upload these).

First session the video was useless due to the low sunlight, therefore this won't be uploaded. Sufficient to say that it was a good session with the car sliding around and only spoilt by a 3 series BMW race car that would not move out of the way (more on this shortly).

2nd Session - This session is interesting because the BMW gets in the way again. Towards the end it goes off right in front of us at Lodge. If you look closely at the video I have a 'moment' when I have to stamp on the brakes to avoid him.

http://youtu.be/yUO9vhT9_RQ

3rd Session - Slippy session which has just been restarted after a red flag was thrown because there was fuel dumped by an Alfa around the majority of the track. This made certain parts of the track very dodgy. The session gets red flagged when a Clio goes off at Hislop's.

http://youtu.be/YCCCzNbuonI

More to follow........................
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

LOL at the BMW driver's spin after acting like he was the only car on the track!! :D

Looking very quick in those conditions mate, definitely have to come and have a track day with you this year.

LOL at the BMW driver's spin after acting like he was the only car on the track!! :D

Looking very quick in those conditions mate, definitely have to come and have a track day with you this year.

At least they are consistent and drive on track as they do on road.;)

You're more than welcome to join us Pete. Normally a good day out with other like minded car nuts.:)

Engine sounds lovely in person, was a good day. Shame about the weather.

What tyres are you running out of interest?

They do seem to work very well in the wet

I just bought a set of paradas, was going to get ad08's but now I live in wales it's probably best to compromise

Paradas aren't bad in the dry but in the wet they are terrible. I have them on my 18's and aim to replace them with Eagle F1s or another set of Michelins. On the flip side the Paradas are really hard wearing. I've done 5 track days and 14000 miles and still got loads of tread om them!

Some of you may well know I bought a Skunk2 intake a few months back. It was bought on a whim and once I sat down and worked out costs for fitting + mapping I initially decided I wouldn't make enough gains therefore put it up for sale. No takers came to the fore and so I decided I would have to bite the bullet and get it installed.

Fast forward to this morning. Knowing that Stevie & Lee at Grinspeed had fitted a Skunk2 intake before I made my way there for this reason. The intake is NOT a direct fit. Unfortunately Tegiwa's fitting instructions on Civinfo show the chassis leg requiring a cut made in it, along with a small section being cut out. This isn't a bright idea and there was no way in a month of sundays that this was how it was going to be fitted to my car. Basically the passenger side headlight housing needs altering to accomodate. This was done by Stevie and Lee and all complete come dinnertime.

Lee doing all the work while Stevie stands there drinking tea:

Intake fitted (poor pic on the phone):

The car was booked to go for mapping at TDI north on Weds, but work called requesting me on night turn to cover for someone having gone sick; I contacted Paul and he said he could fit me in on the way back from Grinspeed. Steady drive from Grinspeed had me at TDI north for 1400hrs. Paul was quite busy but as usual that gave me plenty of time to catch up with the lads. Also good to meet Andrew Moore on an extended dinner break in good spirits.

Car ended up on the dyno around 1530hrs. Paul having to make the necessary alterations to fueling etc interceded with pauses while alterations to the map are uploaded (this I believe is called the 'Candy Crush' time
icon_wink.gif
).

Car on the dyno:

First 5 runs saw figures between 263 & 264bhp. I was already impressed but expected this to fall as it was quite warm for time of year and it can get quite warm in the workshop when the dyno is running.

Lazytrev popped over for a chat while the car was still on the dyno and we both waited to see what the final results would be. Well I was gobsmacked (and so was Trev).

268.4 bhp with 182.7 lb/ft

That is way more than I expected. I genuinely expected 260 to 262bhp at the most. Really, really happy with the result. The car drives so smoothly and pulls all the way through the rev range. It doesn't drop off at the top end like before.
Really pleased that the Skunk2 didn't sell now.
icon_smile.gif

Now got it booked in at TDI north at the start of May for upgraded fuel pump and injectors as they are both maxed out!

Graph is also attached showing the differences between the previous map and this one.
icon_smile.gif

View attachment Skunk2 Map vs CPL CAI.pdf

Fantastic write up Paul and absolutely amazing figures :eek: 268bhp and 182lbs ft really is exceptional
I bet you are chuffed with that, as you already stated just proves how much potential these motors have with the right setup

What's the future plans then Paul or are you nearing completion now? Will the temptation of ITB's be too much to ignore :)?

Very nice results indeed. I knew there was some more in those cams!

I'm tempted to see if I can get one of these intakes to fit the FD2 now. :lol:

Fantastic write up Paul and absolutely amazing figures :eek: 268bhp and 182lbs ft really is exceptional
I bet you are chuffed with that, as you already stated just proves how much potential these motors have with the right setup

What's the future plans then Paul or are you nearing completion now? Will the temptation of ITB's be too much to ignore :)?

Cheers Ben. It surprised me how much gain I got from a better intake. Map is very smooth and the car feels great.

Aside upgrading the fuel pump and injectors I am done. A set of ITBs would be nice to look at but I wouldn't get any gain. With the Skunk2 fitted the engine is getting all the air it needs.:)

Back