• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange noise Please advise

Hi,

got a 2004 EP3, with a strange sound coming from the engine but only when decelerating in gear and it only starts when it gets down to exactly 2000rpm in any gear, but stops if I touch the accelerator or put the clutch down. The sound is like a metallic ticking but it’s not in a particular frequency, I have checked driveshaft heat shield by removing it. I don’t have the injector cover so it’s not that. I have been told it could be my map on the ecu putting fuel in the engine when there is no spark because of decelerating.

I’m at a loss but its driving me crazy. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers kirk

Exhaust manifold under the car or noisy tappets - but then if they are that noisy then you may have problems... what ECU are you running?

I have no other suggestions mate... if it was internal engine related then the problem would manifest itself when accelerating too.. I can only think of something vibrating at that particular frequency.. :?:

similar thing

Having a similar problem but its a really loud squeeking noise...after driving for about 15-mins i notice when cruising anywhere near 2000-3000 rpm my ctr squeeks. very similar to a fan belt squeeking in older cars except its a constant noise. if i turn/accelerate/brake it stops but as soon as im goin in a straight line and not accelerating it starts again. mainly in 5th and 6th gear but have noticed its started in all gears now? its very loud to the point where people in the street are turning to see what the noise is. will it just be something simple like the fan? ive not asked at garage yet as it seems to only happen after 15 mins of driving and dont want to permit the stealers to boot my car about untill it happens. any suggestions so i could get them to check it out ?

Back