• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Stone's Fast Road/ Track EP3 Type R

*** UP-DATE ***

So I found some free time today to get the Tegiwa finished, The only slight flaw with the Tegiwa/ Guppe M is the scuttle panel chop which leaves you with this -

IMG_1360.jpg

I had think and decided rather than paint it and end up with the colour being different that I would use some genuine 1mm carbon fibre sheet, Thankfully my friend Michael Woodford came to the rescue as he had some floating around his workshop!

I spent some time chopping away & shaping the carbon so it would fit near enough perfect! very happy with the finished piece, only thing I would change is the weave pattern so it followed the Tegiwa!

IMG_1368.jpg

Next Job, Door card swap, A good friend & fellow CTR owner wanted the black door cards so we did a straight swap -

IMG_1370.jpg

Next on the list is a steering wheel re-trim that I've recently seen on the forum, its the final piece letting the interior down!
- http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?85300-Had-my-steering-wheel-retrimmed

James

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't you have turned the part around to match,or is it my eyes being funny?
Looks good i might have to get one.
Tegiwa have a few bits I would like to get.

Nice car mate the scuttle panel looks really smart! the door cards are the best mod you`ve done so far.....

Just recently got back from the French Alps In the Type R! First time I've actually done the drive without heavy Snow/Ice so grabbed a few pictures along the way, Nothing fancy as I was having much more fun driving :twisted:

DSC03331.jpg

DSC03332.jpg

DSC03333.jpg

DSC03336.jpg

DSC03344.jpg

DSC03345-1.jpg

DSC03346.jpg

DSC03347.jpg

DSC03352-1.jpg

DSC03353-1.jpg

Covered 1,400 miles in total, The car performed faultlessly even with the near 2 hour mountain drive!

Also have the current specification -

Engine :
  • Tegiwa Carbon fibre Induction Set-up + Custom Carbon fibre slam panel
  • Tegiwa Aluminium Gearbox Bushes
  • Clockwise Motion Baffled Sump
  • ES Engine Mount Inserts
  • Face Lift EP3 Flywheel
  • Spoon B-Pipe
Suspension / Brakes :
  • Buddy Club N+ Spec Coilover Kit
  • Buddy Club Roll Centre Adjusters
  • SPC Rear Camber Arms
  • J's Racing Rear Strut Brace
  • Progress Rear Anti-Roll Bar
  • Polybushed Front Arms
  • HEL Braided Brake Lines + 5.1 Brake Fluid
  • Stoptech Fast Road Pads
Wheels / Tyres :
  • Enkei Evo 8 Alloys & Spigot rings
  • Hankook V12 EVO Tyres
Interior :
  • EP3 Face Lift Front Seats
  • EP3 Face Lift Front Door Cards
  • Stainless Steel 400 gram Gear Knob
  • Pioneer 2400 BT Double Din Head Unit + Custom Surround Install

The best holiday Ive ever been on was doing the Eurotour a few years ago, there are some amazing roads out there.

Lovely pics. Although after going skiing last year I doubt I would ever venture onto those roads lol.

Hi Mate, This is indeed my old EP3. Sooo happy to see it is still being used...I actually tried to buy it back from Solidsquare but he'd already sold it.

Does it not have a kpro anymore..?

The valve clearances were last done by me at around 120k, and quite regularly previous to that. It had around 4 oil changes per year for the last 6 yrs and spark plugs were changed every year also. The gearbox oil was changed a few times a year as well, with Torco RTF which really stood up well to the abuse it sometimes got ;) Highly recommend that stuff if you plan on tracking it. I was religeous with the fluid servicing and the engine and gearbox never let me down, they were mint even at 125k when I sold it. Really strong engine.
The coilovers were about 2 yrs old but I used to clean and grease them regularly (I had OCD you see). They were my second set of coilovers and the N+ were brilliant on road and track. It was corner weighted at Areamotorsport and whilst on the scales weighed in at 1149kg with the rear seats out and 3/4 tank of fuel.

