• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R EP3 Oil... Which To Buy...

5w40 Fully Synthetic is what you will be recommended all day long.

k9L9q.jpg

ACEA C3 certification is recommended which is usually found in fully synth 5w30 and 5w40. If you've a mega fresh low mileage engine then 5w30 otherwise go with 5w40 as has been previously recommended.

Drop Opie Oils a line, they're doing 15% off at the moment.

From experience I used the Fuchs Silkolene 5w40, t'was very good.

Nice price. I found 4L of it on Ebay NEW for £30 with FREE P&P and open to offers so going to give it a go with him but if not ill have to have a look at Asda... I am sure I know someone working there so maybe discount with them also! 10% I believe!

I was a bit of a lemon and bought some 0W-30 100% synth Castrol Edge oil. I thought it would be fine but now I read this thread and I'm annoyed at my choice! :lol:

Does anyone know if it will be OK in my 05 CTR?

i was recommended between 5w30 and 5w40 to go with 5w40 because when the oil is thicker when the engine is hot.

Oilman + knowledge = 5w40 FULLY SYNTH.

Can anyone help me with this please?

0W-30 fully synth...will it be OK in my car? :confused:

Certainly not going to do any harm seeing as castrol themselves recommend it :)
Pick your model from the vehicle selector below..
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7073092
Just check the level regularily for your own sanity but it should be fine.
Next time round go with 5w40 as recommended by the folks on here who are speaking from experience

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't harm the engine but it will use a bit more oil as it's thinner and also when you rag it you may want to check the oil more as it has a tendancy to burn a little more than 5w30 / 5w40.

You won't harm the engine but it will use a bit more oil as it's thinner and also when you rag it you may want to check the oil more as it has a tendancy to burn a little more than 5w30 / 5w40.

^ this. I used to go through loads of oil in my EP3 on the thinner stuff.

Back