• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Suspension choice help

I need some help and some input from some people please....

I was going to get myself some Tein Supersteet very soon, but I suddenly had a change of mind, this in itself is a rare thing to happen to me because im a very impulsive person.
The situation is, as a few of you know, a couple of years ago I had a big car crash which to cut a long story short left me with two legs full of metal and lots of pain constanly. So that has made me have a change of heart over my suspension choice. I want to improve the standard suspension, but I fear Superstreets will just make my legs hurt more because of the harder ride etc and as I use my CTR daily, will be no good for me. So then I thought about just uprating the springs to say Tein S-tech, but I dont think it will be as much of an improvment as I want really. So ive been looking at the Tein Basic coilover but I cant really find much info on people using them because not many people it looks like have actually bought them.
So as you can see im in a bit of a catch 22 situation. I want uprated suspension, but I still need comfort due to my leg situation........
Has anyone on here used the basic coilover and is it better than just uprating the springs? ive tried to find this info out but cant really find the info im after
OR
Has anyone else got a sugestion for me to look into that they feel might be able to help me out :confused:
Cheers in advance :p

I can take you for a spin in mine just on Eibach springs so you can see what they are like.

Or the other option is the Eibach coilovers which I will be upgrading to sometime in the future.

I can take you for a spin in mine just on Eibach springs so you can see what they are like.

Or the other option is the Eibach coilovers which I will be upgrading to sometime in the future.

Yeah thanks for the offer... Im just worried about how hard the full coilovers are going to be, they will rattle me around and start to hurt my legs, but I also want the best gains possible without this happening and would really like more than just uprated springs if that makes sense :confused:

If you want comfort on the road and better handling I would forget about coilovers and get some Koni shocks. Damping can be adjusted from softer than standard to rock hard with the twist of a knob. Also get yourself a JDM rear anti roll bar & strut brace to compliment them.

If you were local I'd take you out for a spin in mine so you could see what they are like.

If you want comfort on the road and better handling I would forget about coilovers and get some Koni shocks. Damping can be adjusted from softer than standard to rock hard with the twist of a knob. Also get yourself a JDM rear anti roll bar & strut brace to compliment them.

If you were local I'd take you out for a spin in mine so you could see what they are like.

Oh yeah I forgot you were running these, cos this is something else I thought of.... Ive already got JDM ARB and front and rear struts. Do you get on well with them and what springs are you using?

I'm using Apex progressive springs as Koni dont make any springs for the CTR. I'm very pleased with them, at first I had them on full soft which was softer than stock, it was very comfortable, almost like driving a "normal" car but the handling wasn't what I wanted. Now I have them at half a turn from full soft, this makes them slightly firmer than standard, which is just right for me. The car is still comfortable, I have no problems with speed bumps and on a nice twisty road I can have plenty of fun.

Why not come to the next midlands meet if you want a ride to see what they are like?

You could chat to Powerstation about AST coilovers as they have access to custom spring rates and can valve the dampers to suit so you should be able to get a better set-up with retaining comfort, if not improving it.

http://www.powerstation.org.uk/

http://www.astsuspensionuk.com/

You won't go wrong with the AST's either as far as quality and service goes, some of the best i've seen at still affordable prices.

Im using the tein basic coilovers on my CTR and they are not comfortable. I have lowered the car on them and the ride is very harsh.
As you know you cannot adjust the damping only ride height so the lower you go the harsher the ride.
I cannot comment on if they improve handling etc as they were on the car when i bought them sorry.
I went a ride in my mate bonga dogs ctr with standard suspension and his is alot softer , when i go over a big pot hole it feels like my dash is coming onto my knee.
So for someone in your situation i wouldn't recommend them, id go for something with adjustable damping to. ;)

Hope that helps???

He fella if you can get to me at any point, or at a meet we can get to or something you are welcome to try my car with the AST's and see what you think. They are less crashy than others I have experienced and as Nick said they will set it up to how you want.

My car is a little stiffer of course now the cage is in but I think you could get the idea.

1st of all, thanks for all your advice and thanks Lottie,Funky and G for offers of a spin out in your cars to see how I get on. Its great being part of the best car forum/owners club :D

Ive done alot of thinking today and its been a hard trying to decide what to do :confused: but I phoned Tom at TGM this afternnon and had a chat with him, i didnt relise that he has basically the same injuries as me so knew where I was coming from so that was handy. What im going to do is just go with a Eibach spring kit and fast road set up to start off with and see how I get on, then, in summer next year, decide if im going to go with some uprated shocks Koni or Bilstein, or even just stay with the springs and fit a LSD. Also when I fit the springs I shall also fit some goodridges. Hopefully this will keep me happy for the time being.

Those AST do look nice, but £1000 is a big risk if they do start to hurt my legs after a while lol

1st of all, thanks for all your advice and thanks Lottie,Funky and G for offers of a spin out in your cars to see how I get on. Its great being part of the best car forum/owners club :D

Ive done alot of thinking today and its been a hard trying to decide what to do :confused: but I phoned Tom at TGM this afternnon and had a chat with him, i didnt relise that he has basically the same injuries as me so knew where I was coming from so that was handy. What im going to do is just go with a Eibach spring kit and fast road set up to start off with and see how I get on, then, in summer next year, decide if im going to go with some uprated shocks Koni or Bilstein, or even just stay with the springs and fit a LSD. Also when I fit the springs I shall also fit some goodridges. Hopefully this will keep me happy for the time being.

Those AST do look nice, but £1000 is a big risk if they do start to hurt my legs after a while lol

No worries, Ive been really happy with the springs :D

Sounds like a plan fella. Of course the offer is an open ended one.

I've just ordered with Tom at TGM a nice set of Eibach Pro kit springs and some Eibach rear lower control arms in shiny silver :p Fast road set up is booked for 19th December. Springs will be fitted next weekend yippee :twisted:

Shame I've only just spotted this thread, Tom's been out in my AST'd Civic and was very pleased with them, absolutely spot on in his opinion.

However, the bits you've ordered are a damn sight cheaper!

I've just ordered with Tom at TGM a nice set of Eibach Pro kit springs and some Eibach rear lower control arms in shiny silver :p Fast road set up is booked for 19th December. Springs will be fitted next weekend yippee :twisted:

I had this and a J's front strut fitted by Tom.

Very happy with it :D

Shame I've only just spotted this thread, Tom's been out in my AST'd Civic and was very pleased with them, absolutely spot on in his opinion.

However, the bits you've ordered are a damn sight cheaper!

Im going to use this set up for a while and see how my legs hold up, if there ok then I will start upraging it some more :p I didnt want to spend lots now only to find in a months time its no good for me and I have to rip it all off again lol

Back