• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK8 Track Pads

You need to use them more, obviously no where near much as a hot lap but it's important to let them cool gradually to avoid thermal shock.

Assume they're the same as the fk2, on the fk2 release a chap from Germany tracked his regularly and was appalled at the state of the disks, apart from glazing he was starting to see airline fractures coming from the drilled holes, I have pictures somewhere

You need to use them more, obviously no where near much as a hot lap but it's important to let them cool gradually to avoid thermal shock.

Yep. Hasn’t made a difference

They felt okay leaving the track. Following days seem to be where the glazing has started bizarrely. Although that could be perception.

brakes.jpg.2be973j by mikeharper2, on Flickr

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s more than likely that the pads are glazed.

Could well be. Going to have a look what they are like at the weekend. Feels bloody horrible. Only ever happened on a megane when I didn’t cool down properly. Genuinely Not sure what’s caused it this time

Could well be. Going to have a look what they are like at the weekend. Feels bloody horrible. Only ever happened on a megane when I didn’t cool down properly. Genuinely Not sure what’s caused it this time

Most likely glazed pads, I only ever had this issue on my EK9. Once glazed they are done.

I would say you are not hitting the brake pedal hard enough how ever whilst in the minority have said from day 1 the Fk8 Disc /Pad is not up to hard road driving let alone track.

To be fair - every set of dimpled or drilled discs I've ever seen used on track tend to get hairline cracks and glazing. Including OEM BMW M3 steel discs, 911 steel discs... even my Porsche carbon ceramic ones did it.

Looks like they been run with too low pressure, or you’re driving far too aggressively.

Looks like they been run with too low pressure, or you’re driving far too aggressively.

Like I said above pressures were too low even 2.8 hot. Even then was moving around as though pressures were too high and needing low pressures. Obviously not!

I think they are a hard tyre to get in the zone. Hey my excuses are good enough for f1!

I’m actually a very smooth driver and not aggressive at all

I'm currently pricing up some new wheels and tyres. I bought the Type R to be a cheap daily / track car. Getting very expensive, very quickly. I do love it though.

Had a look at the brakes today - pads are gone, as in totally warn away. Discs are scored and won't be able to be skimmed I don't think.

Still surprised after 27 laps - not even pushing massively!

https://youtu.be/ZILrWig2VHc

M3 is a mild track prepped car, and blue Civic is heavily modded track car.

Had a look at the brakes today - pads are gone, as in totally warn away. Discs are scored and won't be able to be skimmed I don't think.

Still surprised after 27 laps - not even pushing massively!

https://youtu.be/ZILrWig2VHc

M3 is a mild track prepped car, and blue Civic is heavily modded track car.

Did u fully disable VSA (just pressing the button wont do it)? That will eat pads if on, but will also save you from code brown or worse! Also, lots of people in the US are switching to 18" for track use (most are running 18x9.5J), prob a good idea to visit Civicx to see what they are doing with their track cars, remember they've had the FK8 since June 2017, so they have more summer experience xD

Did u fully disable VSA (just pressing the button wont do it)? That will eat pads if on, but will also save you from code brown or worse! Also, lots of people in the US are switching to 18" for track use (most are running 18x9.5J), prob a good idea to visit Civicx to see what they are doing with their track cars, remember they've had the FK8 since June 2017, so they have more summer experience xD

Yes fully disabled everything for 80% of the laps. I'm currently debating between getting new wheels etc or just buying a dedicated track car

Yes fully disabled everything for 80% of the laps. I'm currently debating between getting new wheels etc or just buying a dedicated track car

A road car is always going to be a compromise on track, I tracked Elise's for 6 years for fun, gradually improving it for trackdays, it hit a point where the compromise was too great. I had planned to race it but in the end raced a prepped car.

My advice if you want to have fun on the road have a road car, on track buy a race car, the stuff in the middle ends up costing more, voice of experience. How ever an occasional trackday is fine.

In terms of the Contis I'm unimpressed I find they lose performance on the road, when I have the TC on it flickers in 4th gear, that's not good IMHO (1800 miles) god knows how they would survive on track, I think if I ever track mine I will use a set of smaller wheels with a specific track tyre like 888R's.

Any suggestions on a better road tyre?

A road car is always going to be a compromise on track, I tracked Elise's for 6 years for fun, gradually improving it for trackdays, it hit a point where the compromise was too great. I had planned to race it but in the end raced a prepped car.

My advice if you want to have fun on the road have a road car, on track buy a race car, the stuff in the middle ends up costing more, voice of experience. How ever an occasional trackday is fine.

In terms of the Contis I'm unimpressed I find they lose performance on the road, when I have the TC on it flickers in 4th gear, that's not good IMHO (1800 miles) god knows how they would survive on track, I think if I ever track mine I will use a set of smaller wheels with a specific track tyre like 888R's.

Any suggestions on a better road tyre?

Similar! Been there done that with a Honda elise track car. I was always disappointed with it, and moved to some different cars, but you are right - there is always a compromise to be had. The Civic would muller the Elise around oulton - but then it didn't go through a set of brakes and tyres ever session!

Finding where the compromise is, is proving elusive!

The new Pilot Sport 4 are excellent on previous cars so likely to give them a go on the std wheels before splurging on new alloys and dedicated track tyres

Back