• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R trackday car?

I have been thinking about this for some time and wondered if you guys thinks its a good idea or not? I've been under some pressure from the Mrs to get rid of the Range Rover, its HUGELY! expensive to run and I reckon I've lost about £15k on it in just over a year I've given it some thought and decided to get shot of it .

Now after making that decision I thought about selling the TVR as well, don't get me wrong I love it and it will be gutting to see it go but as I take the dog to work everyday and he won't fit in it I can't use it as much as I should, also its costing me a fortune in company car tax. Its been a good car and its definitely a good one with only minor niggles to date. So my plan would be to sell both cars, lease a brand new shogun (or something similar) as my company car and then buy an older type r. Then I would like to strip that right out get a rollcage fitted, supercharge, increase braking etc. I would only use it for trackdays and those quick spins around the block. I quite fancy this idea but a few questions, how reliable would a s/c type r be as a road and trackday car? Do you think I could purchase, s/c and modify on a budget of about £10k?

Be interesting to hear peoples comments? Of course I could just say stuff it all and buy a

Last edited by a moderator:
which older R?

For me the DC2 would be the one. NA tuned and stripped, be fast enough but the ability if set up right would make up for any loss of speed.

Thinking with my head I'd get a second hand DC5 or EP3 which has already been supercharged. No point in wasting hundreds and hundreds buying new plus the labour rates. I'm sure you can find a good S/C around on the forums

Thinking with my heart, FD2 :twisted: It's new and mega rare!! :D

Have you considered a stage 2 or 3 tuned VX220? a good one can be had for 15kish and goes like STINK!!!

Darren, if track time is on the agenda and a Type R badge is in mind then DC2 ftw. :cool:

FD2 for regular use is certainly a nice option to have. :smt047

Thinking with my head I'd get a second hand DC5 or EP3 which has already been supercharged. No point in wasting hundreds and hundreds buying new plus the labour rates. I'm sure you can find a good S/C around on the forums

Thinking with my heart, FD2 :twisted: It's new and mega rare!! :D

Have you considered a stage 2 or 3 tuned VX220? a good one can be had for 15kish and goes like STINK!!!

Good point about EP3 or DC5, not looking at any 2 seaters as I want something that if need be the dog can jump in the back:D

saw a CW DC5 on pistonheads for 10k

If you were thinking about an S/C tho, definately get one already installed

For sure a DC2 would make the better trackday car, at least from my teg owning buddies it seems to be the more adjustable car to drive. Yet the EP3, well set up can be an excellent car too, there are as other have said the odd decent car that comes up for sale that has had a few decent mods done already.

I had a supercharger on mine and I drove over 40k miles with it on in a couple of years. Looking back now though it was fun, I prefer my car back in it's N/A trim, in the real world with my current tune it is just as quick (up to 80 + mph, and on a track I am sure it would be just as mutch fun.

I do also feel I have a little more piece of mind running n/a, and save a little petrol :).

I would rather have the chassis set up well, decent coilovers (AST, but I would say that), 16" rims running 888's, JDM ARB, stripped interior appart from a couple of decent bucket seats, harnesses. Some AP Dixel disks (if they service Hasnic on track they have to be good). Pads braided hoses etc etc. Perhaps an LSD as well, though I wanted one until Nick convinced me I didn't... yet. He was right as usual :)

A mild engine tune. K-Pro, Exhaust and GruppeM, AEM or even just a drop in K&N filter.

Do that and I reckon you will have a laugh :). And plenty of room in the back for a dog...

Thats spot on G, thats exactly what I was thinking about, a quick and well set up EP3 (I still have a bit of a soft spot for the EP3) would be nice just the job:D

My EP3 is still up for sale to the right buyer and its dog suitable too, Im sure you could hang it off the roll cage somewhere:lol: :lol:

Back