• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Supercharged Ep3

Has anyone got experience of one? Weighing up where I want to go with the car, would like to know what sort of mpg to expect, any potential running issues etc?
Comments welcome :)

23 mpg average it seems when not hooning it everywhere, at least it's what the guys over at PH report.

Btw, I'd just go turbo if I was you, you ll have better economy and more power when boost kicks in than a SC. That said, whichever FI way you go, the supporting mods needed (intake, exhaust, ECU, LSD, map) are just not worth the cost on such an old car these days, at least imo.

But here is a 500bhp SC EP3 if you wanted to have a look at the mod list: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2003-HON...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edit: check this out https://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?86043-Supercharged-ep3

Last edited by a moderator:
MPG shouldn't be an issue if you have the bypass fitted, meaning part throttle remains the same and charger only comes in on WOT

I've probably worded it wrong, I'd sell mine and buy one already done. That said 23mpg would probably annoy me, I had an ST that averaged 21mpg and used to cost me £65 a week on fuel.

If I decide to mod mine it'll be kept n/a. I don't want to decat, would it be worth changing the exhaust, intake mani and throttle body with a K100 remap? Or should I not bother?

MPG shouldn't be an issue if you have the bypass fitted, meaning part throttle remains the same and charger only comes in on WOT

Does the charger have some sort of clutch in it to disengage?

If not then surely it would constantly be being driven and sapping power? Even if the boost is bled away on a bypass.

If I decide to mod mine it'll be kept n/a. I don't want to decat, would it be worth changing the exhaust, intake mani and throttle body with a K100 remap? Or should I not bother?

Breathing mods and K100 is the most I'd do to a EP3 too, and it's actually what I am eventually planning to do. The problem is the gains without a decat mani are not as good, but just like you I don't want to get rid of the cat either :/

There was a lovely Turbo EP3 for sale a few weeks ago for about the 7k mark, tons of cash spent on it and looked great. Shame it was fully stripped out though.

I could go exhaust, induction and remap or I could add intake mani and throttle body, but I don't know if that's worth doing if I'm not sticking a header on.

Saw that, all good but the mileage is a bit much for me. Exhaust and k100 remapped will set me back around £1,200. Hmmm.

Does the charger have some sort of clutch in it to disengage?

If not then surely it would constantly be being driven and sapping power? Even if the boost is bled away on a bypass.

Depends. All of them are constantly driven, Roots type chargers like the old Jacksons sap quite a lot. Newer centris and twin-screw designs, hardly anything.

Have a read through my build thread. I wrote a lot about my Rotrex before I went turbo.

Honest opinion, if you're thinking of going FI, go turbo. In my opinion it's the better option.

Saw that, all good but the mileage is a bit much for me. Exhaust and k100 remapped will set me back around £1,200. Hmmm.

True but the work carried out is pretty extensive, I think the mileage is ok with that in mind.

But yes for £1200 that's a good way to go and the car will definitely be perkier and more eager.

Back