• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TDi North's 2011 Challenger

I've just seen on the minitorque forum that the new tyre supplier for Time Attack in 2009 is Pirelli. Which is OK becuase we wanted new tyres, however they don't appear to offer a 17" fitment.

Which could be be a bit of an issue.

Seano

I've just seen on the minitorque forum that the new tyre supplier for Time Attack in 2009 is Pirelli. Which is OK becuase we wanted new tyres, however they don't appear to offer a 17" fitment.

Which could be be a bit of an issue.

Seano

2009? Does the CTR come with a Flux Capacitor?

Whoops! But I am getting very old.

Or perhaps I was in shock at the entry fees for this year

Club Class is £1860.83 plus vat

OHW is £282.50 plus vat

There is a Season Budget Competitor Payment

Payment 1 40% 744.33 + Vat by 14/02/2011
Payment 2 60% 1116.50 + Vat by 01/05/2011

Seano

If you work out the price per round its still bad, but not as bad - about fifty quid more. Then we have to buy new Pirelli's - are you interested in the R888's Julian ?(215/45/17)

Seano

If you work out the price per round its still bad, but not as bad - about fifty quid more. Then we have to buy new Pirelli's - are you interested in the R888's Julian ?(215/45/17)

Seano

I managed to pick up a cheap set of R888's off ebay Sean, still looking for a set of wheels though if you decide to sell the OZ's? Or are you using those again this year?

Depends on what Pirelli sizes are going to be offered - from Startline Al "Don't panic guys, you know we'll look after you. The tyres will be road based, but in a Corse version, the reason for this move is the wide range and availability, they were tested back to back with 888 at Brands and came out well".

I believe that Andy Barnes found them to be about a second quicker back to back with the R888's and didn't go off in the way that the R888 does.

But it kinda of screws up my thinking and work done on the front end until they finalise this.

Seano

Seano

I am if hes not! lol

The swap to Pirelli is proving to be 'challenging' and Pirelli are still trying to decide which tyre to use (I believe there are 3 options). For what its worth, apparently The "Gob Stopper" evo apparently lapped over a second quicker on Pirelli "Zero"'s than R888's in back to back testing - I find that very hard to believe! Sounds like they are planning to either expand the Trofeo range or putting a fancy compound in a Corsa thread pattern on a Zero carcase

We should know in about 3 weeks - but I wouldn't want to get shut of the R888 until we have the Pirelli in our hands. If something goes wrong in producing the new tyres, we will need something for the Oulton round.

Latest news is that Pirelli are going to mark up in their yellow both their name and Time Attack on the sidewalls- which should look snazzy. But sadly some entrants are really in the doody as their is no way that Pireeli can make the tyres in their sizes some of them down to 13"

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Well she sounds good and good progress is being made. She has a natty new trick with the front lights that should be good for intimidating people out of the way for a hot lap. Put the headlights and the projectors go on - flick on to high beam and mains come on and projectors go off. Do it quickly and it looks like an unmarked Police car as the lights dance from side to side - how ace is that (the effects of preface lift loom in a facelift car). Windscreen wipers work too now. Hopefully finish off the hydraulics on Friday and she's ready to be run in.

Roll on Oulton.

Seano

Good stuff Sean.

How many miles do you have to run it in for?

On a side note i've just seen the tyre info, holy sh1t you are on road tyres this season!:eek::evil:

Pirelli P Zero Nero you will absolutely destroy those on track surely. I suppose the upside is they are cheap compared to R888.

Glen has said for 17's are £95 + VAT and are the cheapest available but camskill have them for £93.30 including VAT?

I know he has said those are as good as 888 on track but not a chance in my opinion, that is a road tyre not a track tyre?

I think the tyre wear rate and managing the tyres will be key to being successful.

If Glen says they are quicker than R888's i have to believe him - but we are going to have to work much harder to manage them. I'm not sure of the difference between Rosso and Nero and what compounds are being offered.

Should be 1000 miles, but I reckon 500 should do on asda chip oil.

Seano

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Julian - you still after some some OZ rims?

As far as I can see this is mental. To be competitive with Bo we are going to have to use rubber at least as good as him and his VXR.

We can't do that on 17's so I think we will end up going to 225/40/18 PZero which is a bugger because we have built the front up with idea of going 235/40 on 17. Its going to be as tight as a gnats chuff up there and I don't really want to invert the track rod ends.

Just when I thought things were going to be reasonably smooth for start of this year. Still I finally got the brake lines finished off today.

Seano

Argh yeah i would have been, i just bought a set of Rota Torques a few weeks ago! Wish i would have held on now!:(

I can't believe TA are using different tyres for different sizes, how is that fair as you are all on different tyres!:confused::evil:

Why don't you run a 235/45/17 mate? Plenty of room and i presume thats the size Bo will be using. I have 235/40/17 on mine with lots of room left, i think you are running similar camber to mine? -3.5 up front, -2.5 rear. With a 10mm spacer so you are at ET38.

If you want to try it my Advans are off the car at the mo so you could stick them on yours and check for clearance.

I would hold on though for a bit and see what TA say over this tyre issue. Looks like they have a big problem on their hands and i can see them changing things again.

Its coming to a head now Julian. All but 1 of the Pro teams have withdrawn at the thought of running their cars on road tyres - its just too dangerous. I don't blame them, its mad to send out £250K Evo @ 800BHP on such a tyre.

I don't fancy Dave playing with Spirit @ 500 on a road tyre either - its doesn't have to be his fault for someone else too take him off when their tyres let go.

I've suggested we go back to Camskill for R888's.

235/45/17 will only be a Rosso not a Zero - theres a huge difference in performance and we are not interested in doing less than a win and Bo will be ruuning a Zero. But going to the Zero in an 18 will cost us around 3K all in for both sets.

Seano

I have used P-Zero Nero's before great road tyre but nothing compared to the grip levels offered by R888. Glen send me over the regs for this year a month ago, but my car isnt even back yet so ive not got any time to test etc or get a cage. Maybe a one race try for me this year, but only if they use R888's.

I don't think they will ever go back to R888's now Toyo have pulled out of motorsport.

I've just read a 25 page epic thread on the mlr about the tyre situation.

Imagine running these Pireli's on a day like we had a Brands last year, they will literally melt after a couple of laps with road going tread blocks.

I can't blame the pro boys refusing to run on them, with that amount of power there could be some serious damage.:(

Yeah true. Cant bring a road tyre into a motorsport, its just not right.

TA need to see if Yoko or Dunlop can help, i remember Pirelli doing a none road legal semi slick tyre but not seen them around for a couple of years now.

Back