• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Timing/Cam Belt or Chain?

NYA

Can somebody answer the above, has my CTR got one or the other, its an '01, prefacelift. And at waht interval should either be replaced. Cheers :D

timing chain on ctr's...

CTR's dont have a cambelt :)

The chain gang is cool - replacement? No way!!! :twisted:

Timing chain is designed to pretty much outlast the rest of the engine.

Thanks folks,was searching this topic,my ctr will have done 39k when i buy
it at the weekend,so was looking for info on this i thought cts's were belt driven-i know some (all?) bmw's are chain driven-so cheers....need to read up on valve clearances now as seen this topic talked about on the forum cheers.... :smt024

quote:"Timing chain is designed to pretty much outlast the rest of the engine."

Just a quickie on this again-what about the timing chain tensioner on ctr's anyone know if these are made of nylon etc? if so surely this would
need checking/replacing on higher mileage cars?the missus had one go on a tigra-not good!! any help on this would be appreciated-im sure honda ought to check for this on say a 50k+service for any wear or tear
though i know there isn't a specified time really because it is chain driven rather than belt driven-any answers on this greatly appreciated thanks...

quote:"Timing chain is designed to pretty much outlast the rest of the engine."

Just a quickie on this again-what about the timing chain tensioner on ctr's anyone know if these are made of nylon etc? if so surely this would
need checking/replacing on higher mileage cars?the missus had one go on a tigra-not good!! any help on this would be appreciated-im sure honda ought to check for this on say a 50k+service for any wear or tear
though i know there isn't a specified time really because it is chain driven rather than belt driven-any answers on this greatly appreciated thanks...
Don't know what the tensioner is made from but there is no schedule for checking any of the timing chain 'gubbins' so i think its safe to assume it'll be fine. If its one this Honda know its how to make engines. ;)

I would imagine the TCT is pretty similar to the one on the S2000.
These do ware and replacement will be required, however they start making funny noises on the S2000.

Part is around £200 and it's either a 5 minute DIY job or an hours labour at Honda.

I would imagine the TCT is pretty similar to the one on the S2000.
These do ware and replacement will be required, however they start making funny noises on the S2000.

Part is around £200 and it's either a 5 minute DIY job or an hours labour at Honda.

What funny noise do they make fella?

I'm thinking of getting mine replaced soon as TDi recommend it's done at the 75k service. '02 with 55k on the clock. I get a bit of a squeeling noise at 2000rpm of so, but any higher or lower rpm (and once the cars warmed up) and it's gone.

Cheers...

That's that theory blown on the random squeel ! :lol:

Incase you haven't found out

The squeeling noise your getting is from the Flywheel, apparently it's a common fault on EP3 civic's, have had mine replaced twice now. Hope this helps

I'm thinking of getting mine replaced soon as TDi recommend it's done at the 75k service. '02 with 55k on the clock. I get a bit of a squeeling noise at 2000rpm of so, but any higher or lower rpm (and once the cars warmed up) and it's gone.

Mine makes a metallic whine at exactly 2K RPM when cold. Was it the flyhweel?

[video=youtube;gUiv10ZQZsg]old link autoupdated[/video]

hi all, i ve recently brought a type r ep3 and its had a rattle when first starting it. i ve took it to my local stealer (dealer) and they said the timming chain is worn and is on its last legs, the car has covered 83000, is this normal at this sort of mileage?
and who is the best person to do it in the derbyshire area as the dealer wants £750
thanks for any help in advance

For a standard NA car change the tensioner @ 75K. For a highly modified NA or FI change the tensioner and chain 25K earlier.

Trust me I have paid the bills - its much cheaper to plan for it. The chains do stretch if not standard and may whip on downshift - then you will be sorry.

Seano

I had a problem the other day went out in the car came back and after a few hours would not start. Got AA out no joy then towed to the dealer and test first thought was ecu but now turns out timing chain has streatched and now needs replacing still waiting to hear how much the dealer is going to mug me for. But worth checking the timing chain even *** it states does not need replacing

Back