• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Track Day Tyre Wear

Just wondering what the tyre wear is like if you do a track day

I got two spare EP3 wheels which will get some tyres specifically for when I'm on track

Do the rear tyres take much abuse due to lift off over steer?

Cheers

Depends if you're getting lift off oversteer :lol:

Tyre wear all depends on track surface, driving style, temperature so it's difficult to say what it'll be like.

Yep difficult this one. Just keep an eye on them and see, after a few trackdays you will know for sure.

My ek9 went through loads of rear tyres, admittedly I did lift off oversteer EVERYWHERE.

Yep difficult this one. Just keep an eye on them and see, after a few trackdays you will know for sure.

My ek9 went through loads of rear tyres, admittedly I did lift off oversteer EVERYWHERE.

We'd almost killed the rears at North Weald by lunch :lol:

I'm guessing initially I won't be a track day hero til I have a few done

So they should be fine!

If not I will look into another two ep3 wheels!

Just wanted to know they are not guaranteed to get destroyed on a day even if I drove like a grandad

Just keep your eye on them through the day. I did two trackdays in my AE86 and they were fine, but there was hardly any mileage in-between.

Ive done 1 full track day at croft and 1 session at japfest and my tyres are in an ok condition. The picked up lots of crap on the surface but that's about it

You will be fine on road tyres, as long as your arnt a hero they will last no problem.

I was initially thinking of a pair of toyo R888s

Then saw the price!!

Looking for a half decent set of part worns

That way if I trash them in one day I won't mind!

Cheers for the info all

I would get a few trackdays under your belt before you start looking at 888, learn how your car handles before going that extra step :)

Track days as in true track days on a circuit will not harm the tyres as much as a Airfield day : some air fields are tyre killers .
Time of year will also play a part due to higher track temp and also the amount of time you are on the track for, unless you are a driving god to start with just take your time build up slowly to a speed that you are happy with. After doing a few days and if you like track days it could be worth getting a spare set of Rims and tyre's just for the track usage.
Just don't go mad and you will find a sweet spot where you are just happy ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have road tyres, they will last, my toyo T1R's went through 3 full days at brands and were fine although they did grain but with my current Falken 452's having done the one day at brands, they didn't show any wear at all

Well im only 45 Mins from castle coombe so will probably be there I do track days

Don't plan on going full tilt until im 100% confident with how it copes and track style driving in the first place

Looking at a few pairs of part worn tyres til I know I want to do more days then buy a pair of good road three to fit to the track alloys

My Toyo T1Rs wore down by about 0.5 - 1mm at a dry Oulton Park in November, and that was pushing them. They get more scuffed if anything.

I killed a set of Toyo's at combe in a day, they were only a few months old. POS tyres.

If you upgraded from a 15" wheel to 17" lowering the profile of the tyre would this make any difference on track?

Back