• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Sun RAM 12 Dyno

Is it just me of do them things seem to read mega high?

I was just browing the Dyno thread and there are standard cars pulling similar BHP as my car. So either my car is well and truly ruined or that thing lies :lol:

yeah they lie.

but a few dyno's here and there are differently calibrated.
If you really wanna compare 2 cars then take them to the exact same dyno. any other comparision is just pointless.

Or datalog your in gear times.

depends of what you are after though mate.

If you want to compare engines then a dyno is essential, unless you know the exact weight of the car.

if you wanna compare speed of the cars then yes datalog is definitely a good measure. ;)

Some people like their PUB FIGURES:lol: In other words, they fapping LIE:lol:

It doesn't really matter what the dyno reads as they should only really be used as a comparison like for like as Startrack said, or as a tuning tool. Some read higher than others, some lower, just the way it is:)

As long as the car goe's like **** of a stick on the road who cares,to most people dyno results are just pure pub ammo lol,every dyno ive been on read differently

As long as the car goe's like **** of a stick on the road who cares,to most people dyno results are just pure pub ammo lol,every dyno ive been on read differently

Oh I know mate, my car goes like stink.
Still looks just a bit shocking though when a standard car pulls the same BHP as mine which has a few mods on it...

Yea i know what your saying mate ,a friend of mine had his ep3 dynoed at one rolling road with good quality induction,exhaust system ,decat,mani etc and only got 198 bhp,got that freaked out and drove straight to another dyno spent another 40-50 quid on some runs and got 217 bhp :lol:

Paul at TDi North has a Sun Ram and using the supplied software which was developed by superchips IIRC did over-read to the same extent of a few other Rams I had been on around the country.

Knowing this and the limited information that you can log during a run the computer/data logging system was upgraded several years ago at a cost of many ££££'s and is reading very similar numbers now to more modern wheel on roller systems.

Basically all that is used is the dyno rollers and calibrated torque strain gauges. New sensors were installed on the rollers to measure speed and all this feeds back to the seperate computer.

I have heard people saying the Sun system hardware ie rollers are actually better than other dyno's that are manufactured smaller and lighter due to the larger diameter and weight of the rollers which give a smoother slower responce. How much of this is true and trying to market upgraded software for this system however I don't know.

Remember dyno's are a safe tuning tool where you can’t test effectively on the public road. If your doing work to your car always return to the same dyno as there does seem to be a wide variance between different dyno's around the country.

Back