• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Strange tyre leak.

Hey guys!

Been having some problems with my front driver side and rear passenger side wheels. They seem to have a slow leak on both of them, so I have to regularly pump them up.
I have got brand new prada spec 2's all round on the car, the garage that fitted them thinks that my alloys have gone porous.
Does any one know if there is any truth in this happening before, or if anything can be done about it?

Many thanks!

You should fit some decent tyres. ;)

Can't say I've ever heard of alloys going porous. :freak: I would have thought slow puncture or the valves are leaking slightly.

Put some washing up liquid & water into a squirty plastic bottle. Shake it and then spray onto the tyre, should highlight the air leak.

I've heard of alloys going pourus before but never with Hondas, normally really, really, really old wheels!

It's more than likely going to be a leaking valve or leaking from the bead seat - where the tyre seals to the wheel. They will probably deny this as its operator error.

Get them to stick 4 new valves in & a load of bead seal around the rim & I'm 99% sure your problems will be solved! (unless you've got punctures! Unlikely.

How you finding the spec 2s?

on older BMWs, read 2000 and older it crops up sometimes on the forum that there are air leaks where the years of dirt & road salt etc have pitted and rubbed against the inside lip of the alloy where it meets the tyre. obviously you can't see how bad it has become when the wheels are in situ so unless you fall into the uber detailing camp who remove their wheels to wash the inside you would not notice this. this uneven surface means that sometimes air can escape. you would just thoroughly clean and rub down the inside of the alloy wheels affected when the tyres are not on and see how you go.

A dirty bead seat is sounding most likely, if the alloy isn't cleaned properly prior to fitting a new tyre the seal leaks very slowly. I had this on my CTR, got the tyre removed, cleaned up refitted and the problem disappeared. It was dropping about 3 psi a week, and if you parked up a kerb the increased weight caused this to increase slightly.

A dirty bead seat is sounding most likely, if the alloy isn't cleaned properly prior to fitting a new tyre the seal leaks very slowly. I had this on my CTR, got the tyre removed, cleaned up refitted and the problem disappeared. It was dropping about 3 psi a week, and if you parked up a kerb the increased weight caused this to increase slightly.

I've had this problem on a different car as well. Its the most likely reason for the leak. Alloys can go porous but I've never had that happen to me and I've had some seriously old wheels. Also if the wheels are buckled then the bead wont form a proper seal and that can cause leaks as well.

The Spec 2's are awesome! But then again I've not really tried any other tyre, apart from the bridgestone potenzas that were originally on it.

The Spec 2's are awesome! But then again I've not really tried any other tyre, apart from the bridgestone potenzas that were originally on it.
They're the worst tyre I've had on any of my Type R's. Above average in the dry, downright dangerous in the wet.

Had this on my cavalier, took it to a little Indian guy who fits tyres but heard around town that he's some sort of wheel guru. He took the tyre off an left the wheel on the tyre removal machine, got a grinder with a flapper head and linished the bead as it spun on the machine. Fitted it and I never leaked again.

Mine was dropping 4-5psi over a couple of weeks.
Told Honda during the MOT a couple of months back who said tyre seems ok, would have to be re-seated on the rim when they had more time.

Car serviced last Saturday, they re-seated it for free.

No problems now.

Back