• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Think I got ripped off HELP please.

I bought a set of Avon ZZ3's last week, I think they're good for the price from camskill. I set off into town this afternoon & car drifted to one side. I pulled over & a big screw in my O/S front tyre, pancake flat. Looked like someone placed it under on purpose. Anyway I grabbed my power pack from the boot & proceeded to fill with air to get me to a garage. I'd only gone a few hundred yards. As air was leaking out I decided to go to Crap fit which Charlie browns has taken over as it was close. My usual tyre man is based in another town a fair few miles away.
The lad told me they wouldn't tyre weld because of the score line which the rim pressed into the tyre wall. Now I did notice this mark straight away but it's not even 0.5 mm deep! I understand the strict importance of safety & all that but come on, I can't see the tyre blowing out because of a slight score line when there's thousands of people driving around with bald re moulds.
I didn't want to ride around with a space saver & they didn't have another ZZ3 in stock 'surprise' so I ended having a ghey arrowspeed fitted which spins on dry tarmac with a little bit of throttle.
Do you think I should go to my usual tyre guy for a second opinion to see if I can get my new zz3 plugged or not waste my time & petrol & accept it's fecked forever? I'm going to have to order another zz3 from camskill as I can't stand the arrowspeed. It looks like an F1 wet tyre but performs like it's made of ice, it's a winter death trap.

Excuse my poor grammar I'm from Yorkshire & been on the Stella.

:p

I've seen cars with chunks of sidewall missing, and cuts down to canvas

Can't see why it would be unsafe to repair. No harm in getting it double checked

Best case they fix it, refit, and you sell the budget on eBay

Back on topic, unfortunately I would go for a new tyre. If you can repair the old one I would only trust it as a spare.

I've seen cars with chunks of sidewall missing, and cuts down to canvas

Can't see why it would be unsafe to repair. No harm in getting it double checked

Best case they fix it, refit, and you sell the budget on eBay

You many have seen them but it doesnt mean its safe!

Damage to the tyre will result in it being more likely to fail, even at low speed making it extreamly dangerous.

I would replace it and keep you, passengers and other road users safe!

i'm with you millzeh. get that fixed and back on. even better sell it once fixed to somebody else and it can become their problem.

A car can pass an mot with a mark on sidewall as long as the canvas isn't visible

That's what AA man told me when my tyre got cut

If the impression is only 0.5mm deep then its about as deep as the pattern on the sidewall itself

But could be damaged on the inside of the tyre along the line

Garage will tell you whats best

I will see my usual garage on Monday & see what they say, I will most probably spend another £75 on replacement & sell the arrow speed on flebay or keep in the shed as a spare. I've been driving for over 10 years & it's my first ever puncture. I bet some chav placed the screw under if not it's serious bad luck when Christmas is around the corner.

Back