• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Tinted Windows

Can anyone tell me where i could get my windows tinted in a legal shade ie like the type r30.Live in the Doncaster area

Unit8 near Manchester? IIRC, the rears can be as dark as you want, but not on the front windows or windshield.

heard good things about unit 8, nice pricing if i recall.

behind the B pillar (3/4 and rear window) can be as dark as u like.

the front windows on each side can be 25% or 35% tint, i forget which. i think the CTR has 7% tint from factory on the glass so i would go with light on the front if you want to tint at all.

techincally all cars produced after feb 2003 are not aloud any tint on the front windows whatsoever. big grey area about this as loads of luxury cars come with front tints as standard.

windscreen is not aloud to be tinted at all.

rossy t said:
heard good things about unit 8, nice pricing if i recall.

behind the B pillar (3/4 and rear window) can be as dark as u like.

the front windows on each side can be 25% or 35% tint, i forget which. i think the CTR has 7% tint from factory on the glass so i would go with light on the front if you want to tint at all.

techincally all cars produced after feb 2003 are not aloud any tint on the front windows whatsoever. big grey area about this as loads of luxury cars come with front tints as standard.

windscreen is not aloud to be tinted at all.
Close - it's 30% tint for side windows, & 25% for windscreen as at April 2004 (according to http://www.vosa.gov.uk)

More info from here:

http://www.itv-motoring.com/features/everything_else/2276.asp

VOSA is itself empowered to stop vehicles for roadside checks in North Wales, Cambridgeshire, Staffordshire, Northumberland and Greater Manchester. Elsewhere it works in conjunction with the police.

The legal position is that the front side windows on all cars must allow 70% of light to pass through them. That figure also applies to the windscreens of cars first used before April 1985; any car first used from then onwards has to let 75% of light through the windscreen.

If the meter registers figures better than those mentioned above during a roadside check, there is no problem. If between 45% and 65% of light gets through, the driver is advised to have the tinting removed, failure to do which might result in a prosecution and a fine of up to £2000.

For between 30% and 45% of light transmission the vehicle is assumed to be unfit for use but not to pose an immediate danger. A delayed prohibition is issued and the owner has up to ten days from the date of issue to remove the tint.

At less than 30% the legal position is that driving the vehicle would involve a risk of injury, and the vehicle cannot be moved under its own power from the issuing of the prohibition notice until the tint has been removed.

Got mine done at the weekend at Tint-R in nottingham. They did me a forum deal of £100 for the rear three. Excellent job and highly recommended.

think the hovis factory is up near you, so just pop it in and ask for their bread van kit!

Back