• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Those damn screws holding the Disc to the hub.

Ped

Ordered some brakes the other day. Just replacements. Went to fit them today and knew from past experience when fitting my rear replacements those screws are a nightmare. Last time, I got to the disc removal after full stripping the brake of and fitting new pads etc. And to come so close and stumble up was annoying so this time around I went straight to those screws first and yep. Stuck like a mare.

Is there any amazing trick or technique to them or am I just going to have a to drill the head off to get the disc off and mole grip the thread out again after purchasing replacement screws?

As above or if that fails, drill about a quarter of an inch down through the centre of the screw then use an easy out/screw extractor to remove the blasted thing.

Honestly.

Spend a bit and buy an impact driver.

It'll save you so much time and hassle.

You don't actually need replacement screws. The wheel holds the discs in place :) lots of people including myself don't use the screws.

Save the money and put it towards Stoo's advice ;)

Yeah I considered not using the screws haha!

I can get hold of an impact driver quite easily as my uncle and cousin are joiners with them. But I still feel the driver head will want to hop out... But I guess holding the whole gun pushing against the car might be most the effort needed!

Impact driver didn't budge them just clutched the battery dead. Resorted to drilling hammering. Still on there solid as a rock. Going mental inside.

What impact driver did you use?

I used a manual one hit with a hammer, and mine were stuck BAD. The hammer & manual impact driver sorted them.

DeWalt stubby. Think it needs more Torque. When I get them off I won't be replacing these screws I know that much!

Yep, hit with hammer and win.

Mine were seriously seriously not budging. hammer time was great.

I did some hitting. Did you just lay into the brake disc where the pads are in contact as I didn't want to his this part...

Cool well tomorrow I shall pay them a visit. Will only be able to use it on one side now I've smashed into both screws with drill bits. Will just have to continue to drill that side out...

Back