• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 The 100k mile FK2!

My FK2 recently hit 100k miles! I've had it 4 years and its been great, kept up with the maintenance schedule with Greenacre Honda.
At this mileage though the suspension is feeling tired and I want new shock absorbers but, OEM shocks are not cheap so before I bite the bullet are there any other options? Any experiences of owners who changed for coilovers and what that was like please?

Hi, I've just read your posting and having only 26000 miles in my fk2 I can't offer any advice on coilovers and I don't know of any fk2 owner that has changed to them. New shock absorbers come in at around £600 a corner, however I'm sure you will know that they are active and are constantly changing to road conditions which to me is a big point of the handling of the fk2. There are two company's who are selling new fk2 shock absorbers One is Cox Honda which is at Morecambe who are extremely competitive and are online. If you quote your membership details of Type R Owners Cox give 5% discount which isn't a lot but it helps.Alternatively they are very helpful and you may to do a deal with them considering the overall cost.
The other company I'm thinking of is Tegiwa imports They also sell fk2 shock absorbers and too you might be able to do a deal with them.
Just out of interest , with your car just covered 100000 miles with having your car serviced regularly have you had any carbon build up on the inlet valves of your fk2 ? I read online that the Honda has a very good pcv system and it might be a case of how the timing is set up. I wanted to ask because I've not read one case of any carbon build up on an fk2.
Regards Fred.

Not an FK2 owner but Cox Motor parts are excellent, I've used them numerous times for my EP3 and even an old Jazz can't recommend them enough and even if they don't show the part on their site they are always happy to help and source what you need, top company.

As for coil overs I have heard of some using KW and Ohlins but both are expensive, suppose weigh up the costs on OEM refurb Vs aftermarket. With the aftermarket ones you also require a cancellor for the adaptive damper which adds to the cost.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Hi, I've just read your posting and having only 26000 miles in my fk2 I can't offer any advice on coilovers and I don't know of any fk2 owner that has changed to them. New shock absorbers come in at around £600 a corner, however I'm sure you will know that they are active and are constantly changing to road conditions which to me is a big point of the handling of the fk2. There are two company's who are selling new fk2 shock absorbers One is Cox Honda which is at Morecambe who are extremely competitive and are online. If you quote your membership details of Type R Owners Cox give 5% discount which isn't a lot but it helps.Alternatively they are very helpful and you may to do a deal with them considering the overall cost.
The other company I'm thinking of is Tegiwa imports They also sell fk2 shock absorbers and too you might be able to do a deal with them.
Just out of interest , with your car just covered 100000 miles with having your car serviced regularly have you had any carbon build up on the inlet valves of your fk2 ? I read online that the Honda has a very good pcv system and it might be a case of how the timing is set up. I wanted to ask because I've not read one case of any carbon build up on an fk2.
Regards Fred.
Thanks, I know Cox well but if I do get them done it will be done by my usual Honda main dealer as they have looked after me well.
I've had the valve clearances done 3 times in my ownership and oil changes every 10k miles (Honda branded & Castrol oil) & plugs done twice, owned since 40k miles bought in 2019. All work been done by Honda. Car has always been run on Tesco Momentum and has been remapped for about 40k miles peak boost 1.7 bar, and I've not been easy on it. Absolutely zero carbon build up on the inlet valves I asked for this to be checked when the chain and valve clearances were last done. On the original clutch and its still going strong even with the map!
I was getting a tiny bit of a rattle from the chain at startup if the car had been left for a few days but after the new chain it went away completely.
It's only ever let me down once and that was due to a cracked plastic housing where the upper coolant hose attaches to the engine, which led to a coolant loss on the motorway, happened in winter and I felt the heaters go cold so managed to stop before the car really overheated and warped the head. Other than that this car has really soaked up the miles, I took my EP3 to 230k miles before I upgraded to an FK2 and I plan on taking this to 200k too! Highest mileage FK2 FTW! I'm already on 102k...
It's never consumed any oil and never smoked on startup or on full chat, previous 1st owner tracked the car too! Im the second owner.
Its my rear shocks that feel tired so was debating to just get all 4 done at the same time Honda say they are fine yet, and the car will throw an error if there's a problem with the suspension. I probably will just stick with OEM I reckon.

