• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TypeGRRR's CR-X siR - Update: 22/04/15 POWER

Will they be on show in the engine bay? Seems a shame to hide them.
No, they'll be hidden, as long as they're there and working, that's good enough for me.

However should I ever change my cam cover again, I'd consider doing something along the lines of:

130_0801_13_z+honda_civic_r+skunk2_cam_gears.jpg

^ Do you get translucent cam covers for the CRX? They're a popular mod on the MR2. Quite a nice touch I suppose.

No, they'll be hidden, as long as they're there and working, that's good enough for me.

However should I ever change my cam cover again, I'd consider doing something along the lines of:

130_0801_13_z+honda_civic_r+skunk2_cam_gears.jpg

That looks pretty good. But you would be going all ASW and from what I can see so far, this car isnt like that one bit :lol:

Chris, since your car spends so much time with the bonnet up, it'd be rude not to have them on show.

What made you opt for the skunk2 cam gears, instead of stock ones, buddy? Mr MASE loves skunk2 stuff, USA DUDE! :lol:
It is rude not to have them on show, but, it could all end in tears if your not careful! I had cam gear cut outs on my old dc2. You have to remove all the plastics from underneath the cam gears side of the engine - including the tensioner(s) If you don't do this, and leave the above in place... Stones/road debris can make it's way in there, rattle around, worst scenario would be a stone getting caught between the pulley and your cam belt. *Not safe for gravel driveways!*

Interested to see whether you gain any extra power from itr cams. I shall watch this space, see you @ TGM sometime :)

Late nights indeed, I can't even remember what I was in for that day(/night)...

It still makes me chuckle Nick. :lol:

Hi there did you buy a blank key from honda and then got it cut else where? would really like to no how you went about it as i have the same problem
thanks in advance
aaron

Hi there did you buy a blank key from honda and then got it cut else where? would really like to no how you went about it as i have the same problem
thanks in advance
aaron
I got it through a group buy on the CRX forum, I'm sure you could buy blanks from Honda though, and yes, just got it cut at a key cutter. I presume your key doesn't have any sort of transponder in it?

Ask Hendy in this thread.;)

Good stuff I'll give Honda a call tomorrow and see what they say, um I don't think I have a transponder in it, I have a Integra dc2 Jdm and the key looks the same as the one in your picture and car has no alarm? Thanks Aaron

Update: Little things

Some of these updates are a little old, so apologies, but I've not had a chance to post them yet.

Steering wheel refresh - Although I liked the feel of my steering wheel, it had started to look a little sorry for itself, with shiny dirty suede and rusty bolts, it was time to set about it.

Before

steering-wheel1.jpg

steering-wheel2.jpg

I wiped over the allen key bolts with some 800 grit, then 1500, finishing with 2500 grit and a bit of spit and polish, I was very surprised how well they came out. :)

steering-wheel3.jpg

I gave the black paint a polish (though I'm slightly regretting this now, as it's quite reflective) and thoroughly cleaned the suede and all the grime vanished.

steering-wheel4.jpg

steering-wheel5.jpg

steering-wheel6.jpg

I'm very happy, as it looks like a brand new wheel now. :cool:

Window trims - The majority of the external rubbers are definitely showing their age, having suffered the elements for twenty years, they are turning grey and blotchy. Having had a brand new front screen rubber I can appreciate what a new piece of rubber can do, so I bought some brand new rear quarter window trims and had a go at bringing the door weather strips back to life with fine sand paper (my answer to everything). :)

New rear quarter trims

rear-quarter-trimsa-1.jpg

Weather strips, before and after

window-trims.jpg

Clips, bits and brackets
I've been going round the car replacing tiny bits and pieces that have been broken since owning it, nothing of any note, but it's satisfying getting the little things sorted.

clips-and-bits2a.jpg

Oil change, new ignition leads, stiff exhaust bushes

The oil was changed last week whilst it was in for it's MOT, which it passed. :cool:

I fitted some Powerflex exhaust mounts to try and stop the exhaust touching the body when burying it into right hand corners (it hasn't worked, well maybe a little). I really need to find a long term solution for this and I suspect it might be a new exhaust, although funds are being spent elsewhere at the moment, so I'll have to just put up with it.

Finally after all the troubles I had with ignition leads, I've bought some Magnecor leads which I hope will fair a lot better than the Bosch ones that nearly didn't get me to JAE!

leads-exh-mounts-oila.jpg

Minor repairs and POWER (said in a Clarkson voice)
I dropped the car off to my local garage this evening to get the only advisory on my MOT attended to; a spilt inner CV boot. I shall be picking it up tomorrow ready for my long drive up to Banbury (DNR) on Friday to get my ITR cams, cam gears and socketed ECU fitted. I'll be staying in a delightful B&B Friday night, before heading off to the dyno Saturday morning for a tune.

Back