• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Toda Stroker Kit with JRSC

Looking into having the above done, already have 9 psi JRSC on a slightly tired K20 (113k miles) lump, thinking about 2.2 ltr stroker kit and upgraded internals with IPS cams and strap the JRSC back on, up the boost 11-13 psi and add some nitrous, anybody heard of this being done, wonder what power this could create if possible.

Compression would be too high if you went with the Toda kit mate, as it's a N/A designed kit. look into possibly some of the Crower options from the US as i'm pretty sure they do stroker kits with F/I options available :)

The mileage issue wouldn't really be a problem as you'll be replacing all the bearings/rods/rank/pistons so you'll effectively have a brand new bottom end of the engine :)

http://www.crower.com/cat/import/honda/stroker/stroker.shtml

Good luck mate with what ever you do Im sure we'd all like to see a stroked jrsd CTR, I wondered about building a spare engine myself and didn't too realise that the Toda kit would not be compatable.

2.4 is an option though. Iirc Guy is doing something along the 2.4 lines :?:

Yuo can use a K24 bottom end mated with a K20A2 head, alot of the guys in the US seem to be using this option alot for boosted applications :)

HASNIC said:
Yuo can use a K24 bottom end mated with a K20A2 head, alot of the guys in the US seem to be using this option alot for boosted applications :)

This would be the K24 from the latest accord :?:

P Reddy said:
HASNIC said:

This would be the K24 from the latest accord :?:

Yeah or the TSX as its called in the States :)

The bottom end of the K24 mated to the K20A2 head needs a bit of fettling to get the full 50deg cam rotation but once sorted it seems to be a pretty powerfull combo!

www.k20a.org as loads of info on doing this type of hybrid engine combo :wink:

clockwisemotion are also doing the enlarged engines, fingers crossed the plan is to take it out to 2400cc, lower the compression and take the boost to 11psi

If you go the built engine route then personally I would go Turbo, as then its much simpler to uprate the boost.

Will be interesting to see a 2.4L with a JR on though or even a Rotrex like everything most things are possible its just a limit on how big your wallet is.

Tarticus said:
If you go the built engine route then personally I would go Turbo, as then its much simpler to uprate the boost.

Will be interesting to see a 2.4L with a JR on though or even a Rotrex like everything most things are possible its just a limit on how big your wallet is.

turbo's gonna be the better option imo

but most ppl dream when these threads come up with the "im thinking about" topic

Depends if you want all out power, have not driven a turbo civic, but have driven scooby sti, and I like the power delivery of the supercharger, must be quite hard to drive a turbo fwd with that amount of power.

CTR said:
Personally I'd stay SC'd on the Civic.

Seems to be the way to go for everyday performance at the moment...
but who's to say Turbo will not be soon?

Ryans car went very well at Jap show, on a modest set up.

Personally, I have not driven or been in one yet so I don't know
what drivability is like, Ry has done both jrsc and Turbo, and has said
I would not be dissapointed if I converted over. :|

I have drove both, as have had the pleasure of Driving guys at a measly 8psi :) although did dtick it up a bit more later :)

I got to say I wish I had saved a tad more and gone turbo, but would have deffo wanted a built engine and the full monty lots of PSI :)

Got to say though even an 8psi it was an awsome feeling when it came on boost and I know Guy will agree with me but again I felt little or no Turbo Lag at all and it felt very very responsive.

Depends what you want, dont get me wrong a JRSC car will still shock a lot of (bigger power cars) and will keep up with Evos M3`s Scoobys etc etc and is great fun.

But big power has to be turbo

And for everyday use and allround drivability...big power really belongs with RWD or 4wd....

There is really a practical limit as far as big power and fwd goes (and I am not talking about special set ups for track or strip), as in the end all that power derived from all that hard earned cash is just being spun away...

But I guess folks will do whatever folks will do :D After all that is I guess part of the fun...finding what those limits are. Hell I remember when 150 bhp through the front wheels was outragous, and my old 205 with that torque steered like a be-aitch, and my CTR has nearly double that...so what do i know.

G said:
And for everyday use and allround drivability...big power really belongs with RWD or 4wd....

There is really a practical limit as far as big power and fwd goes (and I am not talking about special set ups for track or strip), as in the end all that power derived from all that hard earned cash is just being spun away...

But I guess folks will do whatever folks will do :D After all that is I guess part of the fun...finding what those limits are. Hell I remember when 150 bhp through the front wheels was outragous, and my old 205 with that torque steered like a be-aitch, and my CTR has nearly double that...so what do i know.

Agree with that. 8)

For everyday driving, in all weather conditions you have to stay NA, or be very carefull with a SC. Its all well and good in the dry having all that power but remember most of us live in the UK where its raining at some point in the country every day! :roll:

Go Turbo, and to do it properly you need to spend £££££ and strengthen the engine, clutch, drive shafts etc etc. Uber power yes, but just how good in a normal UK damp misty morning?

