• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Things haven't gone quite how I expected this evening :o

glen

Hi-Def Wizard
I know this post should be in the induction kit section, but I thought I'd give you all a laugh first ;-)

as some of you may or may not know, I have an AEM V2 induction kit. Great as they are, they do have one really annoying fault.

The top of the induction tube sits a little bit higher than the standard airbox. This is a bit of a problem as there is a cable which sit right on top of it. Now, the standard airbox is made of plastic so it keeps pretty cool when driving hard. The AEM on the other hand is made of metal and gets VERY hot. This in turn ever so slightly melts the insulation on the cable creating small black marks on the induction kit.

I have tried everything I can to move the cable but it wont.

So......this evening when I got home from work, I decided to give it a good clean. Now let me tell you, melted plastic is a BASTID to get off. I tried everything in the kitchen cupboard (and I mean everything which I'll go into in a minute). I grabed my cloths and tried autoglym, megs, autosol, polish, jif, soap everything I could think of and was scrubbing like a tw@t. The weather in Lincoln was muggy so I had a right sweat on. I always get a bit mardy when I'm hot and this was no exception. Had a little tiff with the mrs and the neighbours got a gob full when for the hundreth time I heard the line "you spend more time with that car than you do with Sarah"

anyway, enough was enough.......I was in that mood where "NOTHING was going to get the better of me"

so back into the kitchen I went. Two minutes later I came back out armed with "OVEN CLEANER"

I though RIGHT! I'll move that f*ckin black mark if it kills me.

So I ever so gently sprayed a little oven cleaner on. I waited only a few seconds before wiping it off. I tell you what lads, this stuff is WONDERFUL not only did it remove the black mark but the entire silver paint OOPS!

We'll I'm not going back now, I've started so I'll finish.

Back into the house to grab my tool kit, I took the induction kit out and BLASTED it FULL of oven cleaner. I left it a good half an hour then sprayed it with water to rinse and clean.

Finally dried, polished and protected it with megs.

so..

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, INTRODUCING THE WORLDS FIRST BLACK AEM V2 INDUCTION KIT FOR THE EP3

da da da dum da daaaaaaa..........

aem.jpg

Have to say, I'm well inpressed. Just hope it doesn't fall to pieces now
Please note that the marks you can see on the photo are reflections. This thing looks like NEW. In fact, better than new!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you sure the layer you removed is not some form of heat reppellant?

I very much doubt the paint does much of anything to be honest. I can't see it getting hotter because it's black :?

are u guys pulling my leg :lol:

glen8 said:
I very much doubt the paint does much of anything to be honest. I can't see it getting hotter because it's black :?

I wouldn't have thought it will make a difference tbh.. Looks spot on that :smt023

dotty said:
glen8 said:

I wouldn't have thought it will make a difference tbh.. Looks spot on that :smt023

Thanks mate, it looks bl00dy awesome in the engine bay. Will have to get a photo later. Really happy with it.
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get some tubing from? I'm thinking about putting in a direct feed from the lower grill to the cone.

Cheers

Woke up thinking about this thread this morning. Don't know why! :shock:

If the metal of pipe on the V2 gets that hot that it can melt the plastic surrounding the cable, what's that hot pipe doing to all the lovely cool air that it is trying to suck in?!?!

I know the cone is not in the best place anyway but surely the pipe getting hot is only going to make things worse? :confused:

:lol: I remember that story

The follow up was even better :eek:

a few weeks later I decided to spray paint the V2 Type-R red as I thought it would look even better and go really well inside the engine bay :cool:

Nipped down to Halfords and spent £20 on spray paints, cleaning cloths etc etc etc.

It was middle of summer so nice and hot plus I had the weekend off work.

Got up early in the morning, removed the induction kit and gave it a good rub down with the cleaning cloths.

I then carefully balanced it on something and sat it on some newspapers in the middle of the garden. First I gave it a very thin covering with the primer and left to dry. Two hours later and a few bottles of beer I went out to check and noticed all those farkin thunder flys had landed on it :mad:

Luckily I had to sand it down anyway, but before spraying the red paint on I moved it into the shed. Gave it a coat of red and then left to dry.

When I came back I noticed a damn run in the paint but thought it would easily sand down. Unfortunately for some weird reason the paint hadn't fully dried so when I sanded it down I made a right mess :eek:

BACK TO THE START

another trip to halfords for some paint stripper (which I burnt my arm with) and I took it back down to the metal.

Put the base coat on again and then left in the shed to dry..AGAIN (everything in the shed at this point was red and white step ladders, lawn mower, patio furniture, tool box :lol::lol:

I decided to leave it that day and carry on in the morning

Sunday morniing came and I took the induction kit out to sand down ready for spraying a second time

WHAT HAPPEND??? I only went and dropped the tw*t on the paving slabs bending the opening where the cone attaches on :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: could I fix it? could I f*ck

2 days and £200 WASTED :evil:

The moral of the story? buy a Gruppe M (which I did the next day) :cool:

p.s. I'll see if I can find the original pic but think it's long gone now

Back