• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Starter motor noise

I'm getting the common starter motor grinding noise when starting up the car in the mornings, I've done a search and noticed most of the posts are in winter. My question is I get the noise all summer when it's 20+ outside.
Do I need to worry if I get the noise in warmer weather ?
Oh and it does the noise every single morning :(

I read somewhere that you can grease somthing on the starter and this solves it. But dont remember which part needs the lube. Sorry bit vague.

I read somewhere that you can grease somthing on the starter and this solves it. But dont remember which part needs the lube. Sorry bit vague.

Nice one, I'll have a search. Would be great if it was the starter and not something to do with the chain...as above I'm just a bit worried as it does it every start from cold no matter what the temperature is outside! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonderd what that was, I thought it was the starter motor going out! , but ive noticed the "green" indicator on the battery is no longer green! maybe #2 is right with a new battery!

I wonderd what that was, I thought it was the starter motor going out! , but ive noticed the "green" indicator on the battery is no longer green! maybe #2 is right with a new battery!

Just started me car up and it's still doing the noise. I noticed my battery indicator was red! Is it supposed to be green ? lol.

on the battery you will see a little sign saying what colour is what, on mine , and my last car it was green, black needs charging, and theres another one im unsure off though . maybe white?

Bah I'm an idiot, thought you meant the light on the dashboard :lol:

I'm uploading a video of my noise tonight, hopefully someone will confirm what it is :)

Sorry for the double post but here's a video! I have a feeling it's not the starter at all as I turned the key for a second while the engine was running and the noise it created was completely different to this:

After this noise the engine is as smooth as butter, it's lovely.

[video=youtube;gj-dQ9xd-wg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gj-dQ9xd-wg[/video]

is it the bit right after you started, ? for example. when you turn the key * keep turning, a lot of cars make that annoying Grinding noise * . like that? that's what mine does. I start it over, and get a little grind like when you hold the key turning even when car is started. if that makes sense -.-

The sound in question is when the video hits 13 seconds and finishes at 14 seconds, it's so bloomin' loud in person lol. It's a bit embarrassing :lol:

EDIT: now edited the video so it just shows noise

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the noise sound like, as I call it, a tractor noise like a diesel mondeo
i have the same thing cold or hot weather but only on first start up of the day? My mates a
mechanic he said something about an auto tensioner on the cam chain and thought it
may take a few secs to adjust when the engines been sat??

Sorry phone lagged and missed half posts! That noise is the same as I get! Ill ask him how it can be solved.
And for how much

Does the noise sound like, as I call it, a tractor noise like a diesel mondeo
i have the same thing cold or hot weather but only on first start up of the day? My mates a
mechanic he said something about an auto tensioner on the cam chain and thought it
may take a few secs to adjust when the engines been sat??

Yep that's exactly what I get. Sounds like a revving diesel for about 1 second lol :)

Looking forward to your mates response.

Back