• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Super Charger Comparison

Just a quick question,

If you take a Subaru, Evo or M3, all have nearly 300 BHP or more and well over 200lb ft of torque. Compare that to a CTR with a JRSC @ 9psi which will have roughly 280-290 BHP and roughly 180lb ft of torque (i think).

When reading post's about those who have supercharged CTR's they say that their CTR is easily capable of pulling away from these types of cars.
Why is this so, because the other cars have more BHP, more torque and 4WD (apart from M3).

Any answers would be great

Thanks guys

weight of the cars and transmission losses from a 4wd transmission will account for a lot of it :)

Al said:
transmission losses from a 4wd transmission will account for a lot of it :)

I'd go with that. Most figures for the Civic are 18 - 25% loss. Must be more for a 4WD

Maybe weight with the M3. I could keep ahead of an M3 covertible (not gaining on me) up an uphill motorway slip road with my 247 bhp @ fly wheel

No car will Pull Away people saying this are talking out there arse

BHP means a lot but a difference of say 50-100 BHP is barley noticable on the road you will need major power vs the other cars to actually pull away over any speeds

Cars as you say such as Evos Scoobys M3 etc etc will NOT get slaughtered by a Supercharged CTR by any means, even a normally aspirated decent 2L car will still keep up with a Supercharged Civic Ok the Supercharged car will pull away but not destroy it, there is pulling away from a car and pulling away, I really think that people need to get into context what they mean by pulling away :)

Yer I can flash M3 and Evos to get out the way on the motorway and keep up with them and overtake them when they boot it, but I wouldnt say they get destoyed by any means they still like within a car length or 2

Im sure you get what I mean

Thanks Tarticus

Hear a lot of different views and opinions on the forum re: SC CTR's.

I read one post on one of the forums which read something along the lines of 'not much under £50k - £60k will be able to pass or keep up with a 300 BHP SC CTR'!

I've never been in a SC CTR so i dont know how quick they are, just seemed quite a suprising statement, maybe its true i dont know.

Mez :)

Thanks Tarticus

Hear a lot of different views and opinions on the forum re: SC CTR's.

I read one post on one of the forums which read something along the lines of 'not much under £50k - £60k will be able to pass or keep up with a 300 BHP SC CTR'!

I've never been in a SC CTR so i dont know how quick they are, just seemed quite a suprising statement, maybe its true i dont know.

Mez [Smile]

Dont get me wrong I have shown up a lot of other so called big BHP car on the drag stip etc etc, but thats totally different, In real world driving yer a SC Civic is Fast I know I got one :) But it deffo aint the be all and end all of motoring.

You wont destroy or pull away or gain massive amounts on other cars with around 250 BHP

I would take what people say with a pinch of salt m8 just my advise.

Dont get me wrong the SC is a cracking conversion and makes a monster fast CTR bit its not and never will be a supercar killer :)

i have raced all 3....

The subuaru was a 261BHP version which was erm beaten easily from a rolling start up to some very high numbers.

I have raced several EVO's all could not keep up top end.

Now if you get someone who can actually drive an M3 (E46) then your in for some real trouble - there is little between them.

Now you may think that some superchargered CTR's are a tad faster than they actually are... going by ther 1/4 mile times..... but nearly everyone i have met either lowers there tyres pressures or strips there car right out ect ect before they go on a drag strip which isn't likley to be the same spec ride as when your on the road.

Last 1/4 mile I did i ran will full interior and normal tyres with the road going pressures and got a 13.6 @106MPH.

Hope that helps

mezmo said:
I read one post on one of the forums which read something along the lines of 'not much under £50k - £60k will be able to keep up

I posted a comment similar to this in relation to being on the track, rather than in a straight line, but there is more to it than just the supercharger, induction, cams, exhaust, suspension, tyres, brakes and having no interior all help.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the power is delivered. I would agree with Pete that generaly on the road there is not a lot in it. I think one of the good points of the JRSC conversion is the wide power and torque band, and the linear way it delivers that power. Much more ssuited to a FWD car than big turbo with heaps of torque. Which is why, even though I do not have any electronic aids, I get VERY little wheelspin compared to say an Astra VXR :D

For example Compare my low boost JRSC's CTR (4 psi and 275 Flyhp) with a DC2 (induction exhaust, hasnics as it happens) and up to 80 mph there is not a lot in it...infact up to 50 say I think he has the slight edge, the car is lighter and his smaller rims makes a difference..I am rolling on 18's. Over 80 and I 'Pull away'...this is not 'pulling away' in the same way that Reeses R32 drag car would pull away.....but I do pull away. The JRSC does give good top end increases.

