• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Surprised by my MPG!

I bought a Civic Type R (EP3) a few weeks back and have now calculated the mpg on £50 (37 litres/8 gallons) of petrol. I do 40 miles a day and I'd say 80% of that journey is on 60mph limits, where you can comfortably do that speed. It's came out at 37 mpg which has really pleased me. Obviously I don't thrash the thing much during my commute but I think it's excellent from a car you can really spank when the need comes. I know different generations of engine in the Civic, Accord and Integra will be different but does anyone else get this kind of figure? The engine really does have two characters!

thats good for a type R i would say i put about £50-55 in and get 230-270 miles , 270 being the most ive ever had from a tank.

Well I need to fill it again this morning so I'll make an exact note of all the figures and double check! But before I did the calculation I was thinking it seems bloody good!

I've done 180 odd miles on APPROXIMATELY half a tank. Some of you may think I am talking porkies. It was the most boring journey as it was all motorway at 55mph in the middle of the night. It was a voluntary full saving exercise en route to Cornwall, just to see what I could achieve.

Indeed! I filled 'er up again at Taunton and continued. Has anyone ever claimed to have had 400 miles from a tank?

Watch that needle drop for the second half though !

I had that, spent 8hours on the motorway the other weekend, managed a decent mileage for the first half tank (about 200miles), second half just dropped.

Covered 376miles on 47.5l of fuel (£57.40) worked out at 36mpg. Shame I drove like a cnut around town for the first 5miles on a full tank.

400 miles on a tank has got to be do-able! Even if it requires drafting some trucks for a bit. (At a safe stopping distance of course and remaining visible in the drivers mirrors so he can see you...) ;-)

Oh easily, I would say I averaged 70mph. That was with some 50mph average speed checks, and some heavy foot action for over taking. If I sat at 65mph I think the car would do it. :lol: at the drafting in some trucks. Problem is they're limited to 52-55mph so it would take an absolute age to cover that many miles.

Like I said, took me 8 hours due to traffic. To cover 400 miles would easily be 6.5 hours driving.

Ah not just me then! When I was talking about getting a Type R and saying I was hoping to get 35mpg out if it I was laughed at! By people that don't have Type Rs though...

It'd be hard enough getting 400 miles. I regularly got 550-600km from
my DC5 when I brimmed the tank to playing petrol light Russian roulette. Got 610 once over a week schools were out so no traffic in town once I got off the motorway. Some extreme granny driving that week.

Well technically I had 2.5l of fuel left, so that would've worked out to another 19miles making it 395miles total. If I was careful and had less town driving, I think 400 would've been achievable.

Back