• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Those damn screws holding the Disc to the hub.

You can use a centre punch and a hammer to remove these screws.

On the head of the countersunk screw aim the centre punch at a 45 degree angle to the surface, if the head were a dart board place the punch on a double and direct in the direction that would twist the screw in a anticlockwise motion. Give it a good strike and they usually crack off. You can then use the screwdriver to unscrew them. File off the burr the punch has left and reuse. :)

File off the burr the punch has left and reuse. :)
Personally I wouldn't reuse any screw you've used a centre punch to remove, with csk screws you normally deform the head doing it

Last edited by a moderator:
You can use a centre punch and a hammer to remove these screws.

On the head of the countersunk screw aim the centre punch at a 45 degree angle to the surface, if the head were a dart board place the punch on a double and direct in the direction that would twist the screw in a anticlockwise motion. Give it a good strike and they usually crack off. You can then use the screwdriver to unscrew them. File off the burr the punch has left and reuse. :)

Sound advice. We've only had to do this when someone else has worked on the cars. Use a dab of copper slip when using a new retainer screw.

I wouldn't worry it's your wheel nuts that hold everything together really.

I know they do, the reason why I suggested not reusing a countersunk screw you've used a centre punch to remove is because you need to get it out next time and odds are you've weakened the head by removing with a centre punch.

I know they do, the reason why I suggested not reusing a countersunk screw you've used a centre punch to remove is because you need to get it out next time and odds are you've weakened the head by removing with a centre punch.

Yep to be honest I wouldnt reuse one. Just make sure you use copper slip.

My friend drilled my screws out when they got stuck....so I no longer have screws. However, I do still have the original OEM shims for the brake pads which I am told many cars no longer have because they stuck to the back of the pads and got thrown away....or have I been ill-informed?!?

I do still have the original OEM shims for the brake pads which I am told many cars no longer have because they stuck to the back of the pads and got thrown away....or have I been ill-informed?!?

I dont know about others but I've still got my shims

If the pads come with shims, use them. They help to stop the pads moving about and making a noise.

I bought a Halfords impact driver when I did my rear discs. It worked but I did knacker one of the heads.

You can use a centre punch and a hammer to remove these screws. On the head of the countersunk screw aim the centre punch at a 45 degree angle to the surface, if the head were a dart board place the punch on a double and direct in the direction that would twist the screw in a anticlockwise motion. Give it a good strike and they usually crack off. You can then use the screwdriver to unscrew them. File off the burr the punch has left and reuse. :)
This is what I did on my DC5 when I put Paul G discs on it. No idea how long the OEM ones were on for but they screws wouldn't budge with an impact driver.

Im glad to hear everyone else has similar problems and at least realises they are a pain and an issue and that im not just pathetic lol.

I am one of those people who has no shims.

Back