• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Tp's FN2 vs Tp's EP3 * NOW STOLEN!

tp

Can't be arsed reading 18 pages of the Top Gear test results. It's called "entertainment" and contains the odd reference to cars. It’s no longer a true representation of motoring and more a light hearted view on the presenters opinions only.

People are taking it all so seriously and your always going to get people saying their cars better than the new one....purely because that is what they have. Yeah things move on. For me the FN2 is a better looking car and better to drive on a long run. It feels more solid and has a better feel to it. Suspension is a bit choppy but no big deal. Its a hot hatch! Seats are better than the EP3. I never let people get in the drivers side anyway as the seats don’t have a "memory" but then they didn’t have in the EP3 either and that annoyed me. I only need to set it the once then.

For anyone that doesn’t know me I had an 03 NHB CTR from new. It got heavily modified (NA) with 5 different sets of camshafts tested, was drag raced and tracked. I sold it back to the dealers a few months ago with 85K on it for a new FN2 NHB non-GT on 18's as I didn’t want aircon and the added weight of that and the gizmo's. I have driven and owned the EP3 so I know what the older car was like.;)

I have now got 6K on the FN2 and am very happy. Its more economical over a long run than the EP ever was and feels very lively in pretty much any gear. Steering feel is better and overall there is more space inside. Vtec changeover is smoothed out so you don’t get the lag. Ride as I said is a bit choppy on a bumpy road but I can live with that. Personally I think it could be lowered about 20mm and this would help as it feels the cars rolling a bit on fast corners.
Push the car hard on a corner and it does wash out, but then the EP3 did that. What its screaming out for is an LSD. £1K will get you a Quaife supplied and fitted then I honestly don’t think the standard or even lightly modified EP3 will live with it on a track. Brakes also feel a lot better as standard with is good.

There is the weight thing of course and this is a big issue if your comparing the 2 cars. I mentioned I have the Non GT, I also have the 18" rims. 19s look good, aircon is nice but all adds about a good 20-30kg.

Now as for power. Honda are quoting same figures as the older EP3. We all know that the K20A2 didn’t start loosening up until it had about 20K on the clock and never made book figures unless you had one of the very rare good-uns we have seen. I knew the car was pulling similar power if not more than my old EP3 even with the extra weight and had also heard figures banded around of dyno tests throwing up figures of 205-215bhp which I did think a bit optimistic.....until I attended a rolling road day recently at TDi North.

People will moan about dyno's not reading true numbers, finger in air figures but over the last few years and money invested in the software Paul’s dyno at TDi is reading pretty much same as the CPL and a couple of other Dyno Dynamics so can be used as a benchmark.

A standard EP3 IS reading 195-200bhp as seen many times.
My FN2, Totally standard made 211.9bhp/156.7ft/lb :twisted:

Now to put this into perspective, I made 211bhp with my EP3 with a GruppeM, Spoon catback and a Kpro.

Now imagine what you can get with a good basic NA setup on the newer engines. Couple that with an LSD and you will have a pretty potent package.

So to summarise, I have lived with an EP3 for 4 years and chopped it in for an FN2 and made the right decision. Better car to live with, better car to drive. My opinion anyway.;)

Stock FN2 tested on a CTR Dyno day.

fn2stockhv9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Graet review mate!!!:D

How much BHP will i get with my AEM CAI, its all fitted.

You seem to know what your talking about so i thought i'd ask;)

You only got 211bhp with those mods on your ep3 :confused:

FN2 is a lovely car, just a shame its not quicker than the the ep3 on a track which is what the type-r ethos is all about!

FN2 is a lovely car, just a shame its not quicker than the the ep3 on a track which is what the type-r ethos is all about!

Ok I'll say this again for those who missed it in the other threads, maybe you are right, if you are a very competent driver. If you are just an regular joe like say, me. There is less than nowt in it. Having driven both in such a situation back to back in the same day.

So if one in the hands of Matt Neal say is a second quicker, does that make it a better car? Or are there perhaps other thangs that should be considered. i would never judge how good a car is by what Clarckson says, or by the above criteria. instead drive em both. If it is not your bag fine.

BTW I am not taking it too seriously, nor am I biased (I have an EP and have had the same one since '02.). I just dispair at those who seem to form opinions based on how fast the Stig took it round a track, especially when you are comparing road cars.

and grrrrrrrrr :D

Of course Jules if you have driven them both on a track and road, then i apologise wholeheartedly.

I was trying to get the misses to get a FN2 as a company car, but shes changed her mind after Top Gear :evil: Think she may get a S2000 though :twisted:

Power, Yes. I made 209 with the Hondata "Tuned" map and 211 with the RSX Cold air map. No other tuning was done. You could get more out of it but as I had a race manifold to be fitted a few weeks after there wasnt much point.

And how do you know its slower round a track?;)

Non GT....It was a GT that was tested so a lot heavier.

More aerodynamic, wider tires, less drag. (Have you looked underneath an FN2? Full undertray) Admittedly the "Holy Wingmirror Batman" effect may not help much but give a following wind and am sure it helps the mpg!:lol:

I wouldnt pay much attention to Top Gear. I watch it and like it but its entertainment.
Clarkson didn't like it.
Hamster did like it
Stig liked it.

Most importantly I like it and thats the one that counts. If your happy with what you have, nobody elses opinions on your choice should matter.;)

It just wouldnt make sense for it to be quicker unless that space age shape cuts through the laws of physics.
Im sure there will be pish all in it though.

Going off paper stats your ep3 would have had 178bhp/ton
our fn2 will curently have 164bhp/ton

There is no way it could be quicker :confused:

At the end of they day im glad you like it mate. I love mine and so we can all drink cocoa and sing songs :D Its all good!

Power, Yes. I made 209 with the Hondata "Tuned" map and 211 with the RSX Cold air map. No other tuning was done. You could get more out of it but as I had a race manifold to be fitted a few weeks after there wasnt much point.

And how do you know its slower round a track?;)

Non GT....It was a GT that was tested so a lot heavier.

More aerodynamic, wider tires, less drag. (Have you looked underneath an FN2? Full undertray) Admittedly the "Holy Wingmirror Batman" effect may not help much but give a following wind and am sure it helps the mpg!:lol:

I wouldnt pay much attention to Top Gear. I watch it and like it but its entertainment.
Clarkson didn't like it.
Hamster did like it
Stig liked it.

Most importantly I like it and thats the one that counts. If your happy with what you have, nobody elses opinions on your choice should matter.;)
great review mate,i have a non gt fn2 as i didnt want the extra weight(fogs look good though)my mate has the gt model and says the non gt model pulls away little bit quicker than the gt,so we have arranged a little test,fn2 non gt vs fn2 gt vs ep3,should be interesting..

You also have to take into account other factors like how the power is delivered; the map, traction etc. Things are rarely so clear cut.

Wonder if this R will end up in time attack :lol:

Nah. Got my GTR for that.
Cage is nearly finished, kevlar seats and harnesses going in next week and sorting Semi-slicks.
Gonna really enjoy the car this year, just hope it stays together. :fingerscrossedsmilie. :lol:

Doesnt really matter now.:evil:

If anyone sees my black (Non-GT) FN2 please call the police. Reg is very distinct as it ends TPW.
Also have JDM Union Jack badge on the back and a TDi North sticker on it.

It shouldnt get far as it came home on the back of a trailor last night as it had a blowout and damaged passenger wheel

Hope you get it sorted mate. You should have to have your knee caps sledge hammered for car stealing! Bastwerds!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back