• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Thinking of buying my first type-R but something's bugging me

Hi folks, I'm a new member seeking advice.

After a lot of saving I've finally got the cash to upgrade from my boring 1.6 focus. The focus st was my obvious choice until I took a fn2 civic type-r for a test drive, now I'm smitten and can't wait to get my hands on a civic. This forum has been really useful to learn more about the car. I'm going for a second look at an 08 plate type-r GT tomorrow that looks like a very good deal but something is bugging me that is a bit unusual.

On the boot there are loads of scratches above the number plate on the clear plastic panel. The scratches cover about two inches all the way around the red 'H' logo and the plastic almost looks white. The dealer says he does not know what caused them but suspects it was the chunky rings on the previous owners hands when releasing the boot but I'm not so sure. The scratches look to cover too big an area to be caused by that. Sorry I can't provide pics, the seller has taken it off autotrader for me.

The dealer has agreed to let me take it to my local honda dealers with him to get the car checked over, but should I be worried about these scratches? I'm a bit concerned that they suggest the car has been poorly looked after. Anyone know what else may have caused it?

The dealer is a very small independent dealer and will not fix it as he knows the car is priced cheaply. The cheapest I can get the part for is £225. If I buy the car I will definitely get it fixed, but does anyone know of a cheaper fix?

Sorry for the long post but any help would be much appreciated. I'll get some pics up soon if I buy the car.

IMO if the car has that sort of damage then the owner didn't really give a toss. Can't imagine what the engine would have been treated like.

I would avoid it like the plague.

There are loads out there so don't let yourself think that that is the only one.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO if the car has that sort of damage then the owner didn't really give a toss. Can't imagine what the engine would have been treated like.

I would avoid it like the plague.

There are loads out there so don't let yourself think that that is the only one.

How the hell can you jump to that conclusion? :confused::confused:

To the OP. Take it to the dealers and if they give it a clean bill of health and it's a good price then go for it.

Thanks, that was what I thought, but it is a good deal and I'm really keen to pick one up soon. I would have thought that all 3 year old type-r's will have been driven hard but I don't want one that has been mistreated or run on low oil. I was going to take it to a Honda dealer to get checked out tomorrow, do you think they will be able to tell me much about how the engine has been treated?

I'm after a fn2 type-r GT, 08 plate or newer with less than 35000 miles, in black or silver with the 19" Rage alloys. The one I'm looking at is only 7 miles from my house, an 08 plate with 24000 miles in black for only £9300. I've done a HPI check which came back clear.

It looks like a good deal but I don't want to end up with one that has been badly treated. If the Honda dealers give it the all clear should I still avoid it?

I should add that the only other problems with it are that the front alloys are slightly scuffed, but have new Yokohama tyres on. There are some light scratches to one part of the bonnet that look like they were caused by a cat or something, and couple of cigarette burns in the carpet just inside the drivers door. Other than that the paintwork looks good with only a couple of light stone chips.

The car had one service after 16 months at about 11000 miles at a Honda dealer, then another last month by the dealer that is selling it at 24000 miles and the car is 3 years and 4 months old. Dealer reckons it was owned by a builder who has a 3-series as well and used it at the weekends.

What do you guys reckon, too good to be true?

How the hell can you jump to that conclusion? :confused::confused:

To the OP. Take it to the dealers and if they give it a clean bill of health and it's a good price then go for it.

So you would consistently scratch your car knowing you were doing it? I know I would be f*cked off if I did it once and make sure I didn't do it again.
By the way the OP explained it wasn't just a one off!! That says to me the last owner didn't give a t*ss they were doing it.

BTW that was my opinion. I would look at a better example.

I should add that the only other problems with it are that the front alloys are slightly scuffed, but have new Yokohama tyres on. There are some light scratches to one part of the bonnet that look like they were caused by a cat or something, and couple of cigarette burns in the carpet just inside the drivers door. Other than that the paintwork looks good with only a couple of light stone chips.

The car had one service after 16 months at about 11000 miles at a Honda dealer, then another last month by the dealer that is selling it at 24000 miles and the car is 3 years and 4 months old. Dealer reckons it was owned by a builder who has a 3-series as well and used it at the weekends.

What do you guys reckon, too good to be true?

Cigarette burns and servicing not being adhered to = avoid.

Believe me, you will find better cars than that. Don't waste your money, it's a buyers Market out there at the mo.

take you time when buying, and if it has missing history think of the problems when going to re-sell.

Thanks for the responses folks,

The lack of full service history and slight question marks about how well it has been looked after do ring alarm bells and I can afford to spend up to £12k at a push so it sounds like I should probably give this one a miss. Thanks for the heads up about problems selling it on, I would rather wait for one in better condition but being from Yorkshire I do love a good bargain and I'm pretty keen to pick one up soon.