1DSC_0009.jpg

Really glad to see this on here, seriously, wish you all the best with it. I'll certainly be subscribing to your thread....almost bought a tear to my eye to see it in the alps still looking good. :lol:

Awesome.

Always cool to hear from the original owner ;)

Yep the K-Pro was sold for three reasons, I had no plans for anything more than the Tegiwa intake/induction set-up (been there done that chasing bhp on N/A cars) The value of the K-pro would pay for the Evo wheels, Tyres & Tegiwa! and finally I actually prefer the standard V-tec switch point, purely as I bought the car to be fun & work for the power band :twisted:

Great to hear about the regular fluid changes, The engine is certainly spotless internally especially now it is approaching 132,000 miles!

Other than the Sunday morning drives etc it lives a much more relaxed life style than when you owned it lol! Done plenty of track days in the Clio's and have almost tied of them sadly, But to be honest I think its more the cost, Normally budget £300 a day for track days - Track pass £150, 2 tanks of fuel £120, Travel lodge £40, Food for the day £10 plus wear & tear on the car.. Soon adds up especially when I'm on the door stop to goodwood's back roads etc!

I don't suppose on the off chance you still have the interior boot lid plastics?

Really impressed with the suspension set-up, Drives really well, Feels extremely planted but at the same time you can have it on a good balance of over-steer with out it getting out of shape :twisted:

Thats a shame about the kpro, its really one of the best mods for a ctr...even a standard one. I had it on the car when it was standard for over a year, brilliant difference to mid range. The second map I had done that would have been on it when you bought it had been on there for a few years, it was done by Paul Jones at TDI North before he left, awesome mapper.:cool:
I've got loads of video's and photo's of it whipping GT4's, scoobys, rx7's, a Bathhurst VXR and many more on a different forum...build thread was some 120 pages long, lol. Got some good pics etc of all the undercarriage work and bits that were replaced etc.

132,00 miles wouldn't bother me in the slightest on that car...I swear it will reach 200k no worries if oil changes are kept up.

I gave all the spare parts I had to Solidsquare when he bought it off me, filled the boot iirc...maybe he still has them ?

Yeah, it handles well, I really had it sorted for the last year or so of ownership, played about with it constantly until I had it how I liked it. I changed the rear toe to favour a touch of oversteer...if you ever took it for a frs (and it hasn't been changed since) you'd probably be told to change it back as they tend to set them up a different way to favour safety.

Oh, I also refurbed the steering rack as well, stripped it right down and greased all the internals and replaced slider etc....meant to mention that last night.

Yep, Don't disagree, The K-Pro certainly allowed more use of the RPM range.. Still prefer driving on the boil with a tight power band and the later cross-over (I am aware I could have adjusted it on the K-pro to kick in later if desired)

Have you got a link to the monster 120 thread? be worth a read ;)

As you've said, I don't doubt there are many miles left in this K20 yet :twisted: Over the 1,400 mile road trip it used no noticeable amount of oil when checking the dip-stick and it doesn't appear to breath any amount of oil through the strainer/ breather & certainly feels strong! Have always done oil changes every 6k/ 6 months on all my cars & obviously allowing the temp needle to get upto temperature then giving another 10 minutes for the oil before making the most of the 8,000rpm rev range!

So the future plans for the Type R (If a company car doesn't force its sale)

* Mugen Rear Spoiler
* Mugen Front Lip
* Alloy Wheel Refurbishment
* Face lift headlights/ HID

Usually can't stand bodykits etc but the Mugen stuff just gives the EP3 a much harder edge, The wheels have virtually no marks but are suffering from corrosion & I would get the centre caps smoothed to remove the Mitsubishi logo and replace with some honda "H" stickers in red along with an Enkei stickers completely in red, Think I would have them in either a clean/fresh silver or anthracite (Not into the scene points bronze etc)

Shall try and get a small video clip uploaded of the Type R up in the mountains!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick video of two small clips, The rest i'm not entirely sure would be ideal to have publicly viewed lol -

(Sadly Windows movie maker + lack of my Skill has managed to turn the Go-Pro 2 footage horrific)

[video=youtube;i2O0Wg-sgLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2O0Wg-sgLg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

*** UP-DATE ***

So the big question on the EP3's future was if it survived the drive to & from the French Alps in December, I'm happy to report it covered the journey faultlessly 4 up with all the luggage for 2 weeks minus the Snowboards!