Also comparing my car to a Subaru STI, which I also own (well it is the wifes new age, not ppp). The same happens. After 60 mph I also pull away. You see the trouble with the scooby is it just runs out of revs. Between 3.5k and 5.5 k it is ok but then the power just tails of. Wheras the JRSC pulls all the way to 8k plus. Feeding all that power from 2.5k revs upwards. This is of course not quite fair as I am comparing a car I have spend £5k on with a standard model...but then that cost 27k new anyhow lol....

As for the BMW M3, well all I know is I have a 'bit' more poke top end and can pull away, allbeit gradually.

But then again I merged onto the motorway behind a 360 Modena....and I may as well been walking :D

Some interesting notes there lads.

I'm of the opinion that a JRSC'd CTR is a weapon when set up well, brakes, suspension, diff, etc.
Any car can be made fast.
Like Pete, says you will not leave anything for dead around 250bhp,
but it is funny when an M3 driver expects to smoke you and they don't even the odd 911 :lol:

I believe Friendly kept pace with a GT3 rs at silverstone (correct me if I'm wrong)
A CSL M3 wasted me on the same day 8)

Most of the people I know own rs's cossies scoob evos turbo gti's ect and NONE are as fast in a straight line (rolling) as the Civic at the moment.
Mates describe my car as F*****g EVIL :twisted:

I'd recommend any body who owns a CTR to fit a JRSC/Rotrex cpl's turbo, etc.
I also don'y have any time for that "Honda intended it to be N/A, I'm a Purist shite, if your gonna tune it, don't p1ss around slap a blower on it :lol:

Any way you may have noticed that Im a bit of a freak so I'll shut up now :wink:

Tarticus said:
BHP means a lot but a difference of say 50-100 BHP is barley noticeable on the road you will need major power vs the other cars to actually pull away over any speeds

Are you serious? An extra 100hp will make a 'more than barley' noticable difference!? :?

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
Tarticus said:
BHP means a lot but a difference of say 50-100 BHP is barley noticable on the road you will need major power vs the other cars to actually pull away over any speeds

Are you serious? An extra 100hp will make a 'more than barley' difference!? :?

- Kevin.

Yeah, obviously there is more to do with it than bhp, try racing a standard RS turbo in a traffic light GP you'll have 75 bhp more in a standard CTR, win for sure, DESTROY, not really

P Reddy said:
moNoKnoT said:
Tarticus said:

Are you serious? An extra 100hp will make a 'more than barley' difference!? :?

- Kevin.

Yeah, obviously there is more to do with it than bhp, try racing a standard RS turbo in a traffic light GP you'll have 75 bhp more in a standard CTR, win for sure, DESTROY, not really

Not really a post about traffic light GP though, its about pulling away from bigger cars....and you will do that with a jrsc :p

- Kevin.

Not really a post about traffic light GP though, its about pulling away from bigger cars....and you will do that with a jrsc [Razz]

Yer pull away slightly but not DESTROY thats the point in question

You will not leave it for dead etc etc you get the point

Ok this has been interesting reading.

I have a question for all you guys running a JRSC on the CTR. After the several thousands you have spent to get your cars charged and other bits like LSD & headers etc...

Is it really worth spending the extra money?

Funky said:
Ok this has been interesting reading.

I have a question for all you guys running a JRSC on the CTR. After the several thousands you have spent to get your cars charged and other bits like LSD & headers etc...

Is it really worth spending the extra money?

Yes :wink:

Thanks for all your reply's,

Did make some really interesting reading, got my car booked in at CPL for some bits and bobs in a couple of weeks, once they're on JRSC will be next on the menu :p

Here's one last question, once the supercharger has been put on is it essential to fit a LSD? I've heard some say its only really needed if your gonna do track days (Which im not). I wouldn't mind taking it to the pod though.

I think I remember reading Typy (i think thats right) said his best pod times were achieved without the use of a LSD (correct me if im wrong).

Thanks again :D

mezmo said:
Thanks for all your reply's,

Did make some really interesting reading, got my car booked in at CPL for some bits and bobs in a couple of weeks, once they're on JRSC will be next on the menu :p

Here's one last question, once the supercharger has been put on is it essential to fit a LSD? I've heard some say its only really needed if your gonna do track days (Which im not). I wouldn't mind taking it to the pod though.

I think I remember reading Typy (i think thats right) said his best pod times were achieved without the use of a LSD (correct me if im wrong).

Thanks again :D

People will recommend an LSD whether you have a charger or not ;)

- Kevin.

Back