Then again.....you can spend similar money and get yourself a purpose made turbo car with chasis and drivetrain to cope in all if not most conditions. :wink:

tp said:
G said:

Agree with that. 8)

For everyday driving, in all weather conditions you have to stay NA, or be very carefull with a SC. Its all well and good in the dry having all that power but remember most of us live in the UK where its raining at some point in the country every day! :roll:

Go Turbo, and to do it properly you need to spend £££££ and strengthen the engine, clutch, drive shafts etc etc. Uber power yes, but just how good in a normal UK damp misty morning?

Then again.....you can spend similar money and get yourself a purpose made turbo car with chasis and drivetrain to cope in all if not most conditions. :wink:

I Agree with this to a certain extent.
A high power fwd car in the wet is a waste of time booting. Period.
But on a wet day, you should'nt be racing around anyway fwd or 4wd.
On track I believe a powerfull fwd sorted car like the CTR, can be as
quick if not quicker than what is regarded as better machinery eg STi or Evo.
In standard form My CTR WAS, quicker around Donnington than a classic shape WRX and a friends Evo 5.

I supose it all depends on what you want from your driving expeirance, especially on track. A jrsc'd ctr with coilovers and decent brakes will keep
pace with almost any road car, Quick around track but a little unrewarding
at the same time, a bit like the newer Evo's.

A 500bhp sorted Evo 5-6 would be so much more fun to drive, even if only as quick.
I have nearly changed my car so many times, for an Evo or Skyline then have been on another track day and laid waste to much more powerfull cars and changed my mind.
Personally I love having a "lesser car" Supercharged and keeping up with GT3's.......hopefully.
Where's the fun in having a Ferrari, thinking your the NUTS, and some kid
in a supped up Civic flashes yer out the way! :lol: Brilliant. same goes for Evo's because they are just NOT expecting it.

N/A no way. Boost it all the way

TBH I was primeraly refering to everyday road use. Very different from track of course.

TBH Scoobys are not very good examples of decent track cars, they are not inherantly set up as such, with the possible exception of a Spec C RA or perhaps a P1, Ver 5 RA....It is well known that standard STI's and WRX understeer waaay to much to be effective track cars. Though of course this is to do with the chassis and kind of diffs and how they distribute power. Having said that the new cars are better due to the adjustable diffs.

The CTR of course was developed on track as well as the road which is why it allways does so well in these kinds of comparisons. I do agree that they can, with a few well chosen mods really embarass much better machines on track. But then any well sorted and well driven car can, just ask Matt in his standard 1.6 Mitsi Colt, and the M3's and STI's he managed to get Blue Flagged at a recent track day :lol: :lol:

Sorry I am digressing a bit :oops: . For me the advantage of the JRSC on the FWD car is simply one of throttle control. It fully retains the precise imputs of an N/A car, making my CTR feel more like it has an extra ltr or couple of cylinders. And whilst I again agree that it is better to take it easy in the wet, whatever you drive, it is nice to know you can still get the power down without boost suddenly chiming in or out and spoiling the party. If you know what I mean.

G said:
TBH I was primeraly refering to everyday road use. Very different from track of course.

TBH Scoobys are not very good examples of decent track cars, they are not inherantly set up as such, with the possible exception of a Spec C RA or perhaps a P1, Ver 5 RA....It is well known that standard STI's and WRX understeer waaay to much to be effective track cars. Though of course this is to do with the chassis and kind of diffs and how they distribute power. Having said that the new cars are better due to the adjustable diffs.

The CTR of course was developed on track as well as the road which is why it allways does so well in these kinds of comparisons. I do agree that they can, with a few well chosen mods really embarass much better machines on track. But then any well sorted and well driven car can, just ask Matt in his standard 1.6 Mitsi Colt, and the M3's and STI's he managed to get Blue Flagged at a recent track day :lol: :lol:

Sorry I am digressing a bit :oops: . For me the advantage of the JRSC on the FWD car is simply one of throttle control. It fully retains the precise imputs of an N/A car, making my CTR feel more like it has an extra ltr or couple of cylinders. And whilst I again agree that it is better to take it easy in the wet, whatever you drive, it is nice to know you can still get the power down without boost suddenly chiming in or out and spoiling the party. If you know what I mean.

You kinda manage to put it better than me :oops:
My car feels more progressive JRSC than N/A in power delivery, and a highly tuned N/A ctr, surely you will lose some drivability????
Lumpy low down??? maybe??
Also why spend 10k to get @300 N/A when a blower can do it for 3k :?

Every one to there own, I s'pose.

I know I keep boring peeps going on about S/C all time! :oops:
But I think it makes the car feel like it ought to. have a ride
in a stanard one after owning a S/C :shock:

Back