Thanks, I know Cox well but if I do get them done it will be done by my usual Honda main dealer as they have looked after me well.
I've had the valve clearances done 3 times in my ownership and oil changes every 10k miles (Honda branded & Castrol oil) & plugs done twice, owned since 40k miles bought in 2019. All work been done by Honda. Car has always been run on Tesco Momentum and has been remapped for about 40k miles peak boost 1.7 bar, and I've not been easy on it. Absolutely zero carbon build up on the inlet valves I asked for this to be checked when the chain and valve clearances were last done. On the original clutch and its still going strong even with the map!
I was getting a tiny bit of a rattle from the chain at startup if the car had been left for a few days but after the new chain it went away completely.
It's only ever let me down once and that was due to a cracked plastic housing where the upper coolant hose attaches to the engine, which led to a coolant loss on the motorway, happened in winter and I felt the heaters go cold so managed to stop before the car really overheated and warped the head. Other than that this car has really soaked up the miles, I took my EP3 to 230k miles before I upgraded to an FK2 and I plan on taking this to 200k too! Highest mileage FK2 FTW! I'm already on 102k...
It's never consumed any oil and never smoked on startup or on full chat, previous 1st owner tracked the car too! Im the second owner.
Its my rear shocks that feel tired so was debating to just get all 4 done at the same time Honda say they are fine yet, and the car will throw an error if there's a problem with the suspension. I probably will just stick with OEM I reckon.
I think every fk2 owner should read this as this is really good news and testament to Honda the car reliability and it's engine. It also shows that Honda have got it bang on when it comes to having no carbon build up on the inlet valves as it's an issue with other makes of car. I hope you get the suspension sorted and continue to enjoy your fk2 for many years to come.
Regards Fred.

I think it's the same as most things, look after it, don't abuse it and it will last a long time.

Not an FK2 owner but Cox Motor parts are excellent, I've used them numerous times for my EP3 and even an old Jazz can't recommend them enough and even if they don't show the part on their site they are always happy to help and source what you need, top company.

As for coil overs I have heard of some using KW and Ohlins but both are expensive, suppose weigh up the costs on OEM refurb Vs aftermarket. With the aftermarket ones you also require a cancellor for the adaptive damper which adds to the cost.

Thanks, the coilovers I seen that are adaptive from Ohlins are nearly £5k! Makes the OEM ones look cheap haha! Didn't want to lose the 2 mode Dampers so I can have a little bit of comfort on those

Are your sure it's the shocks.
IIRC the FK2 has a beam axle like the FN2 - could it just be knackered bushes?

Perhaps fitting some polybushes might be the answer?

Are your sure it's the shocks.
IIRC the FK2 has a beam axle like the FN2 - could it just be knackered bushes?

Perhaps fitting some polybushes might be the answer?
Problem has been solved thanks! Someone else mentioned the rear beam to chassis bushes to me too so went with the same set you linked. Disappointed Honda would only sell me a complete rear beam for over £1400! They don't supply the bushes separately, anyway front and rear bushes fitted plus a exhaust gasket and front ball joints. The sort of floaty feeling I was getting from the rear end is completely gone. One of the rear bushes was cracked all the way around for info.
Mileage check : 104k!

Really glad to hear you got the problem sorted. But it's I suppose typical that you can't just buy the bushes. Maybe a good marketing opportunity for someone to have such bushes manufactured and sell them to owners of the fk2 as it's mileage approaches the 100000 mark.
Regards Fred.

My FK2 recently hit 100k miles! I've had it 4 years and its been great, kept up with the maintenance schedule with Greenacre Honda.
At this mileage though the suspension is feeling tired and I want new shock absorbers but, OEM shocks are not cheap so before I bite the bullet are there any other options? Any experiences of owners who changed for coilovers and what that was like please?
Wow 100k in 4 years 25k in a year,you've probably been viewing all over the country

I went for OEM shocks, got them from Tegiwa as they were cheaper than Honday. ( my Right hand side shock had a leak at 50k miles ) . I do a fair amount of trackdays so I use the kerbs a bit so that prob didn't help things. Glad the car is holding up for ya buddy.

Back