Quick picture of it on the first day where it spent 2 weeks parked in the car park, When I retuned it fired up on the button :)

34-1_zpsa0adb0de.jpg

Finally Pioneer released the Firmware up-date to allow full blue tooth audio control with ISO 6!

35-2_zps6f5d5925.jpg

Now with it surviving the -10 ice glazed roads of the French Alps it was time to treat the car to some new toys!

Brand new set of TYC Facelift replica headlights -
36-2_zps36198da8.jpg

HID Kit
37-1_zpseaa94fec.jpg

H1 Adapters for the HID Kit
40_zps6293f41b.jpg

HB3 Plugs for the main beams
412_zpsf7e2508c.jpg

Indicator bulb holders from Honda
413_zps42ee5e05.jpg

Low profile LED strips
41_zps0d2e509c.jpg

Later style Type R badges
42_zps57da74fd.jpg

So first thing was to get the Interior LED's fitted up, I asked few months back where the best place to get the pick for them to come on with the interior light but it seems its some guarded secret as it took the original chap hours chasing out which circuit it was.. Any way, Here's how I found it (Took less than 15 minutes to locate!)

First thing, Quick browse of the Honda workshop manual, This is for a left hand drive car so the plugs were on the other side!
43_zps3d7d2994.jpg

Next step, Dropped the ceiling fitting down to work out what colours I would be looking for!
45_zpsaf289c3b.jpg

So it was pretty obvious when I stuck my head up in the foot well which plug it was going to be, Have labelled up a quick picture for those that want to do something similar
46_zps34cede36.jpg

Quick double check, Unfortunately its all I had as the multi meter was down the workshop but it still worked perfectly for identifying what was what.
44_zpsb9c5f600.jpg

Next up, I simply removed the lower ECU cover and double sided the strip on!
47_zps97563fa4.jpg

The drivers side was a touch more fiddly but there are suitable points, will try and get a picture when I'm next at the car! So finally I soldered and heat shrink the cables, Which left the finished item looking like so -

48_zps95921d8e.jpg

49_zps5ca95e68.jpg

Unfortunately the pictures for the headlight conversion are non-existent as the Sony snap shot had gone flat, But I did get a couple of pictures on the Iphone of the modified Indicator plug which should hopefully make life easier for you guys doing the facelift head light conversion!

So basically you will need to buy the Indicator bulb hold from Honda, But you can't buy the plug unless you want to purchase the entire engine bay loom.. So upon collection of the plugs I noticed what looked like a small line of copper running through the pins, So I prepared some cable & attempted to solder cable to the pins which worked perfectly!

A few pictures -

50_zps94381d5f.jpg

51_zps786486c9.jpg

52_zpsa3f1b39d.jpg

All fitted along with the new Type R badge -

54_zps4fdfbe88.jpg

53_zps3dbb6368.jpg

And yes the car is need of a clean lol!

In a nut shell, With the HID kit the night time driving is greatly improved over the stock H4 set-up & it freshens the front end up massively!

Next jobs on the list -

• Alloy wheel refurbishment - In silver with red Enkei & "H" stickers in the centre caps
  • Steering wheel re-trim
  • Machine polish entire car - Summer is coming :cool:
  • Mugen Splitter
  • Mugen spoiler
  • Henko wind deflectors
And in all honesty that will be it! Simply just enjoy driving it, Hopefully get it over to the "Ring" at some point this year!

James

Back