• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

DC2 DB8 DC5 Tax Bands - Are you paying too much?

Hi All

I'm new to this forum and i am just about to pick up my first type R (a DC5).

I have done a little research and DC5's fall into three different tax bands,

1) Registered as PLG, no emission levels recorded on Registration Certificate = cheapest TAX currently £185 (12 months) rising to £190 in March 2009.

2) Registered using later model report stating CO2 emissions of 223g/km = currently Band F £210 (12 months), changing to Band K and rising on the 13th March 2009 to £215, then to £245 in March 2010.

3) Registered using early model report stating CO2 emissions of 234g/km = currently Band G £400 (12 months), changing to Band L and rising on the 13th March 2009 to £415, then to £425 in March 2010.

Someone on a different forum claims to have managed to get the DVLA to change the registration document so that they are in the lower tax band rather then the high one.

Has any one on here managed to do this? or do you have any info about your own DC5 tax and/or proving the emissions of a DC5.

Mine will be in the higher band :evil: so i am on a mission to get it changed and i am happy to share my progress.

Thanks, Liam.

I made sure mine was going to be PLG before I bought it.

The higher tax banded cars will be a pig to sell on in the near future.

The higher tax banded cars will be a pig to sell on in the near future

They will be difficult, i looked at getting an S2000 earlier this year, noticed the tax for post 2001 models was going to be £425 from 2010:eek:

That did put me off.

I looked into getting my FD2 changed from band G back to band F, i wrote to the dvla to see how it could be done.

There are costs involved, including admin charges and VOSA charges for them to retest it. I can't remeber how much it was but i'm sure it was quite high.

Before you go through all this get an emisions check at a garage to see what your car is actually putting out to make sure you can get it reclassified.

The tax bandings are all done on age. if the car was registered 2001 or before it will fall under the £185 tax bracket. Betweemn 2001 and 2003 will be band F and post 2003 will fit into band G so try and get an older model if you want to save some cash. Doubt very much the DVLA would change it unless the years don't fit with the banding.

The tax bandings are all done on age. if the car was registered 2001 or before it will fall under the £185 tax bracket. Betweemn 2001 and 2003 will be band F and post 2003 will fit into band G so try and get an older model if you want to save some cash. Doubt very much the DVLA would change it unless the years don't fit with the banding.

Mine is a '52' and in the PLG group;)

This is not entirely true.

My old 2001 was in the high bracket. It is entirely down to how it went through SVA/registration and which model report was used. The big problem in my view is the car is registered as a 2001 car for the plate and a 2008 (in my case) car for the tax because that's when it was imported.

The PLG cars are only in that category on a technicality which some importers are aware of and some aren't. When my car was first registered it was even put in the PLG band but the DVLA actually wrote to the dealer I bought from and demanded the extra money to increase the tax to the 'correct bracket' which in their opinion was the 400+. IIRC the £300 ish group is from early 2002 cars onwards and requires a specific ECU number before the DVLA will consider changing it.

Basically they're w@nkers and I gave up chasing all the crap.

Thats not true, then differences are due to different emmissions on the model reports regarding the DC5.

However, this has now all changed I believe so I'm not sure how its going to work out now.

Back