There is another 08 plate up in Leeds with 36000 miles for £10000 which the dealer tells me is in good condition other than a few very small stone chips, slightly scuffed wheels and a worn gear stick gaitor which they are replacing.

It has higher mileage than the one at £9300 but has a full service history of 3 sevices all done by a Honda dealership.

I'm tempted to pay the extra £700 as it sounds like it has been better looked after, but I guess you can never be too sure how well a used car has been looked after unless you know the previous owner personally.

What do you guys think is more important - full service history and good condition or lower mileage and a bit of a cash saving?

I bought mine from Honda at a couple of years old.
It was supplied by them, serviced on the dot by them, and in my 3 yrs of ownership I have had it serviced by them on each of the 3 anniversarys on the dot, and they have replaced tyres, brake discs/pads.
Only other thing replaced was ARB drop links.

I've not had a spot of bother with it and it drives just like new.
I'll by my next one from a Honda Dealer too.

12 month warranty inc with a Honda Approved car - not that you'll need it.

FYI, 25k-35k '07 plate GT models £8995 at my local dealer a couple of weeks back.
One in red, one in deep bronze pearl.
By the time I got down the following day they were both sold though.:(

Thanks guys,

Dunes - that's a great shout, much appreciated. I had my heart set on one with the Rage wheels but the one you pointed out is £1000 cheaper than the one I was thinking about and has a lot lower mileage. At that price I will consider that one and others with the 18" wheels. That way when I wear the tyres out I can use the saving towards a set of winter tyres and buy some 19's with summer tyres as well. :lol:

hi bud, just another thing to look out for... make sure the valve clearances check was done at the 25k service.

also I am selling my 58 plate fn2 GT with nav/hft and 19" rages. it's milano red though and has 39k miles but am willing to let it go for a good price if you're interested?

Thanks for the tip about the valve clearance check FN2. From checking out this forum I realised that some Honda dealers do not know it should be done at the second service. It's not a deal breaker for me though, been quoted around £70 to get it done.

Sorry, but I'm not really intereted in a red type-r, just personal preference. I'm gonna keep looking for one in great condition and consider getting one with standard wheels. That way when I need to get new tyres I can buy a winter set and try to pick up some Rage wheels and summer tyres as well.

Not a problem bud, just thought I'd put it out there as I'm selling ;-)

Also bear in mind that decent tyres for the rages will cost from £170 upwards each. Rages are also known to corrode so if you do find one within warranty, demand that they are replaced. I did the same and got a fresh set of wheels. For the budget, you could afford a car with manufacturers warranty (useful to know that you have it to fall back on if any issues.) Main things that I had issues with were the wheels corroding, clutch noise, rattling in the car from dash and window rattling when half open.Thankfully most of these sorted now. Keep an eye out for them. :)

i would not buy a car of that value without a flawless service history. bodywork little scratches and fag burns wouldn't be the end of the world if the price was lower to take these into account. but the history is inexcusable and make resale a nightmare.

...try and buy from a "big" dealer and get any little faults sorted in your negotiations. I got mine from a BMW dealer who put a new gear gaitor on, resprayed front and rear lower bumpers (lightly chipped), serviced it at a Honda dealer for me and sorted 3rd gear sync... all for £500 under the asking price...

great deals can be had so just be cheaky and ask and if they don't play ball, walk away...there's enough about to pick from

...standard wheels are great, dead easy to clean

Not a problem bud, just thought I'd put it out there as I'm selling ;-)

Also bear in mind that decent tyres for the rages will cost from £170 upwards each. Rages are also known to corrode so if you do find one within warranty, demand that they are replaced. I did the same and got a fresh set of wheels. For the budget, you could afford a car with manufacturers warranty (useful to know that you have it to fall back on if any issues.) Main things that I had issues with were the wheels corroding, clutch noise, rattling in the car from dash and window rattling when half open.Thankfully most of these sorted now. Keep an eye out for them. :)

How did you get the rattling in the car from dash and window rattling when half open sorted? I got exactly the same problems...plus the left side (bushes) suspension squeeky noise...

Thanks

Ken

How did you get the rattling in the car from dash and window rattling when half open sorted? I got exactly the same problems...plus the left side (bushes) suspension squeeky noise...

Thanks

Ken

The dash rattling was intermittent and seemed to be coming from different areas each time, it has calmed down a lot and doesn't happen so much anymore. I'm still uncertain what is was/is but the areas I believe you should check are the tweeter speakers on the upper part of the doors, the rev display housing, door handles, locks, switches, glovebox, sun visors, wing mirrors and air vents. Would help loads if you know somebody with good hearing that could find the noises when you're driving along. It seems that all FN2s suffer from this problem.

The window rattle was apparently solved by adjusting the seals and runners, it is a lot better but not quite 100%.

Squeeky suspension - I have no idea, I've not had that problem but would definately get that checked out.

Back