• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

stupid sound in Rain

Hi there,

heres my civic:
new.jpg

I have a problem that only seems to happen when it's raining, I have posted this before but nobody seems to know whats going on.

After driving round in the rain for about 10 or more minutes i start to hear this rumbling sound coming from under the car, i even feel the vibrations though the seat, the more i accelerate the louder it gets, i have been to honda and described this to them, all they can and anyone else come up with is the heat shield, but he said to me that he tightened the bolts but it still does it. I even thought about recording it on my phone.

Since it only does it in the rain i cant burst into honda when its raining to tell them to come an listen to it.

I've had him check the car over for a fee (Grrr) and it come up clean, so i dont know whats going on and it only ever happens when its raining! Can anyone tell me whats wrong, its really start to bug me!

Thanks.

Rain water boiling on the exhaust mate, do you have a aftermarket one or OEM?

Welcome to the forum and nice car BTW.
:)

rain evaporating on the exhaust, only seems to happen on stainless steel zorsts.

Hi there, thanks for your reply's, it's all original.

I bought it with a few problems but have them fixed appeart from my headlights, there not UK ones with the cutoff to the left, its to the right instead, does anyone know where i can source some new ones?

Anyway back to the noise... not that i'm doubting you but i cant understand how this would make such a noise and the vibrations from the exaust pipe, is this a common problem an is there any way to stop it?

Cheers.

Are you sure the exhaust hasnt got a stainless steel centre section (b-pipe) mine does this but only since i put spoon b pipe and n1 backbox on

maybe you could wrap the exhaust it that heat wrap/ bandage stuff people put on manifolds to stop the engine bay getting hot :confused:

I had exactly the same thing on my DC5,felt like something was going to go bang or fall off.Its definatly water on the exhaust as mentioned above,had it checked at TDI North.Apart from making sure all the mounts are secure not a lot else can be done as far as i know.

Could be the muffler bearing, they use a stainless copper alloy replacement. You might have to use a large left handed crescent wrench to resize the new bearing to make it fit.

Make sure you use plenty of muffler lube when installing that bearing so it won't seize up next time.

With you mentioning the noise getting louder the more you accelerate, its not that odd feeling you get with the civics when both driven wheels start skipping on certain road surfaces, especially when the surface is wet?
I sometimes get it in mine and it shakes the car to bits, you feel it on motorways (although only briefly) aswell when there are uneven patches of road with water sitting in them.
Ive always thought the CTR rear suspension struggles to cope with the squat effect when accelerating especially when Vtec'ing, causing the front end to go very light.

Back